MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.

I haven't been able to find anything like this yet, so I'll ask here:
Is there any decent rear sets out there that also acts as a new mounting location for the rear brake master cylinder on the F3's? The stock location we all know is pretty horrible. After a short 20 minute ride yesterday, I couldn't even hold the rear brake "lever" in my bare hand because of how hot is is. I can only imagine how much hotter the master cylinder is, being even closer to the engine.
I can't see why mounting the master cylinder behind the rear sets would complicate anything other than shorter hoses probably. This is pretty normal for many other bikes.

I did find something on Ebay, but it doesnt detail a full rear set kit anywhere:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MV-Agusta-F3-800-675-Rearset-plate-brake-master-cylinder-mount-bracket-MV175-/323779062624
(MV Part number B5696)

Thoughts or tips?

I've read the thread here regarding installing a heat shield mod for the rear-brake. It probably helps a little, but is only a slight work-around as I see it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I took a look at the more race-specced F3's like the F3XX and WSBK F3 now. It seems to have the master cylinder mounted on the rear set. Does anyone know who manufactures these rearsets, or is it just the aforementioned part used?

·
Administrator
18,847 Posts
Those look really nice....kinda pricey, but then most good stuff is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Indeed. I sent them an email asking if they really are what they seem to be from the pictures (or if it's just for another bike model).
I guess for rear brake reservoir one could use the HRC method, which apparently is used on the WSBK and F3XX bikes as well, if you look closely to the left of this picture:

EDIT: The picture also reveals the F3XX to also use Valter Moto Rearsets, but it doesn't seem very similiar to the one I linked. It might be easier to contact MV Agusta Reparto Corse to see if one can get hold of the same rearset parts they are using.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Reply from Valtermoto:

the rear brake master cylinder is located in the original position.
The same rearsets for team the rear brake master cylinder has a different position.
So it seems they have two types. One for race teams and one for "stockies". I've requested pictures of both sets for comparison.

Thinking a bit more on the case, it might a bit hassle to move the master cylinder.
1 - The brake light cable/switch needs to be long enough for the move (It probably is?)
2 - New brake fluid reservoir mount location is necessary, unless using the "HRC tube method". I am not sure if the latter is very suited for road-use.

I'll see if I can be bothered to experiment on this.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Reply from Valtermoto:

So it seems they have two types. One for race teams and one for "stockies". I've requested pictures of both sets for comparison.

Thinking a bit more on the case, it might a bit hassle to move the master cylinder.
1 - The brake light cable/switch needs to be long enough for the move (It probably is?)
2 - New brake fluid reservoir mount location is necessary, unless using the "HRC tube method". I am not sure if the latter is very suited for road-use.

I'll see if I can be bothered to experiment on this.

Having been through a rear MC on my F4 and having to constantly bleed. I have also looked at this. In the end I used 5.1 fluid and additional heatshield which seems to be working.

As for the HRC reservoir being ok for road use, I had that set up on a road bike for over 10 years without any issues.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice. Thanks for the input, Hawk. I might be trying out Dot 5.1 and heatshield first then before blowing away a lot of money on those extra fancy rearsets.
Also good to know that the HRC tube is a viable option if I were to move the MC!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'll second the HRC tube use on a road bike - I also have had one for many years on both my last bikes for road and track use, no issues whatsoever.

I also discovered last week just how pants the rear brake is, so will also over the next few weeks be looking at improving it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great to hear, Highside.

Keep us posted :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I just mailed with my dealer, and they told me that MV has very recently instructed them in the case of poor rear brakes to change to URBF brake fluid, which they will do for me. URBF is just "Ultimate Racing Brake Fluid" by Plutoline. It is still DOT4, but has pretty high (exceeding DOT5.1 level) boiling levels apparently.

Boiling Point (reflux) , °C 328
Wet Boiling Point, °C 204

https://www.putoline.com/en/catalogue/product/581/ultimate-racing-brake-fluid/2011/

I'll deliver my bike next monday and keep you posted how it goes with new fluids.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update since last time:
I've not ridden a whole lot in august, but there have been a trackday and enough riding to get the bike sizzling hot. No noticable loss of rear braking effect yet after the fluid was changed to the Plutoline racing fluid :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update since last time:
I've not ridden a whole lot in august, but there have been a trackday and enough riding to get the bike sizzling hot. No noticable loss of rear braking effect yet after the fluid was changed to the Plutoline racing fluid :)

Update a bit later:
I checked the rear brake some days ago, and it's almost completely gone again so I guess no bueno on that fluid swap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Indeed. I sent them an email asking if they really are what they seem to be from the pictures (or if it's just for another bike model).
I guess for rear brake reservoir one could use the HRC method, which apparently is used on the WSBK and F3XX bikes as well, if you look closely to the left of this picture:

EDIT: The picture also reveals the F3XX to also use Valter Moto Rearsets, but it doesn't seem very similiar to the one I linked. It might be easier to contact MV Agusta Reparto Corse to see if one can get hold of the same rearset parts they are using.

Did you ever hear back or find out if these are available/will work with street version/light swtich?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you ever hear back or find out if these are available/will work with street version/light swtich?

Yep, Valter Moto can ship these by request. Very expensive. I do not know if it will work with the light switch, but from what I can tell following the cable, it should be long enough to be moved to the pegs-position since the cable comes from that direction to begin with. Only way to tell for sure is to try and disconnect and re-route it.

https://valtermotostore.com/mv-agusta/f3/my-2018/rearsets.html

They confirmed in email-communication with me that these are the same as the one used on the F3XX, but apparently they have a version that does not re-mount the master cylinder as well I think?

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yep, Valter Moto can ship these by request. Very expensive. I do not know if it will work with the light switch, but from what I can tell following the cable, it should be long enough to be moved to the pegs-position since the cable comes from that direction to begin with. Only way to tell for sure is to try and disconnect and re-route it.

https://valtermotostore.com/mv-agusta/f3/my-2018/rearsets.html

They confirmed in email-communication with me that these are the same as the one used on the F3XX, but apparently they have a version that does not re-mount the master cylinder as well I think?
Might drop them an email then. Isn't too much more than other rearset options really. Do you know if it works with the master cylinder already on the bike? I don't think cable length will be an issues looking at it. Though I do wonder if master cylinder placement is the only issues with the system?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Might drop them an email then. Isn't too much more than other rearset options really. Do you know if it works with the master cylinder already on the bike? I don't think cable length will be an issues looking at it. Though I do wonder if master cylinder placement is the only issues with the system?

No idea :)
There might be other issues to blame for this, as others have claimed. ABS unit needing to be aired etc.

·
Registered
173 Posts
No idea :)
There might be other issues to blame for this, as others have claimed. ABS unit needing to be aired etc.
Could be, but why are their no issues with the front brakes through the abs system then? The whole rear brake issue has made it a pain to ride recently and stopped me from taking it to track days (where they do tech inspections). Though luckily I do have another bike to ride.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts