MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I got one off ebay from a German guy who advertises regularly. It's excellent quality, fits perfectly without damaging the nut and cost me about £25. :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Go to your local hardware store.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I ve only used it to tighten my wheel as it was loose when I bought the bike.

I havent removed the wheel yet but do I need two sockets (one on each end) to remove the wheel? just wondering if I need to buy another....

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
darthmvader said:
I ve only used it to tighten my wheel as it was loose when I bought the bike.

I havent removed the wheel yet but do I need two sockets (one on each end) to remove the wheel? just wondering if I need to buy another....
No, just one socket to remove the wheel.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Make sure you stick to the torque figure quoted, 230 Nm I think,it says what it is in the wheel hub. The bearings are rather fragile, especially on early models, don't be tempted to give it a little bit more for luck. Use an accurate torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If cost is no problem, the MV original part is just top notch, comes in leather bag and is a perfect fit A$135! Also fits under seat.... I think the german one discussed in this thread also fits under seat.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hey Guys,

don't forget that 55 mm sprocket is absolutely not enough. You HAVE to respect the torque !

So you need a torque control key to replace your rear wheel and respect the 210-240 Nm torque.

And this key cost much more than the sprocket (± 150 EUR)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
The problem with a 55mm socket from the hardware store is they don't fit exactly on your wheel nut, it will work but if you are not very careful, you can damage the nut ($$$££££$$$ to replace). I learnt this from bitter experience. It really is better to get a proper fitting item. When all said and done you have spent a lot of money on the Rolls Royce of motorcycles, why skimp on a piffling socket for Christ's sake!! :nerd:

·
Registered
774 Posts
I agree, John !

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
john said:
Make sure you stick to the torque figure quoted, 230 Nm I think,it says what it is in the wheel hub. The bearings are rather fragile, especially on early models, don't be tempted to give it a little bit more for luck. Use an accurate torque wrench.
That's over 160 foot pounds. Tempted to go over that? :)

The torque on the swingarm ecentric is what is sensitive and can damage the bearings.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I said don't be tempted to go over that. :)

·
Site Sponsor
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
john said:
The problem with a 55mm socket from the hardware store is they don't fit exactly on your wheel nut, it will work but if you are not very careful, you can damage the nut ($$$££££$$$ to replace). I learnt this from bitter experience. It really is better to get a proper fitting item. When all said and done you have spent a lot of money on the Rolls Royce of motorcycles, why skimp on a piffling socket for Christ's sake!! :nerd:
I thought the MV didn't have the typical nut and was wondering how a standard socket would work without stripping the nut. My bike is at my garage so I couldn't check.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I don't wish to ram my point of view down your throat Desmo. I have an ordinary 55mm socket that I could use if I lost the tailor made item, you have to be very careful and make sure the socket is exactly located and you don't have the wrench off square. But if it does slip off, you can mark or damage the wheel nut, which as we all know are highly visible parts on an F4 or Brutale. I just think it's money well spent buying a proper socket made for the job, sorry to go on and on about it. :blah:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts