MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi everyone,

So I am freaking a bit... I decided to service the rear hub and when I removed the hub, I saw this considerable amount of metal shavings, and there was one thick one that I can’t even bend with my hand. I looked around and I can’t see where they came from. The hub looks fine to me but that doesn’t mean much. Anyone seen this before?
Leo
I would get myself a set of inside calipers get the specks from tech net for your MV and measure, if out get your self a Mitchy Hub set Lighter and Stronger apparently Cheers Bro good hunting!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Luckily the really thick swarf you have is not likely to mess up your rear hub .. its relatively soft aluminium, and not little wedge shaped sharp "chips" -- I would do a very thorough check of the seals on the hub bearings, and clean everything before reassembly..

·
Registered
231 Posts
I found the same thing on my swing arm when I pulled the hub...doesn't seem to be anything wrong so I'm just cleaning it out and putting the hub back in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Blimey, what's going on!!! None of these look like shavings from use or faulty swing arms, as previously said, seems to be machining waste, left over. Quite amazed at that. Considering just tipping the swing arm would remove it prior to assembly, I'm shocked the factory let the bikes be built to this standard :(

·
Registered
231 Posts
Blimey, what's going on!!! Quite amazed at that. Considering just tipping the swing arm would remove it prior to assembly, I'm shocked the factory let the bikes be built to this standard :(
Agreed. Just tip it down before inserting the hub. That's all it would take....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 312R Dan

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
Sometimes those chips can be caught up in smaller tight passages during the machining and handling between different processes and not come out with normal cleaning.
I should think the swing arm manufacture process after machining would include cleaning, but I recall a few cases of machining chips remaining in crankshaft oiling passages on a few Japanese bikes I dealt with during my career.....so I know it can happen...even with intense quality control processes in place.

Unlike those crankshafts...which resulted in serious engine problems (and after quite a few miles, too!!) ....this residue is just captured inside a hollow casting, bouncing about.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts