MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MV gurus, I would like a little feedback on a suspension problem that I am having on the '05 F4 1000S.

When I hit bumpy roads, the rear of the bike practically shoots me off of it on the rebound. It seems to me that the compression is okay but the coming back up is way too fast. Also, the bike loses traction on the bumpy bits. I've never messed with Sachs but I am guessing that I give the rebound adjustment screw (which I can't access) a few clicks in the clockwsie direction but I am not sure if there's something else I should be messing with.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I weigh about 160 lbs.

·
Registered
571 Posts
sherpa23 said:
...................I give the rebound adjustment screw (which I can't access) a few clicks in the clockwsie direction .....................
Makes even faster. Screw ANTI-clockwise, for slower reactions.
In any case, I would start from the beginning: setting first the sag and than the rest (for both wheels). :penguin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had the same problem, played with the rebound, compression and preload, finally for me the best result was to lower the preload with one click at the back suspension, left the front standart.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
sherpa23 said:
MV gurus, I would like a little feedback on a suspension problem that I am having on the '05 F4 1000S.

When I hit bumpy roads, the rear of the bike practically shoots me off of it on the rebound. It seems to me that the compression is okay but the coming back up is way too fast. Also, the bike loses traction on the bumpy bits. I've never messed with Sachs but I am guessing that I give the rebound adjustment screw (which I can't access) a few clicks in the clockwsie direction but I am not sure if there's something else I should be messing with.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I weigh about 160 lbs.
If you are sure its on the rebound stroke and not the compression stroke you need to increase the rebound damping to slow the return motion down, turn the screw clockwise for this.

My own take on this was it was the compression side that was firing me out of the seat, unfortunately the high speed compression adjustment is set to minimum from the factory on the 1000S, adjusting the slow speed may help but a bump should really be adjusted out with high speed compression.

I gave up eventually and had both the forks revalved and a new shock made for the rear, if you do go this route my feeling is it is better to go to a suspension 'expert' than just buy a replacement Ohlins etc which will probably be set as hard as what you already have, don't forget the main damping control is always performed by the shim stacks on the damper rod, if these are set too stiff/hard no amount of 'clicking' will get the desired results :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts