MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the book titled "I've Never Had a Motorcycle This Far Apart Before", this is Chapter Three, "Rear Hub Failure".

As I exited the freeway on my way to work this morning, I thought that I heard an odd 'creak' coming from somewhere. Three more block to work. Park bike. Go to work.
When I came out I thought it *might* be a good idea to figure out what that noise was before I headed home. Rolled the bike back and forth, listening and homing in on the rear wheel, and our rolls a ball bearing.

As it turns out, those new Ford flatbed tow trucks ride quite nicely.

So what I'm wondering at this point is how bad is this? Do I need a new hub, or can the remnants of the bearings be removed and new ones fitted?
The 'sleeve', nearest the 'top' of the axle (bottom photo) ought to come off, yes? It's pretty firmly fixed in place at this point.
The 'bottom', lighter-colored, sleeve moves freely and I imagine that both need to come off to remove the parts of the bearing that are still on the very bottom of the axle, nearest the rotor.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
The picture you show is of the roller bearing side of the hub. Those rarely fail. It's the other side that is shot. Pull the two sleeves off the axle. If the bearing is frozen to the axle, you'll have to cut it off. A cut off wheel should do the trick.

You are correct; that upper sleeve should slide right off. You may not need a new hub, you'll certainly need new bearings. I think Noel has them.

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Noel can help you out here. I think you can probably replace all the bearings with better units as recommended elsewhere...again, Noel has the info. If you want another hub, you can't go wrong with a Mitchy Unit...or, I have a nicely kept hub from my 312R sitting here if you get in a bind...no pun intended.
Glad you are alright.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noel can help you out here. I think you can probably replace all the bearings with better units as recommended elsewhere...again, Noel has the info. If you want another hub, you can't go wrong with a Mitchy Unit...or, I have a nicely kept hub from my 312R sitting here if you get in a bind...no pun intended.
Glad you are alright.
Thanks Chuck. Noel was the first thing I did (pm). :)

As nice as a new Mitchy hub would be, if I can get away with just 'replacing the bearings' (upgraded), I'd probably prefer that. Thanks for the offer. I will certainly keep it in mind.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The picture you show is of the roller bearing side of the hub. Those rarely fail. It's the other side that is shot. Pull the two sleeves off the axle. If the bearing is frozen to the axle, you'll have to cut it off. A cut off wheel should do the trick.

You are correct; that upper sleeve should slide right off. You may not need a new hub, you'll certainly need new bearings. I think Noel has them.
Regarding that upper sleeve, am I correct that it is not part of the needle bearing and that it is something that I will need to get in addition to the 'new bearings'?

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
just spoke with Chris.....

the inner race of the needle bearing shows no wear.....its good to go
and its already moved ~8mm usually there is some stuff in the spline area that hangs the inner race up a bit......out comes the Snap On bearing separator.....the inner race of the ball bearing gets heated with the TIG machine, then it just falls off

:drummer:

I'm just glad he stopped :)

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
Bearing separator is the safest way to go,you don't want to slip and cut into the axle:cry:A machine shop won't charge you much to pull the cage.I noticed there is not much grease in that hub,lack of service is evident.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Bearing separator is the safest way to go,you don't want to slip and cut into the axle:cry:A machine shop won't charge you much to pull the cage.I noticed there is not much grease in that hub,lack of service is evident.

+ 10..I read on other bike forums about guys waving around Dremels and even angle grinders to get inner races off..

No way..Tig it like Noel said or use the tool like Mitchy said..but keep the Dremel in it's box.

A side point with Dremels..Be careful with htem they can inflict some nasty injuries and look like harmless little gadgets. I once had a cutting wheel fly off one and zip past my eye..How close ? very close. I have a friend whose thumb doesn't work right as he sliced into the nerve with a Dremel.

I had thousands of hours in the past working with three phase woodworking machinery...The blades were biggish ..Injuries..Nil..but then they look dangerous and Dremels don't...get the point ?

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
Regarding that upper sleeve, am I correct that it is not part of the needle bearing and that it is something that I will need to get in addition to the 'new bearings'?
Chris,how many miles on the bike,just for my log of failures.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
Chris brought his hub and axle over the other day.....

toughest one I ever did, water got to the inner races of both bearings

the OD of the needle race was fine, like in the picture, it took some sandpaper to clean the ID

the inner race of the 3810-2RS wouldn't come off even after being heated with the TIG machine......it got hot enough, I annealed it :wtf:
then I couldn't crack it even when cut 3/4 of the way through:wtf:

bearing separator to the rescue.....Chris beat on it for ~3 minutes while I held it......time for an adapter for my Porta Power :naughty:

another thing for the record book the outer race came out in 2 pieces it split radially:wtf:
I was tapping it out with a brass drift from the other side

next inner race like that fuck it......cutting torch, no problem:drummer:

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
I hope you bought Noel a couple of bottles of Red after that episode.lol:yo:

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Mitch, the EVO 3 I am picking up next week had a hub failure early on. I'll let you know more about that when I pick up the bike.

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
Good thinking Chuck,that is the first thing I would do on a second hand MV,who knows who has been in there and what has been done.Hopefully all is OK,and congratulations on the purchase,just in time for Christmas.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts