MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know we've done the torque thing to death on here but bear with me.
Am I being completely stupid here or does the sprocket side nut on the Dragster/B3 etc also have a very high torque setting. In the manual I have it says 200-220NM.
So today was the first proper ride of the Dragster after getting it back from the dealer and I'd noticed some strange clacking etc from the rear wheel, had a quick nosey out on the ride n all looked ok, retaining clip was in properly etc.
Get home and a proper look in the garage, I take the clip/ring out and find that the nut isn't even finger tight, it is completely loose. It also looks like there's some scoring on the end of the spindle, so I'm thinking the retaining clip was put on around the nut but not properly through one of the retaining holes, therefore allowing the whole thing to slowly slacken itself off. Is my dealer trying to kill me ? they had the wheel off when it was in !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Yes, it's about the same, but just a bit less torque will also do.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
First, if your dealer had the wheel off, they would not need to loosen the nut on the sprocket side. The nut on that side is not touched for wheel removal/tire changes or not even for chain adjustment. Not the dealer's fault.

However, this nut should have been checked during pre-delivery inspection before the bike was sold new. We have seen a few new bikes with this nut not torqued properly from the factory. Probably the ones that were done right before lunch break. :smoking:

That is the dealer's fault for not checking before selling the new bike.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I know they don't need to take that nut off for wheel removal but it was never loose before, I'm pretty sure of it as there are quite new looking scores around the spindle where the retaining clip will have been running round since it wasn't in the hole properly.
I've done over 10,000km on it so I'd be pretty surprised if it was like that from factory and I do tend to check my bike a lot when cleaning.
Anyway, I'm still alive and it's sorted :D

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
Jogort, it is entirely possible the nut loosened due to riding. I know people have recommended lower torques specs for certain things; but, a recent experience for me bolsters what I know about torque specs: They are there for good reason.

Some know I am rebuilding a Ducati Monster S4Rs. I am also fairly particular about all things torqued. On that bike, when I went to remove the rear sprocket carrier, it, too was only finger tight! I was so astonished that I sent a video to a riding friend.

Things loosen up for many reasons over time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah you're probably right, the retainer clip probably just want sticking in properly and allowed the nut to loosen off. Was more of a rant really after just getting it back from the dealer and them having the wheel off.
Just scares ya a little when you've been out on a spirited ride all day and find the nut bloody loose :O

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
My retainer clip was properly seated.

·
Registered
447 Posts
That nut is famous for coming loose. Check it when you clean your chain. I also recommend purchasing the 55mm death socket coffe cup from design corse. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I put witness marks on both those axle nuts and any that are touched for that matter so they can be checked at a glance

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My retainer clip was properly seated.
How can the nut turn if the clip is properly in? as on the dragster anyway it goes through a hole into the spindle granted it doesn't go in very far, so unless it forces itself out of the hole (like I think mine had) then I don't see how the nut would turn.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I also had the same issue, I eventually put it down to dealer tightening the chain and not checking the sprocket nut after.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I put witness marks on both those axle nuts and any that are touched for that matter so they can be checked at a glance
I use Dykem Crosscheck in orange for witnessing fastener movement. A $6 (US) tube will last you forever. It also comes in blue, red, yellow and green so your ride will always be color coordinated :)

·
Vendor
5,335 Posts
I also had the same issue, I eventually put it down to dealer tightening the chain and not checking the sprocket nut after.
No need to loosen sprocket nut for chain adjustment.
Dealer negligence on not checking torque of nut.
Witness paint is a very good idea.

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
It does not take much movement to reduce clamping force.
How it happened, who knows...but it did.
There is a bit of wiggle room in the "retaining" clip.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
It does not take much movement to reduce clamping force.
How it happened, who knows...but it did.
There is a bit of wiggle room in the "retaining" clip.
Hi Chuck, and others.
We really need a General Maintenance area don't you think, there's more and more topics coming up that's very much a 3 cylinder and 4 cylinder common issue.
I've been putting some of them in the "General talk" section, like some of the battery threads but I'm not sure if that's the right spot ?

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
How about "Maintenance that applies to all", er, that would be General Maintenance, wouldn't it....:ahhh:

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Hi Chuck, and others.
We really need a General Maintenance area don't you think, there's more and more topics coming up that's very much a 3 cylinder and 4 cylinder common issue.
I've been putting some of them in the "General talk" section, like some of the battery threads but I'm not sure if that's the right spot ?
That is actually a good idea. There is stuff that applies to all models.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
I'll see what I can come up with, I'll run it by Admin and make something up when I have a moment. I'm still working on the tech tips for the new model bikes section too.
I'll start a new thread about it so everybody can have a say before I create it, and then start moving things into it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts