MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

just noticed that my rear body work which the riders seat etc sits on has cracked on both sides around the front bolt holes( closest to tank). Has anyone else had anything like this? got to take the bike into the dealer on Friday so I can start the process of seeing if I can claim it as a warranty/parts failure issue.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sea the 2010+ model bikes have some probs ay u need a plastic. Welding kit there I think can't see the factory recalling that. Be interesting to see if anymore have gone like that

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
Mto216;
are all the support rubber grommets in place?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All grommets in place and ok, just been to dealer and its a warranty issue( they have seen a couple her in South Australia - might be heat here?) Will take weeks to get replacements from Italy, cant complain as it would cost me $1k US to replace.

So long as there replaced by end of Feb so I can go to Philip island to watch WSBK ( 2000km round trip - who says you cant tour on an MV:))

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
not familiar with the '10 seats but if all the support grommets are in place the latch must be holding it up so it cracks....just a thought

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy,

I got the same thing happen with my f4 y10. I approached dealer about it a couple of years ago - purchased early on in the model cycle. He was initially ok about sorting it out but after consulting with MV Australia said it had to be from an earlier drop (low speed low side on track).
They were resolute in not having anything to do with it even though the cracks were almost identical on both sides of the bike.
Dealer added that I was the first to report this issue and thought it was unique to me and had nothing to do with the product but rather the user :-/
Please update with outcome, cheers

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
What year production is it? Some early '10 F4s had a brace put in to strengthen the sub frame after one or two cracked around the mounting points. Could it be that yours should have had that and it wasn't done and that the subframe is failing and causing the plastic to bend and crack?

Si

·
Registered
3 Posts
What year production is it? Some early '10 F4s had a brace put in to strengthen the sub frame after one or two cracked around the mounting points. Could it be that yours should have had that and it wasn't done and that the subframe is failing and causing the plastic to bend and crack?

Si
Hi Si,

I purchased mine in 2011 and no, mine has not had any remedial work done to the subframe.

With this coming to light, I shall try revisiting this issue with the dealer, thanks.

Skj

·
Registered
404 Posts
My mate had the same issue in the UK, definetly not a heat issue. More like a manufacturing issue.

His was replaced under warranty but took a while to get to the UK.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I spoke to a dealer today who said they all go like that eventually.

I have a theory on why it's happening though and maybe how to prevent it. If you push down on the seat on the sides near the front, you can visibly see the panels flexing. Obviously with full rider weight moving about this flexing will eventually cause the panels to crack in that place, or for the mounting point eye to snap off.

One solution might actually be to not secure the panels to the subframe at the front. Maybe then the panels will move under pressure from the seat rather than flex, causing stress.

Another solution might be to add two or three millimeters of rubber padding to the subframe rails where the rubber pads on the underside of the seat rest on it, because those rubber pads compress over time which will increase the likelihood of cracking. Shimming it in this way migh help to take some of the seat's load off the panels.

It's unfortunate though that this is a problem dealers have been seeing since 2010 and yet they've done nothing to solve it since.

Si

·
Registered
661 Posts
Looks like need double thick walled fairings in this area as its a stressed member stressed by the rider. How much do you weigh if you don't mind?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I spoke to a dealer today who said they all go like that eventually.

That's pretty piss poor if that's the case.
What a heap of shit to say that.
Just not good enough all round by everyone meaning MV, dealer, etc

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
To be honest I thought it refreshing someone at a dealership would say that. Many wouldn't admit to any problem a factory already hadn't. But as to whether it's strictly true, or a generalisation based on observations of many bikes in for service, who knows. They did say MV used to replace them under warranty, but then started refusing.

Si

·
Registered
661 Posts
Its body work, no doubt, and on a bike, the bodywork is almost like a wear item, down to the fairings that generally need to be removed multiple times in its life for servicing. For the look, you wind up contacting the fairings around the seats every time leg is down or when wrenching the bike into a corner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts