MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking at the rear shock today for no good reason and noticed this screw thread adjustment setting thingy and thought it looked weird.

Now I've always wanted to be able to drop the ass down an inch or so, would that be where one would do it??

·
Registered
938 Posts
Mine doesn't look exactly like that but yes. Pull the rubber boot/splash guard up and you should see a lock nut.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
No you won't John, on the ride height adjust, pre2010 model, it works different to your bike, this one looks to be fully wound in already. The only thing you can do to lower the rear now Kel, is to unwind the preload adjuster. This will drop the rear, so you will have to do the same at the front remember that this will affect the way your bike handles.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No you won't John, on the ride height adjust, pre2010 model, it works different to your bike, this one looks to be fully wound in already. The only thing you can do to lower the rear now Kel, is to unwind the preload adjuster. This will drop the rear, so you will have to do the same at the front remember that this will affect the way your bike handles.
I was speaking about the shock with the yellow spring. Does it look right being all the way screwed in???

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is set to hard and bloody hard, Kel get a mate and go and set your sag buddy
Just found the full "how to" in the manual. Definitely not a do it yourself job, especially with all the special tools needed. Would it be worthwhile just backing the thing off half way??

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I wound a bit off using my old Harley shock tool. Feels better. Thanks eddypro for the comment (looks bloody hard) that helped!

·
Registered
2005 F4 AGO 2017 TVL RC
6,646 Posts
I was looking at the rear shock today for no good reason and noticed this screw thread adjustment setting thingy and thought it looked weird.

Now I've always wanted to be able to drop the ass down an inch or so, would that be where one would do it??
You have the spring compressed to it's harshest position. If you loosen the 2 lock rings and unscrew them if will soften the ride. Also, if you look at the linkage rod that has the rubber boot at the bottom on the swing arm it is also adjustable. By turning it you can adjust the ride height of the rear a small amount. You will have to loosen the 2 allen screws you see in the picture

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Adjusting pre-load on a spring, does not make it harder or softer guy. You are just pre-loading it, and reducing it's effective stroke, the springs "hardness" is a constant. Adjusting compression and rebound settings is what makes your rude feel harder or softer. Swapping springs for a lower rate spring will make your ride softer.

·
Registered
2005 F4 AGO 2017 TVL RC
6,646 Posts
Adjusting pre-load on a spring, does not make it harder or softer guy. You are just pre-loading it, and reducing it's effective stroke, the springs "hardness" is a constant. Adjusting compression and rebound settings is what makes your rude feel harder or softer. Swapping springs for a lower rate spring will make your ride softer.
I stand corrected :)

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
KEl, there is a ride-height tool that will help you sort that out. Someone obviously dropped the rear of that bike as far as possible and then wound in all of the pre-load available. Perhaps the Original Owner was a short fat man.

Because the rear is lowered, the front should have been lowered an equal amount or the steering will be very slow and sluggish.

IF you raised the rear, you should have to compensate with the front...or your steering will be very sharp and possibly unstable.

Were I you, I would borrow a ride height tool from someone who has one, or buy one and set the bike geometry to stock and then adjust to your taste. That should transform your experience.

It isn't that hard to do.

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
Makes me wonder about the chain adjustment and hub......

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KEl, there is a ride-height tool that will help you sort that out. Someone obviously dropped the rear of that bike as far as possible and then wound in all of the pre-load available. Perhaps the Original Owner was a short fat man.

Because the rear is lowered, the front should have been lowered an equal amount or the steering will be very slow and sluggish.

IF you raised the rear, you should have to compensate with the front...or your steering will be very sharp and possibly unstable.

Were I you, I would borrow a ride height tool from someone who has one, or buy one and set the bike geometry to stock and then adjust to your taste. That should transform your experience.

It isn't that hard to do.
Nothing in the manual about height adjustment for the front (or am I in the wrong sections?)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Makes me wonder about the chain adjustment and hub......
Its got a Mitchy hub, and yes I probably need to do the chain, but reading all the horror stories about hub torque I may leave it for when I get it shop serviced.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wasn't someone making up those ride height tools recently??

1 - 20 of 42 Posts