MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back on the old tyres theme again. The 750 F4 has the option of having a 180 or 190 rear hoop. As far as I know, the 1000 has just the 190 section rear. Anyone tried a 180 on the thou? :)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
well, not to confuse the issue too much
the stock tires for the 1000 is a 190/50
while the 750 got a 180/55

how about a 190/55? several tire manufacturers offer it. best of both worlds? one issue with the 190/55 is that it is VERY tall. so you may need to make some geometry adjustments if you want the bike to feel the same.

i'm really thinking of using a bridgestone bt-002r (medium) in a 190/55 for a track day...

alex

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Only the SPR and Senna got a 180 that I know of. All normal 750's were also delivered with 190's. Just an FYI aside.

Given my exposure to riding a Tamburini and a normal 1000 several times I'd say it could benefit from a 180 to match my particular style and preference. Very stable but I prefer reaching where I want to be on the tire sooner.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JamesC said:
Only the SPR and Senna got a 180 that I know of. All normal 750's were also delivered with 190's. Just an FYI aside.

Given my exposure to riding a Tamburini and a normal 1000 several times I'd say it could benefit from a 180 to match my particular style and preference. Very stable but I prefer reaching where I want to be on the tire sooner.

Don't know whether it's a UK only thing James, but my Evo III definitely had a 180 rear, not a 190. Can't remember what the aspect ratio was, 55 I think. Can any of the other UK members with a 750 F4 help? I'll ask Sandy if he doesn't see this first. Update; yes it was definitely 180/55

·
2,156 Posts
Gents,
I have fitted the following to my 1000: Front Supercorsa SC1 (soft) standard size; rear Supercorsa 190/55 SC2 (med) and yes, it does raise the rear slightly but not an issue for me as love the extra weight over the front, the result, (track) absolutely awesome!! :eek: The rear was developed for World super stock, the extra contact patch does make a difference particulary with drive / grip off the turns highly recommend !!
cheers
:eek:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good JSM, I'm a fan of the Michelin Pilot Powers myself. Does the 55 ratio rear really make that much difference compared to a 50?

·
Registered
225 Posts
john said:
Sounds good JSM, I'm a fan of the Michelin Pilot Powers myself. Does the 55 ratio rear really make that much difference compared to a 50?
Yes the 190 / 55 profile does make a huge difference as you can lean it over much further. You can only buy the 190 / 55 in track tyres such as supecorsa etc. Road tyres are 190 / 50. The supercorsas are awesome on the track and warm sticky southern french roads though I wouldn't want to push them on British roads except maybe on the very hottest summer days

On my 03 R1 I ran supercorsa sc2 front and rear with a 190 / 55 rear in the summer and a 180 / 55 pilot power in the winter.
Once I get my F41000 in a month or so I'll stick on the same supercorsa's again for the summer

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I understand that in the dutch superbikes MV is using 190/55 tyres.

·
2,156 Posts
John,
yes I do believe there is a difference ( had a 50 on previously) R, do not know what you mean re British roads? I have used the set up on the road (cold weather) and its awesome or are you referring to wet roads?????

Attachments

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking of track days really, hopefully dry one's. I must admit the Dunlop 208RR's I have as OE on my F4 are much better than the 207's my Evo III came with, but when they are worn out I will still go for Pilot Powers. I would like to get a spare set of wheels so I can have a couple of different tyre choices available for varying conditions. I'd certainly like to try a 55 aspect.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If I remember correctly my F4 Ago came with a 180 rear. I remember because online it said that it was suppose to come equiped with a 190.

·
Registered
878 Posts
John: Talking to our local Michelin rep who tests race tires and bikes, he said they will not put 190's on the race bikes (this is in regards to Michelin Pilot Powers 190x50). They will only use 180x55. He also indicated that they use Pilot Powers as their rain tires for their novice racers. Their test showed that the lean angle "in the rain" is 43 degrees with Pilot Powers. He also said Powers don't have any release compond, so they track them new right out of the box after a couple of warm up laps... no need for the gradual wearing of the sides.

He was recommending that I'd use Pilot Race though. The Medium Pilot race has a harder compond in the center for street/road riding, and a very soft and sticky sides for the extreme angles.

Both AGO and SPR come with 180's that are track ready bikes, but not the standard F4's (they come with 190's)...Michelin 180's tip into the corner faster and give you more of a contact patch on their sides, due to a more triangular shape as opposed to the round/circular 190 shape.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rockethouse said:
kamran, can you ask this rep what he thinks about the 190/55 next time you see him?
Will do Simon. But Michelin doesn't do 190x55. I have also asked him about the Dun Qual's, and his response was "I'm anxious to get my hands on them for testing". They do a pretty thorough testing... :conveyer:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Check out the latest Michelin, Pilot Power 2CT

• Now with a 20% softer compound on the tread shoulders*
  • Dual-compound MotoGP racing technology for the road
    51.2º lean angle in the dry and 43º in the wet: a new benchmark for a hypersport tire**
  • The responsive handling of a race tire
  • Progressive feel and feedback at full lean
This tire comes in 190/55.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I just noticed that the new Senna is coming out with a 190/55, it looks like a Pirelli Dragon.

kamranmarashi said:
Will do Simon. But Michelin doesn't do 190x55. I have also asked him about the Dun Qual's, and his response was "I'm anxious to get my hands on them for testing". They do a pretty thorough testing...
Cheers kamran,

I just checked the Michelin website and it has the 190/55 listed as coming soon. :smoking:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rockethouse said:
I just noticed that the new Senna is coming out with a 190/55, it looks like a Pirelli Dragon.

Cheers kamran,

I just checked the Michelin website and it has the 190/55 listed as coming soon. :smoking:
Yes, I noticed that too Simon (only for the upcoming 2CT though). They rate the Power 2CT's better than the Pilot Powers (for track). I guess that's due to the 20% softer side walls. Not sure what soon means???
I think actually the Power Race Medium is the way to go for hard sport and track riding combined, as the Michelin rep was suggesting (although it doesn't come in 190x55).
I'll be at the track this Sunday and will ask him what he thinks of the 190x55's for the track/racing use.
... darn, I just put new sets of Pilot Powers on both my Duc and the MV last summer. (180 on the Duc and 190 on the MV...kind of went against everyone's advice on the 190...must be the "Hardley" wannabe disease:eek: ???)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Kamran, let us know if your source yields any good info. If more info is needed let me know since I have a good friend at Giomoto/Arrow. He runs the Michelin West Coast distribution for Freddie Spencer.

When I used to run Michelin, I usually get from the latest production batch, fresh off the mold. :king: I might even get my hand on some tires before any dealer would.

·
2,156 Posts
Gents,
the proof is in the pudding as they say :eek: :eek:
I have run the Pirelli Super corsas on the 1000 and in particular, the 190 / 55 rear on the following tracks :
Road Broadford, tight and technical almost like a mini Laguna Seca :eek:
and the fast and flowing Phillip Island, the verdict: amazing levels of grip plus wear, excellent turn in ( gradual and predictable ) but most important and this relates to front and rear, the feeling of stability and feedback is superb :eek: I should also say they are sensational on the road also : Great ocean Road :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Say No More :eek: :eek:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts