MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys - just been out for my first ride since the 1200kms service on my 312r - first 150 miles went great spot on until i felt a wobble which appeared to be coming from the rear of the bike - i got the bike home and put it on the paddock stand and the rear wheel is loose in the hub!! there are metal filings where the disc has chewed into the alliminium guide between the disc and hub. i have just checked the 1200kms service requirements on the cd rom and the hub should have been inspected and greased!!
what causes this to happen? is it just a lack of grease? or is it bearings worn out?
do i have a claim against the dealer? - if the rear hub was inspected would they have found a problem?
if i get no joy from the dealer is it an easy job to do yourself? as i have seen a link about rebuilding the hub on this forum - just wondered about the pifalls/cost of the job.
any help would be appreciated.
guess the zzr 1400 will have to fill the gap for now.
cheers colin

·
Registered
363 Posts
Did anyone adjust the chain?. The slack is critical also the pinch bolts. If either one is over tightened, the hub bearings are toast.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
There are lots of threads on here about rear hub failures, it happened to me a couple of years ago, now I keep a complete spare with bearings just in case. If you haven't damaged the hub casing you can fit new bearings. The new models have a revised hub assembly with a beefed up bearing arrangement which can be fitted to the older bikes. John (JDS) on this forum is a mine of info when it comes to that kind of thing, why not drop him a PM.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Part of the problem is the balls in the bearing are so small that they go from good to total failure in the blink of an eye. By the time you feel like your riding on a flat tyre you need to stop immediatly and trailer the bike.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
checked the torque of the hub pich bolts this morning with disbelief - it was 60 newton mtrs!!! which begs the question what numpty worked on my bike?? i thought anyone with a pea for a brain new that this torque setting is critical!!the garage in question is three x motorcycles in dorset - the service cost £603 what else have they cocked up?
since three x lost the mv dealeship do they still have trained mechanics working on the mv?
i will be speaking to them tomorrow looking for some answers and will report back on my findings.
i have never had a problem with three x before they have always been fair on warranty claims and the like .
we are all mv nuts on this forum and when you hand pride and joy over for work to be done on it you expect the a level of expertise the bike deserves - sadly this dose not happen.
colin

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know the torque would not be the same as i suppose temps play a part here but i would not expect it to be double the manufactures recomendation.
colin

·
Registered
313 Posts
Companion I pass something to me similar, lacking of maintenance and the back nut I am something loose and must adjust with the exact pair as it says your manual. I could not obtain a bearing I am called on myself to buy all the bucket. I hope solve to your problem greetings to you, excuse my English

1 - 9 of 9 Posts