MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3810 2rs failed, aluminium ground away just a bit higher than circlip .
The rear brake holding assembly is free but won't come off.
Hard to tell where the hub ends and bearing begins because of damage.
Surely the brake assembly should be able to be removed, without
having to take bearing out first ? I guess I may need a new hub?
Hub with bearings from Italian website:) £ 420 ex pp
Is this expensive? This is my first go at mechanic in.
Nearest mv dealer 300 mile round trip. Local rice burner hospitals
don't want to know.
No torque wrench, will marking hub pinch bolts be sufficient ?
Help appreciated ! And hello all, from the emerald isle.

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
sicsinik469...go buy a decent torque wrench. You will find plenty of excuses to put it to use. Try a pawn shop for a possible good deal (I presume they have those in your land?).

Lot's of discussions on the rear hub on the forum. Search is your friend.

The Mitchy Hub is the answer if you want a more reliable part, but the updated MV hubs are better than the original.

Watch your chain tension!!! Overly tight drive chains are as damaging as overly tight pinch bolts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi something esque,
Sorry bout your name, seems hard to get back into previous screen, usually servers seem to think I'm a mobile phone.
Yeah I'll hit the local pawn shop. Yeah downloaded manual ,but hub section not much..
Well update on today in unusually glorious sunshine. Filing a burr on the right hub, got the bracket assembly off.
And eventually bearings out. Decided to go with the hub I got. Bearing surfaces seem good.
And still enough metal to hold the brake assembly circlip on. I guess while its in bits renewing both bearings is prudent.
Single sided swing arm begs the questions, form over function ? Yeah I know looks pretty cool!
Seems no prob on the 800 vtec! Went to the forum take back wheel off , me always looking for a short cut.
Forum says undo nut wheel falls off. What am I doin wrong ! 55 mm and 3/4 adapter= €45 later wheel undone.
Moving pillion pegs and exhaust and bingo ! What's with the design , too much spaghetti ?
By the way the closed bearing lasted 7000 miles. No sign of rust or heat, no warning, pulled in from 90mph
thinking I got a flat. Well I've learnt something today from joining up, I'm not alone and mv hubs need careful attention,

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
Toss the hub in the bin,any damage to it is not worth the risk,but it's your call.:jsm:

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
Noel,what I am thinking is,due to the crappy bearing failure the heat generated as the disc carrier is grinding the edge of the hub and machining it away could make the housing "soft" like an overheated alloy cylinder head,therefore the pinch bolts,chain tension would have more affect on the hub.If it was me I would throw the hub like a shotput into the nearest river and give the fish somewere to live lol:naughty:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a new torque wrench, not a used one. Used torque wrenches can be out of calibration and foul your whole job. Previous owners could have (probably did) drop it once or twice and that's all it takes .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now you've quanderised me, Mitchy! I'm leaning to a new hub.
Would like to experiment with the old but if it involves pain, maybe not.

Yeah matt, may be better off new torque wrench.

The knurl, what's pm's ?

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
A PM is a Post Message,its like sending a particular email to another forum member.Look at the top right of the page where you log in and you will see (0), when you see (1) it means you have a message,click on the number and the message will open so you can read it.Click on a members forum name and you will see how to send a PM to that member.Hope this is clear to you.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
sicsinik469;
Mitch covered you on PMs

you will need 2 torque wrenches
a 3/8" 0-75 lbft flex ratchet head is the way to go
a 1/2" 30-200,250 lbft ratchet head will do

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just putting back together the hub assembly on the brutal.
Is it just me! Or is there a knack for taking off and putting on
the rear wheel, with 190 tyre without moving the exhaust
and pillion pegs ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Just putting back together the hub assembly on the brutal.
Is it just me! Or is there a knack for taking off and putting on
the rear wheel, with 190 tyre without moving the exhaust
and pillion pegs ?

On the Brutale you have to swing the exhaust out of the way. Have a look in the manuals, they do mention it in there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
It's definitely easier if you undo the top bolts so the exhaust and foot pegs move but you can do it with them still in place with a bit of patience and wiggling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers guys,
Managed to get wheel back on, bit peed off scratching rim.
Bit of a palaver though, and at the mercy of Tyre fitters
with the torque settings. I don't hate much but bad design!!
I guess every bike has to have its Achilles hub err! heel.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Cheers guys,
Managed to get wheel back on, bit peed off scratching rim.
Bit of a palaver though, and at the mercy of Tyre fitters
with the torque settings. I don't hate much but bad design!!
I guess every bike has to have its Achilles hub err! heel.

Bad design?

Try a usual back wheel when you need 4 hands for various spacers, brake caliper and hooking the chain on all at the same time.

Remove 2 tiny bolts on the lower exhaust, twist around a little and the wheels goes on/off quickly.

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
Bad design?

Try a usual back wheel when you need 4 hands for various spacers, brake caliper and hooking the chain on all at the same time.

Remove 2 tiny bolts on the lower exhaust, twist around a little and the wheels goes on/off quickly.
Yep...the lower muffler is made to rotate in the mid-pipe juncture for just this purpose. I use 1/4 inch drive 8mm wobble socket to R&R the 2 bolts on the plate joining the 2 mufflers. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not so bad design!
Thanks it has made it much easier sorting the back wheel.
I guess with the fuse box melt down, £ 450 + labour and the rear
hub falling apart at 6500 miles, it gave me something to wonder about.
But the bearing/hub wasn't so bad to fix, a bonus not to pay the dealer
and I'm now the proud owner of a new torque wrench.
And to top it all the best test ride I've had so far.
Maybe it was the wet roads but smooth throttle control
on the 750 was well rewarded.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts