MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a beautiful 2006 Brutale 910 in the Silver/Red frame combo_One owner with 8000 miles on the odometer and in pristine condition (kept in a carpeted garage!). I've owned a few bikes including Ducatis and BMWs and this is by far the nicest, I love it.
As luck would have it I ignored a slight shimmy from the rear of the bike a couple of days ago and went for a spirited ride on some nearby B roads. I was pulling away from a traffic light going about 50mph when the rear end of my bike locked up. Needless to say it was quite an interesting moment when the bike slid to a stop from that speed and I considered the cars that I had left behind at the light were quickly coming up behind me! Luckily my Brute and I are both still here to tell the tale but please don't tell my wife or my riding days will be over...
So now my beautiful Brutale is sitting in my local repair shop and I am looking at the cost of replacing the rear hub, axle and brake carrier. Looking for feedback from others here that have had this experience. I called the MV dealer close to me here in NY and got a quote(!) for the parts I need to put my precious back together. Thanks to this very informative forum I know there is now an upgraded hub available for the bike which is how I want to go. When I spoke to the dealer and mentioned this new hub he tells me he's assuming MV will ship the upgraded hub automatically. I don't know if I am comfortable with his assumption. Does anyone in the US have any experience ordering the new upgraded hub kit from MV in the USA? Is there a part number for it?
I see that Vesuvio has the kit advertised and it includes the axle which I need and at a lower price than I was quoted by the dealer. Has anyone done this installation on one of the older bikes? Does the kit include everything you need? Any feedback on dealing with Vesuvio?
Thanks guys

·
Administrator
20,051 Posts
Order the parts for the 2010 model....You will be better off working with the US dealer then shipping from overseas.
Try contacting MV Agusta USA...they have a tech support guy who might be able to give you some advice.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
The rear hub goes bad for three different reasons.
1) improper torque on the hub bolts.
2) improper tension on the chain. (most common)
3) water inside.

Noel will tell you the little bearings were made for computers or something, not motorcycles. He is probably right, but have had good experience with the hubs on several MVs.

I have 13,000 miles on my on track bike, about 800 of them on the track, and have the same hub that was in the bike in '02.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The rear hub goes bad for three different reasons.
1) improper torque on the hub bolts.
2) improper tension on the chain. (most common)
3) water inside.

Noel will tell you the little bearings were made for computers or something, not motorcycles. He is probably right, but have had good experience with the hubs on several MVs.

I have 13,000 miles on my on track bike, about 800 of them on the track, and have the same hub that was in the bike in '02.
Hey CAG, same hub but i'm assuming you have serviced &/or replaced the bearings at certain intervals if so , what is you service schedule on the hub& bearings?

·
Administrator
20,051 Posts
Manual says service interval is 12000 miles...clean, inspect and grease. Mine still looked like new with the factory grease in good condition at 12K.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Hey CAG, same hub but i'm assuming you have serviced &/or replaced the bearings at certain intervals if so , what is you service schedule on the hub& bearings?
Actually, I have done nothing except make sure the bolts are torqued to spec and the chain has around 6mm of slack.

One of these days I will take it out and have a look at the bearings. When it does need bearings, I'll just call Noel instead of using the search function.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My turn for a question. CAG, will hosing off the swing arm (normal hosing with a medium spray pattern) get water into the hub area? I noticed that the swing arm has a seam along the top above this. I am assuming there is a rubber gasket in there to prevent this, but thats an assumption. I almost never wet my bike (i'm anal like that) but I did hose off the rear wheel this past weekend to get some built up grime (mostly chain wax spray) off of the swing arm.

Any worries?

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts
That hub is designed to run in the rain, so low pressure water should not intrude. Pressure washers should never be used. There are many fine products designed to remove many different types of gunk from surfaces...why use water?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Order the parts for the 2010 model....You will be better off working with the US dealer then shipping from overseas.
Try contacting MV Agusta USA...they have a tech support guy who might be able to give you some advice.
Yes ask for the 2010 model parts, not everyone at the dealers seem to know there is an improvment part available. I asked about it and they dident know anything about it, they had so send a mail to mv italy to confirm it

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts
That is what I use also...

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
My turn for a question. CAG, will hosing off the swing arm (normal hosing with a medium spray pattern) get water into the hub area? I noticed that the swing arm has a seam along the top above this. I am assuming there is a rubber gasket in there to prevent this, but thats an assumption. I almost never wet my bike (i'm anal like that) but I did hose off the rear wheel this past weekend to get some built up grime (mostly chain wax spray) off of the swing arm.

Any worries?
I wouldn't be worried.

·
Registered
311 Posts
fair enough, thanks. And yeah I don't plan on using water, it was just really built up and the swing arm is a rough surface.

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts
Use a dedicated cleaner and a lint-free rag...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update

I ordered my parts yesterday thru my local MV dealer. I believe I am getting the first if not one of the first kits with the upgraded hub thru the north american distributor. I took the advice of calling MV Agusta USA and I couldn't be happier with the service I received.
I work in high end retail and I am very sensitive to customer service.
The guys at MV USA addressed my concerns and worked with my dealer to get the parts I needed in an expedited manner. It's good to know that such excellent products are backed up by a customer oriented company. Thanks to everyone here for the good advice, it helped to turn a bad situation into a positive going forward.
The hub kit is part number 8000B3420 by the way and includes the upgraded hub and axle.
I can't wait to get back on the road with my Brutale!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, my rear hub failed on my F4 1078 with only 4,700km on the clock. I am now having to wait until January for the f*ing parts to arrive from Italy. There goes my December rides with my mates. I am really pissed!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not another one!!, what goes ?? i've done 15,000klms through rain hail & dirt tracks since july on my brute & the bearing is still like brand new!!:)
Chain is always with in 1-2mm of spec & pinch bolts are always done to correct torque :smoking:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts