MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi i need to remove my rear wheel on my brutale, stupid question which way do i turn the nut to undo as i do not want to damage the threads as the bolt is rather tight any suggestions please

·
Registered
779 Posts
hi i need to remove my rear wheel on my brutale, stupid question which way do i turn the nut to undo as i do not want to damage the threads as the bolt is rather tight any suggestions please

Make sure it's clockwise to remove. Yeah it's tight.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Its left thread so turn clockwise to undo (loosen the wheel) and for tightening turn counterclocwise. Torque properly when reinstalled !!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
thanks just as we thought but the nut would not move any suggestions

Long 4 foot breaker bar. Make sure socket is on flat. Long pipe on the wrench. Don't knock the bike over. :naughty:

I use a round torx key to jam / lock the rear rotor in place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Long 4 foot breaker bar. Make sure socket is on flat. Long pipe on the wrench. Don't knock the bike over. :naughty:

thanks i'll try that tomorrow let you know if we drop the bike hahaha

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

Best to loosen the nut with the bike on it's sidestand, single-sided swingarm a bit precarious to be using a breaker bar with. AND it is VERY TIGHT!
Chris

·
Registered
779 Posts
Best to loosen the nut with the bike on it's sidestand, single-sided swingarm a bit precarious to be using a breaker bar with. AND it is VERY TIGHT!
Chris
I'm not sure how else to break that wheel nut loose safely without a breaker bar. Besides taking it off is the same if yo are on the side stand or rear stand. (you are lifting the bike up) I would say to use the side stand when putting the wheel nut back on (counter clockwise). - You could bend the factory rear stand.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If you can take the bike to your local tire shop bring your tool (for the wheel nut with You) let them us the impact wrench. I only use air impact wrench for removal and tightening . Requires air compresor obviously. If you have one in your garage , get yourself the impact wrench at any auto parts store or home depot or Lows.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i took mine to local bike shop, the bike lifted of the ground, i had to lean on the back,+one guy on the front, + one guy on the torque wrench, he went very red, and he was a big bloke. so that's three people, or two plus a bird.:shitfan:

·
Registered
779 Posts
If you can take the bike to your local tire shop bring your tool (for the wheel nut with You) let them us the impact wrench. I only use air impact wrench for removal and tightening . Requires air compresor obviously. If you have one in your garage , get yourself the impact wrench at any auto parts store or home depot or Lows.

You could use an impact wrench, but the rear wheel nut is made of aluminium alloy impacting with a will surely marr it up. Also the socket that most of us uses are not rated for impact. (unless you are a diesel mechanic)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Sorry but you are wrong - I been using my alluminum wheel nut socket with impact wrench for 7 years now and I have not dammaged the wheel nut or socket or wheel itself yet . And I dont need anyone's assistance , simply put the bike on the work stand and do it !!!

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Guys, it is one man job. Put the bike on a rear stand. Put it in gear. Step on the rear brake. Slide a long piece of pipe, 4 feet or so, over the breaker bar and Pull.

The nut will come off.

CAG

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Wheel nuts can be funny things - my job Volvo T5 needed a new tyre a couple of years back, the tyre shop tried air tools etc but couldn't shift the nuts. They smashed 2 wrenches and the manager told me to take it back to the in-house workshops (who do servicing etc but not tyres).
The mechanics tried levers 10' long but no joy, then the apprentice (140lb) who had replaced the wheels after a brakes job, just grabbed a standard wrench, grunted, and turned it. The old hands nearly fell over. Priceless.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Eat three shredded wheat for breakfast then try again:naughty:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Guys, it is one man job. Put the bike on a rear stand. Put it in gear. Step on the rear brake. Slide a long piece of pipe, 4 feet or so, over the breaker bar and Pull.

The nut will come off.

CAG
Ditto..I do exactly the same as CAG....except,

If it's really tight and the rear wheels spins even in gear, I use a piece of wood wrapped in a rag, placed though the spokes of the wheel and let it rest under the swingarm...this stops the rear wheel spinning while i undo the nut with the breaker bar.

I do this instead of using the rear brake....

·
Registered
415 Posts
Was kind of hoping that the thread was about not touching the ground with the front wheel..
but I have had this problem as well and I needed a TRUCK airpressure tool to open my rear wheel nut. The machine almost almost threw the bike over before finally opening the nut.
Undamaged, surprisingly enough.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I also tried the breaker bar with extension pipe but the wheel nut tool is shalow , it slipped out on me and I ended up scratching the wheel hence the impact wrench. I set mine on number 4 (the strongest) and it only takes 5-10 seconds to loosen or tighten the wheel !!! you dont need the truck air pressure tool !!! Just simple garage compressor (Home Depot $ 150.00 USD) 80-120 psi max. 1/2 impact air wrench (adjustable) and your wheel nut wrench !!! Also perfect for a track days when you need to change wheels quick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
used a 2ft bar plus a 3ft scafold bar for leverage some body on bike in gear and front and rear brake on but the nut would not move only bending bar any other answers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts