MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a few hours of searching on this site and also in the shop manual for the proper procedure of cleaning the hub bearings prior to a re-application of grease and unfortunately wasn't able to conclude with a foolproof method.

I'm somewhat worried about using a product like brake cleaner due to potential negative effects on the seals.

Also, is the wheel side ball bearing (thin bearing on right side of hub) a sealed bearing? No grease required, correct?

So, those of you that have been down this road and have some experience would you share some of that knowledge to minimize any errors on my part?

This is what the shop manual states "wash the roller bearing units, dry them, and grease them"

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,418 Posts
Remove the wheel side bearing from the hub,it will come out using your fingers.
Then wash the needle bearings with kero, thoroughly blow dry with compressed air.
Re-pack needle bearings with high temp grease.
Check the wheel side bearing for roughness when turning.
You are correct in saying the wheel side bearing is sealed.
Do not remove the seals,only replace the complete bearing if necessary.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Check Mitchy

However the wheel side sealed bearing is held in place within the hub by a locking retainer ring on my MY16 unless I'm mistaken. That bearing on my hub spins very smooth with absolutely no wear.

My concern was answered by you confirming that the bearing is sealed on both sides. Thanks

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,418 Posts
You can remove the retaining clip and the bearing so it doesn't become contaminated when cleaning with solvent.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
You can remove the retaining clip and the bearing so it doesn't become contaminated when cleaning with solvent.:smile2:
Can you instruct on how to remove the retaining ring as illustrated in the hub pic? Seems like it would be difficult, no?

·
Vendor
5,418 Posts
Just use a seal pick to pry the clip out slightly to get a small screwdriver under it and work it out of the groove.

·
Super Moderator
22,668 Posts
Check Micthy

However the wheel side sealed bearing is held in place within the hub by a locking retainer ring on my MY16 unless I'm mistaken. That bearing on my hub spins very smooth with absolutely no wear.

My concern was answered by you confirming that the bearing is sealed on both sides. Thanks
This gentlemen, is why we ask you to put your bike year and model in your signature line. Having that information up front allows a quick check of references so that the initial response is more accurate.

Mitchy's advice is spot on.

Reactions: Teeps and mitchy

·
Super Moderator
22,668 Posts
Thank-you good sir!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks to the tip by "TheKnurl" I picked up some CRC Sta Lube Sta-Plex extreme pressure grease for the roller bearings. Specs of this grease meet or surpass all those referenced in the shop manual.

This morning I put the hub assembly together after thorough cleaning and with fresh lubrication. Seemed to be a rather simple procedure with the shop manual and some insight by the forum members.

I did not find any of the three inner bearing spacers (races) worn/grooved on their mating points as others were finding when their cush drive started making contact with the left face of the hub housing.

At this point I'm not putting that wobbly, piece of engineering marvel, MY16 cush drive system back on the axle that was removed. I'll know in about a week or so what will take its place.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts