MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a real pain in the butt to get the rear seat to lock back on after removal (I used butt and rear in the same short sentence as some of you might have noted).
I am expecting for the pin under the seat to simply lock when I push it back down in place but it takes me 20 attempts before I am successful. I tried with and without the key, gently and slamming it down and it works randomly after way too many attempts. So my question is: is there a trick I am not aware of or is there any kind of adjustment that any of you recommend?

The bike is actually at the shop as I got an early "clutch switch" error message. Updated part is getting installed today I think and I'd like to have them fix this minor annoyance and if I could point them in the right direction that'd be great. I have found over the years that there's a vastly greater collective knowledge and wisdom in this forum than in any distributor or service network.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
521 Posts
you can adjust the lock where the pin goes in a little bit. for me it was helping. It locks quit good now. To open it is a little trick to push the seat backward and then flip up.

·
Registered
870 Posts
It's a real pain in the butt to get the rear seat to lock back on after removal (I used butt and rear in the same short sentence as some of you might have noted).
I am expecting for the pin under the seat to simply lock when I push it back down in place but it takes me 20 attempts before I am successful. I tried with and without the key, gently and slamming it down and it works randomly after way too many attempts. So my question is: is there a trick I am not aware of or is there any kind of adjustment that any of you recommend?

The bike is actually at the shop as I got an early "clutch switch" error message. Updated part is getting installed today I think and I'd like to have them fix this minor annoyance and if I could point them in the right direction that'd be great. I have found over the years that there's a vastly greater collective knowledge and wisdom in this forum than in any distributor or service network.

Thanks for any advice.
1. grease the seat pin and the lock
2. loosen a bit the seat lock, this will allow to adjust it
3. put the seat on and put it off
4. tighten the seat lock

The problem should be solved.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the same issue, the seat seems to be stuck and I can only get if off with a bit of brute force.
How do you "adjust" or "loosen" the lock, as suggested above?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have the same issue, the seat seems to be stuck and I can only get if off with a bit of brute force.
How do you "adjust" or "loosen" the lock, as suggested above?
Yes I was wondering the same...
I was able to "adjust" the lock plate assembly to be more centered on the pin.
(not actual adjustment, but tolerance in the plate holes)

NEVER MIND, THIS WAS A BRAIN FART ON MY PART.
THOUGHT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT ADJUSTING THE PIN...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yes I was wondering the same...
I was able to "adjust" the lock plate assembly to be more centered on the pin.
(not actual adjustment, but tolerance in the plate holes)
You can adjust it at the latch itself. I don't have a picture but the cable has a threaded end piece or nut ( I forget which). I have adjusted mine so that the little tab completely clears the hole, but that is not the only issue. If you are an intelligent octopus you will not have any problems, for the rest of us....... This is what I do:
With my left hand I turn the key operating the latch into the open position, while holding that I use my right hand to push the rear seat section back toward the rear of the bike. It takes a bit of coordination, but basically you have to push the seat back and pull up so the slot in the peg on the underside of the seat, is not caught on the edge of the of the plate that forms the hole.
It's not easy and is sort of a black eye in the design of the bike itself.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I replaced the original rear seat by a new MV Agusta Corse one. Same issue, it is very difficult to remove. Took a file and made a bit of abrasion on the pin to ease the opening of the lock (inside bottom face to make it very slightly angled (almost not visible)): it definitely ease the opening (I was used to do this on all my brand new bikes in the past).

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can adjust it at the latch itself. I don't have a picture but the cable has a threaded end piece or nut ( I forget which). I have adjusted mine so that the little tab completely clears the hole, but that is not the only issue. If you are an intelligent octopus you will not have any problems, for the rest of us....... This is what I do:
With my left hand I turn the key operating the latch into the open position, while holding that I use my right hand to push the rear seat section back toward the rear of the bike. It takes a bit of coordination, but basically you have to push the seat back and pull up so the slot in the peg on the underside of the seat, is not caught on the edge of the of the plate that forms the hole.
It's not easy and is sort of a black eye in the design of the bike itself.
I checked, and when I turn the key the little tab already completely clears the hole, so adjustment probably won't do me any good...
But I'll have to try the trick of pushing the seat backwards while lifting it off the bike.
I never thought of the peg catching on the edge of the plate, that's good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I replaced the original rear seat by a new MV Agusta Corse one. Same issue, it is very difficult to remove. Took a file and made a bit of abrasion on the pin to ease the opening of the lock (inside bottom face to make it very slightly angled (almost not visible)): it definitely ease the opening (I was used to do this on all my brand new bikes in the past).
Not sure what you mean, do you have a picture by any chance?

·
Registered
870 Posts

Rather than a picture, a little schema: I did use a tool to do some abrasion an remove a bit of the part of the pin which is in contact with the lock, as the friction between the two parts prevent the lock to open correctly. This way the lock will not open by itself, however, it is much easier to open because the friction between the two parts is much reduced.

·
Registered
44 Posts
View attachment 476261
Rather than a picture, a little schema: I did use a tool to do some abrasion an remove a bit of the part of the pin which is in contact with the lock, as the friction between the two parts prevent the lock to open correctly. This way the lock will not open by itself, however, it is much easier to open because the friction between the two parts is much reduced.
Clear now, many thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
View attachment 476261
Hi Marc, I did as you on my bike and now the seat goes in and out without problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts