MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I get more used to my bike, I'm finding the foot pegs are too far forward for my liking, even when I have them adjusted as far back as possible, I find my legs are seizing up with the footrest position as it is. After a 100 miles or so in the saddle I'm getting cramp in the top of my legs. Bear in mind I'm only 5'7". I would think it would be worse for a taller rider. Has anybody got aftermarket rear sets fitted and if so what are your conclusions. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
We have some good choices.

Gilles, Performanceparts.de, Motowheels(Febur Italy), Sato, Valtermoto and MotoCorse(non adjustable)...

I have Valtermoto Tipo 3.5:

Here is a better view on Hereticus' bike that sold me on them last year:

I chose valtermoto because they are very adjustable and they sponsored the superstock and Ital superbike MV teams last year when GIMOTORSPORTS was running their first season (Ianuzzo). I don't favour the linkage rearsets like Gilles/Sato. Grip is great on the Valtermoto and I've heard the same about Sato and Teuchert's from performanceparts.de.

Performanceparts.de here (peg is on eccentric for adjustment):

With description:
http://www.performanceparts.de/index.htm?http://www.performanceparts.de/xaranshop_k003001s002_1.htm

·
Registered
184 Posts
james, those are really nice, but.... Imagine all your weight coming down on them after a a bump or something if you were out of the seat.. all the pressure is on one point which is connected by an allen bolt through an aluminium part??? hmm- they just seem like they would rotate around that single point.. are they burly enough??

Coleman.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
john said:
As I get more used to my bike, I'm finding the foot pegs are too far forward for my liking, even when I have them adjusted as far back as possible, I find my legs are seizing up with the footrest position as it is. After a 100 miles or so in the saddle I'm getting cramp in the top of my legs. Bear in mind I'm only 5'7". I would think it would be worse for a taller rider. Has anybody got aftermarket rear sets fitted and if so what are your conclusions. :rolleyes:
I'm the same height as you and had the same problem, I knocked up a couple of Ally brackets at work just to see what the max adjustment of the Gilles would be before I purchased them, I also wanted them further back but also further down as well, most rearsets only go further back and up, I made these brackets about 3 years back now for my 750, then transferred them to the 1000, they do make life better!! I may one day make a better pair or buy a pukka set of rearsets, Todd in the States has his eye on these from Acculign, I'm waiting to see how the MV set turn out

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
To be correct, those black rear sets with red centers are NOT an MV Agusta part, they are aftermarket from Germany, mrmotortecknik.

These are the MV Agusta OEM, they are COMPLETELY different in materials and adjustment, and the real sets on the Veltro.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
0700 said:
To be correct, those black rear sets with red centers are NOT an MV Agusta part, they are aftermarket from Germany, mrmotortecknik.

These are the MV Agusta OEM, they are COMPLETELY different in materials and adjustment, and the real sets on the Veltro.
I wasn't going to say anything in your for sale post but since you mention it here, I agree, the DIRECT FROM THE MANUFACTURER are rigid instead of folding which is preferable in my opinion. They are also knurled at the end instead of smooth as yours are, knurled being preferred -also in my opinion. Lacking a Ti bolt and an MV part number does not make them 'COMPLETELY different' :) I guess they also lack the 100% markup...

·
Registered
189 Posts
A few things, we don't actually know MrMotortecknic makes the Veltro rear sets for MV Agusta, based on just the differenet materials, I would bet not.

These sets "look" similar just as some Harris and Sato sets are similar. The MV WSBK sets have different hardware, materials, internal adjustment, and FOLDING design, they are completely different, I'm not saying better.

I don't really like the smooth ends either and was considering firearm style checkering.

As for Rigid Vs. Folding, I've used both on and off the track. I always thought the rigid would do something better than folding. It always seems a crashed/F'd up bike is a crashed F'd up bike.

Somehow I still think Rigid is better, but I've seem people crash getting their boots caught on them.

I was at a Fastrack Fontana track day and made a new friend in the morning sessions, after lunch red flag came out and everyone was pulled. Turns out he was killed from internal injuries when his solid footrest came down on him after a highside.

I don't know everything, but have enough experience to question just how good rigid sets are.

BTW: Regarding the reference to how much MV Agusta charges for their upgrades....Since when is any MV product cheap? bikes, gear, upgrades, NOTHING

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
HI 0700. Agreed on many points. It was relayed early on that the veltro/mv rearsets were made in D, hence my comment :)

In terms of rigid, agreed on crash is crash to some extent but I'd prefer to grind through rearset before other hard parts. Understand the flipping/catching issue also. Tiipover result is better and support for stands as well. Have also heard of injury by rearset, Melandri comes to mind, but can see either way. I strongly prefer rigid and knurled.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
JamesC said:
HI 0700. Agreed on many points. It was relayed early on that the veltro/mv rearsets were made in D, hence my comment :)

In terms of rigid, agreed on crash is crash to some extent but I'd prefer to grind through rearset before other hard parts. Understand the flipping/catching issue also. Tiipover result is better and support for stands as well. Have also heard of injury by rearset, Melandri comes to mind, but can see either way. I strongly prefer rigid and knurled.
even with folding pegs, I doubt 0700's friend who died and Melandri could have come out of those incidents in much better condition... after all it is a flying 400lb motorcycle behind the peg that's responsible for the force that drove the peg into those guys... all I am saying is that it is a potentially dangerous sport after all, there are a lot of other things that could go wrong in those situations.

I also prefer the rigid, checkered pegs, like I have on my Graves' rearset.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would REALLY like the impossible, to here from the engineers involved in the team that requested a design like this, they've been using folding shifter and brake toe pegs for years, for obvious reasons, they fold up and you keep racing....could this be the thinking behind these sets???? I dunno, I've seen plenty people slide it out in the canyons, the satos just fold right up, the Giles and harris seem designed to deform gradually....

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The bolts on the Sato pegs are soft and are meant to bend but hopefully not break.

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
0700 said:
I would REALLY like the impossible, to here from the engineers involved in the team that requested a design like this, they've been using folding shifter and brake toe pegs for years, for obvious reasons, they fold up and you keep racing....could this be the thinking behind these sets???? I dunno, I've seen plenty people slide it out in the canyons, the satos just fold right up, the Giles and harris seem designed to deform gradually....

The factory supported actual MV race bikes are using performanceparts and valtermoto rearsets during races as far as I know. I see where you're coming from on the folding toe pegs but can't say I've seen a race bike with folding foot peg in roadracing (like we have in dirt/supermoto). I believe GI/Unionbike are still using the same Valtermoto Tipo 3.5 as last year - the reason I bought them myself last spring.

I really like the overall design of your veltro sets but in rigid/knurled form. They were a very strong second to the Valtermotos for me but I ultimately emailed Valtermoto and thanked them for supporting 'our' racing efforts and let them know I was getting them for this reason.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts