MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was cleaning my chain and decided to remove the read sprocket to make sure I was cleaning the chain well.

I put everything back in place but when I started tightening the rear sprocket bolts, at 45 Nm as per the workshop manual, I never managed to reach 45 Nm and the pin basically snapped. I looked over and over the torque that I should have applied and it says indeed "45:50" (I understand this means between 45 and 50 Nm right?). I tried on another bolt but with another torque wrench that was clicking fine at 45 Nm on other bolts placed elsewhere on the bike. Despite this, exactly the same thing happened with the pin snapping again.

Would you have any idea what happened? Is 45 Nm the correct torque to use?

What is surprising is that it is the second time I do this sprocket removal thing and last time it was fine I remember.

Also, since getting parts from MV is often a pain, so you think these pin are standard and can be found at Honda or Yamaha? I am talking about reference 80A0A3248.

Thanks for your help guys.

Guillaume.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Hi guys,

I was cleaning my chain and decided to remove the read sprocket to make sure I was cleaning the chain well.

I put everything back in place but when I started tightening the rear sprocket bolts, at 45 Nm as per the workshop manual, I never managed to reach 45 Nm and the pin basically snapped. I looked over and over the torque that I should have applied and it says indeed "45:50" (I understand this means between 45 and 50 Nm right?). I tried on another bolt but with another torque wrench that was clicking fine at 45 Nm on other bolts placed elsewhere on the bike. Despite this, exactly the same thing happened with the pin snapping again.

Would you have any idea what happened? Is 45 Nm the correct torque to use?

What is surprising is that it is the second time I do this sprocket removal thing and last time it was fine I remember.

Also, since getting parts from MV is often a pain, so you think these pin are standard and can be found at Honda or Yamaha? I am talking about reference 80A0A3248.

Thanks for your help guys.

Guillaume.

Very interesting Guillaume,

On earlier models 312 the manual torque figure was 25Nm with grease.
Your model is 45-50 as you suggest and that figure is without grease ie dry.

Now if you grease and apply 45Nm then you will stretch the bolt more than if it were dry.

Its quite a jump from 25 to 45 - 50 Nm though.:jsm: I'm sure they have their reasons ?

If you need a set of pins let me know I have a spare sprocket carrier here.

but comm on [email protected] to help me

Joe:smoking:

·
Super Moderator
22,321 Posts
If your bike is a 2010 or newer F4, the torque value for the rear sprocket bolts is 25nm

·
Super Moderator
22,321 Posts
Joe, where did you get that figure?

2010 F4 Torque Values.jpg

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Hi Chuck..
The 45 to 50 nm figure is from the MY 10 manual.

Im gonna recheck

Rechecked..

From MV Manuals :-

F41000R, 312R, F4 1078, 312RR ... figure is 25 Nm with specified grease

F4 1000R ( 2010 ) 45 - 50 Nm without grease

joe

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to both, the value of 25Nm sounds more reasonable to me despite the workshop manual specifying 45-50Nm.

I think I basically messed up all of them by trying to torque them at more than 25Nm so will buy a full set of pins and bolts.

That being said, would you know if very standard motorbike makers like Honda, Yamaha etc (i.e. brands for which it is easy to get spares) have models of bikes with the same nuts and bolts as the F4 2010?

Guillaume

·
Super Moderator
22,321 Posts
Guilaume, those sprocket bolts can be bought from other vendors...even in exotic materials like titanium.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Guilaume, those sprocket bolts can be bought from other vendors...even in exotic materials like titanium.

I'd buy new ideally...

I'd have thought the part could be shared with Ducati or Aprila..Not so sure about Japanese but maybe ?

Did you use grease and 45 Nm Guillaume ?

Joe

·
Super Moderator
22,321 Posts
What I can't believe is the manual says one thing in the body, and another, very different thing, in the specs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Noticed that in the workshop manual, the table on Page 325 says 45-50 Nm but on page 337 it says 25 Nm... Arghhhhh :-(

Will probably take that opportunity to change my chain as it seems quite at the end of its life.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Noticed that in the workshop manual, the table on Page 325 says 45-50 Nm but on page 337 it says 25 Nm... Arghhhhh :-(

Will probably take that opportunity to change my chain as it seems quite at the end of its life.

What a pain !

If you get stuck with your bolts give me an email.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts

That's terrible from MV, but not the 1st time they do this. As Joe said, these bolts are available all over the place. And why would your chain be worn, your bikes had hardly enough power to wear out wet toilet paper :)

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

found the problem.....

the cush drive rubbers bolts are 45-50 Nm no grease 12 point nuts

the sprocket bolts are 25 Nm WITH grease on the 1st threadS (WTF?????)

Section N Service Manual

:drummer::drummer:

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

I don't know where you shop for sprocket bolts.......

but dollars to donuts..... it's an MV part (maybe Ducat too)

page C01 of the Parts Manual item #38.......

latest part number I have 80A0A3248 last price check $9.07 EACH

8mm thread, 10mm shank, flat 3.2mm thick T shaped head..... that fits in slots in the sprocket carrier

not from the local bolt shop

:naughty::naughty:

·
Super Moderator
22,321 Posts
I would think you could get them from AEM Machine....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts