MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a word of warning on the paddock stand for the F4 - as my pride and joy just fell off it!!!! let me explain >>
with the bike on the paddock stand i was happily cleaning the crud off the rear chain when without warning - plonk - it just fell away from me!! i was on the left side of the bike turning the wheel clockwise when it happenned. i was lucky to get away with a broken lever and bent clip on as i had all the bodywork removed.

after the cussing and swearing died down the head scratching started - how could this happen? i have owned these bikes for nine years and am fanatical when making sure the bike is safely on the paddock stand,then it dawned on me -to make life easier i had applied a small amount of grease on the stub of the stand to assist when removing it - reduced friction allowed the nylon spiggot of the stand to stay put allowing the wheel to turn on turn itself off it!!

also it is worth noting the position of the stand stub when it is in the wheel - the stub is only 75mm long - i was shocked to find that when it is in the wheel it dose not go to the centre line of the rear swinger which is worth noting is no where near the centre of the bike(go have a look)
the bike only needs to move a fraction away from the stand and it.s over.

be careful out there guys&gals you have been warned!!!

colin

·
Registered
673 Posts
I always 'pull' the tire towards the stand while I rotate it. I used to just spin it, but noticed it would inch its way towards the edge.
Sorry to hear about the get off =(

·
Registered
82 Posts
Happened to me, luckily only a scratch on the bar-end and slider. The inside of the axle is spiral machined like a fine nut. Now I make sure I turn the wheel so the axle moves towards the stand flange.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It always looked a bit precarious to me when I bought my first Ducati c/w stand. So I manuf. an extra support for the opposite side. 1 bush to fit in the hub, removable support arm from the frame to the height of the wheel ctr. Mounted a twin brg housing on top and a pin to locate thro the brgs into the wheel ctr bush. Have just finished making one for the MV too. Can supply photos if needed. Just need to get the lad round to do this op.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Get the PitBull...I had the same "fall" in the first week I owned my bike, caught it, saved the fall and limped around for a week. The PitBull works, easy to lift and no slipping off the stand issues what so ever. Ever!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I second the Pit Bull stand. I had difficulty getting the motorcycle on and off the factory stand. I bought the Pit Bull reversible rear stand have never looked back.....no pun intended.

Make sure you get the reversible Pit Bull stand so you can do sprocket changes with ease as well as taking the rear wheel off.

Glad to hear you got away with minimal damage.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
GEt the pitbull reversing rear stand that way you can lift the bike from right or left side. I just got one and it's great!!!

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bummer...

Sounds like the kind of thing that would happen to me...& can feel your pain...!

I use an "Abba" Superbike stand www.abbastands.co.uk which levers the bike up from the centre via locators on either side of the frame (sounds dodgy - but does work & very easy to use...) - would def. reccomend.

·
King of Bling
9,829 Posts
I use a FG stand on my MV, Ducati's and BMW..

The adaptor has a lock that screws into the shaft and also the shaft is on a bearing which allows you to spin the wheel without any problems..

I really rate these stands and have been using them for the last 10 years..

Here are some pics of the stand. Hope this helps explains the above set up..

Attachments

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I use a FG stand on my MV, Ducati's and BMW..

The adaptor has a lock that screws into the shaft and also the shaft is on a bearing which allows you to spin the wheel without any problems..

I really rate these stands and have been using them for the last 10 years..

Here are some pics of the stand. Hope this helps explains the above set up..
That one is nice if for no other reason than the color

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks for the warning, it must have felt like your world had collapsed. I'm going to make a attach a label or write on the factory stand not to let the bike fall off!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pitbull stand, i have 1 for all my bikes!!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I also use FG stand although it doesn't have the adaptor setup like JDS'. Never had any problem with bike slipping off when I used the factory stand but boy FG stand (and other aftermarket stands) makes propping up the bike so much easier. Now the factory stand just permanently sits in a corner of the garage.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Anyone have a part number for the reversable pitbull? I just see the standard non reversable. Where can I look for that FG stand as well. Thanks fellas.

Justin

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sometimes I start the bike up and spray WD40 onto the chain in first gear, what could happen in that situation!?!!!???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts