MV Agusta Forum banner

Rear shocks

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mikef4uk 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has opinion on which shock is better, the stock shock from the 2003 EVO3 bike (Saches Competition) or the Stock shock from the 2005 MV 1000. Seems like the 2003 bike has easily accessible shock adjustment (big black knobs) versus the required use of screw drivers on the 2005 bike. Also the 2005 shock has an easier means of adjustmenting preload via a hex wrench versus a spanner wrench of the 2003 bike. Of course I accidentally broke it (anyone know how this thing works?) So which shock is better? I purely want to evaluate the shock and NOT which bike is better with it.

#3 ·
I had a 2005 Evo III 750 which was probably manufactured in 2004 and now have a 1000, presumably manufactured in 2005, I think the 1000 shock is better, :) but it's only marginal and is purely my own impression. :grin:

#4 · (Edited)
JamesC said:
IIRC the 1000 shock is slightly longer giving a taller rear height in addition to the easier preload as you mentioned.

The largest difference is that the 1000 shock is 3 way with high and low speed compression. 750's are all two way.
They do however tell you to leave the high speed set to zero...The best option IMHO is to to do what I did with the std shock, put it on a shelf in the garage!! and fit something like this, Its one of the best things I ever did, This unit is a Maxton unit, it was built for my weight, my bike, and the type of riding I do, when I picked it up (I also had it fitted to my 750) he said "try the settings before you start clicking it", In the 10,000 combined miles that I have had the unit fitted I have not clicked anything at all, its far far better than my ability, I used to find with the Sachs on the 750 and the 1000 I was always clicking and fiddling about.

My mate also has a F4 1000, before I fitted this unit to mine our rear tyres looked similar on the tyre pattern, both being too grainy, since fitting this to my 1000 the rear tyre has cleaned up quite a lot, don't forget, the only thing a heavily grained or chunked rear tyre shows is the settings are miles out............

Attachments

#6 ·
andyman said:
How much did you pay for this and where? And how much do you want for your original shock?
www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk I think the shock was around £400 and the forks just a shade over £200 Thanks Andy for the offer to buy the Sachs shock, but I tend to keep stuff to re-fit to the bike if I ever come to sell it, there a funny lot in the UK on the whole, for a bike to sell easy it needs to be standard, yet theer's a real good aftermarket for bike stuff, odd

#8 ·
JamesC said:
Haha you made me look as I set a friends at 3 to start. They say 0-6 for HS comp.
For road use on our bumpy stuff, it could really do with setting to about minus 10, which unfortunately isn't possible, My Maxton is a 3 way, although the high speed is not the easiest of adjustments, it involves removing the shock from the bike, I do believe however that his latest shock has got around this feature, mind you saying that I have never needed or found any reason to alter it from what they recommended anyway

Its good to watch someone like him, he can just bounce the bike up and down stationary and tell you whats up with it, and probably set the thing up better than 90% of us could do by fiddling!

I put someone's "track settings" which he also reckoned OK for road use onto my 1000 before I changed to Maxton, it was that good the front was chattering around roudabouts at about 75% of my normal speed, maybe it would be OK at the track with more heat etc but for normal use it was crap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.