MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Iknow the ttx36 is the rolls royce of shocks,but could anyone suggest a much better rear shock than the standard one,and at a cheaper price,Your suggestions would be appreciated,basically for road use and hard cornering and especially for our crappy aussie roads.
cheers eddy

·
Registered
277 Posts
Get the standard shock revalved & sprung mate, dunno who your local suspension guys are up there. Don't know what the 1078 shocks are like but I found some good settings on my 1090, I can push hard & she handles great. Maybe all you need is a good setup session.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I've often wondered if Sachs is the shock to have in formula one, why are they held in such low esteem here? Surely some of what they know has trickled down. What about Penske? Why does no one in the Italian bike community use them? they seem to be popular on Race bikes.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Get the standard shock revalved & sprung mate, dunno who your local suspension guys are up there. Don't know what the 1078 shocks are like but I found some good settings on my 1090, I can push hard & she handles great. Maybe all you need is a good setup session.
Have you had your shock done ? And who did it for you ?

I've often wondered if Sachs is the shock to have in formula one, why are they held in such low esteem here? Surely some of what they know has trickled down. What about Penske? Why does no one in the Italian bike community use them? they seem to be popular on Race bikes.
I would love to know too Carl, Penske said they would do a shock for me at US$1900 but there is no service agent to have it looked after : ( . I Thinks Sachs supply MV at minimum required standards, and they are better than most others, but nobody want's to service them, at least over here that's the case.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep my mate has a 1090 much better suspesion than the 1078,I know I have taken his bike for a bash,its like chalk and cheese,the difference is huge.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 2 cents on Penske is two thumbs up! My 2004 TUONO came with re valved forks, and a very fine Penske shock to replace the standard Sachs. Prior owner lived near enough to a great suspension resource in the Pacific N.W., and was able to justify the costs

Me, I'm just happy to be on the receiving end of his largesse. Bike is set up for my weight, and it rides like a you know what, dream.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I've met a fellow at the track named Peter Kates. He races and owns GMD computrack. I think it's a franchise. He would like to learn about the Sachs shocks and wants to see if a Penske can be built. I'm bringing him a box o' shocks next week to measure.

It looks to me like there are 8 different part numbers for the shachs shocks. Or perhaps 8 different spring numbers. This does not include the Shock on the Tamburini and the Senna. I'm going to bring him one of each to examine. We should get some very good information from him regarding the differences between the different units.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I picked up a wilbers 46mm rear shock from alwin on the forum. It is in another world compared to the factory setting, but I still have much more setup to do on it. I've actually been riding a lot less since installing it because I've found it hard to keep the speeds reasonable as a result.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
+10

I've met a fellow at the track named Peter Kates. He races and owns GMD computrack. I think it's a franchise. He would like to learn about the Sachs shocks and wants to see if a Penske can be built. I'm bringing him a box o' shocks next week to measure.

It looks to me like there are 8 different part numbers for the shachs shocks. Or perhaps 8 different spring numbers. This does not include the Shock on the Tamburini and the Senna. I'm going to bring him one of each to examine. We should get some very good information from him regarding the differences between the different units.
Thanks Carl, would be great to see the outcome. So many guys re-commending stuff on here but have no idea what they are on about. At least with you we know it is someone who actually rides his bikes the way it should be done. Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My 1090's standard Donsy, quite happy with it so far on the road. Yet to take it to the track, but the suspension feels good after minor adjustments.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
anyone here used the nitron shock from design corse,any big gains,

I was thinking about Nitron, actually. I don't have one, but have looked at them a bit (for a different bike). I've known people who have had them, mostly for racing and were very happy with it.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks tl,still looking at the ttx36.big money, but what the hell,do it once do it right, I think.
cheers eddy

·
Registered
867 Posts
hey eddy,
i have a 910R with an Ohlins 46 PRXB ( CA806) the shock may well come available in the next couple of weeks as i have potentially sold the bike, minus the shock and few other goodies ( Brembo monobloks, Matris M4R steering damper) to the next person. I'm looking for $750 + postage has been set up for an 80kg rider by Zenodamper much improved over standard.

Send me a PM if your interested.

James

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ohlins spring

I kept the stock shock & just changed to an Ohlins spring, which made the rear end much softer. Much more affordable than changing the whole shock. This along with removing some of the compression stack in the forks has made the bike more comfortable & easier to ride. The factory setup is way too stiff.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I kept the stock shock & just changed to an Ohlins spring, which made the rear end much softer. Much more affordable than changing the whole shock. This along with removing some of the compression stack in the forks has made the bike more comfortable & easier to ride. The factory setup is way too stiff.
good idea,never thought of doing that,thanks , any particular type and weight or do you just order for your weight,any links would be great,

cheers eddy:popcorn:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
"I'm bringing him a box o' shocks"

Reminds me of the last time I tried to reset the breakers in my house.. ;/

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, guys on the info,have just ordered a nitron race rear shock,I was going for the ohlins ttx36 but it is 3 times the price,If no good I will put it on my wheelbarrow,:guitarist
cheers eddy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts