MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i would post some pics of a rear hub from a MY2010/11 F4
This bike has only 14,000kms on it and was recently serviced at 12000 kms. The lack of service to rear hub and rear brake is evident from the pics. Putting this here is for other members who have not pulled a Hub apart can see for themselves if neglected it can be a costly exercise and maybe worse.
Last 2 pictures show after all is cleaned it is ready to put back together

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,276 Posts
Spiro,thanks for putting this up,it's a warning to owners how critical hub service is.Looks like grease has gone off and a bit of water ingress to add.:jsm:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate, it was pretty bad. The grease was like a sludge and there was deffinently water in the hub and brakes.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Spiro,thanks for putting this up,it's a warning to owners how critical hub service is.Looks like grease has gone off and a bit of water ingress to add.:jsm:
Thanks Spiro, have you had the bike from new? Referring to the possible water ingress, has the bike being pressure washed, or just ridden in the wet?
Whats that liquid sitting in the back plate(piston housing?)of the rear brake? Centre picture on the left.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks Spiro, have you had the bike from new? Referring to the possible water ingress, has the bike being pressure washed, or just ridden in the wet?
Whats that liquid sitting in the back plate(piston housing?)of the rear brake? Centre picture on the left.
Looks like a mix of brake fluid and water to me.
Those two liquids are best friends but are not working together very well....

Nice work Spiro !!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a mix of brake fluid and water to me.
Those two liquids are best friends but are not working together very well....

Nice work Spiro !!
Hahaha, yes brake fluid loves water.
The bike was second hand but was dated and serviced by a dealer. I wont mention anyone as its not nice and dont know the exact history.
I bought the bike to specifically turn it into a track bike.
I will be going over the whole bike and checking everything. Ill update with more pics as i go.

Attachments

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doesn't this mean the caliper seals have failed? I ask because I fried my rear caliper recently and melted the seals.
Hi there,
The seals can fail for different reasons. On this occasion when i pulled them apart i checked the seals and after cleaning them and re-assembling them the brakes work perfect. I pumped all the old oil out and ran new Dot 4.

I know it has been covered somewhere before on here about moisture getting into the brake system. Brake oil DOT 4 is a hygroscopic oil (attracts moisture) and does mix with oil.

I have never washed this bike but it has sat for 18 months in a temperature controlled garage.

The picture with the brake caliper that looks likes it has water in it is a mixture of oil and water. There was rust starting to form but i got it in time without it pitting the brake pistons or caliper.
I am also under the impression that the brakes have never been changed.
I will be doing the front brakes tomorrow and i will post some pics if you guys want.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Doesn't this mean the caliper seals have failed? I ask because I fried my rear caliper recently and melted the seals.
No mate, Spiros might correct me here, but in this case I recon the moisture in the brake fluid is due to the lack of service, moisture on the inside of the system.
I have never ever seen any dealer strip and service a set of brake calipers like it's supposed to be done, they wait till it fails and then service it.

Keep in mind that the MV caliper hangs at the bottom of all this shit, all the dirt and brake dust gathers on those pistons, they need to be cleaned if you use your bike all the time.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would assume you had no pads left on your rear brake so the heat transfered to the whole caliper. It would be fair to say then that rubber will lose to metal in the heat department. In the old days they made brakes out of asbestos, the ultimate product for non heat transfer.
Pity it caused cancer.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No mate, Spiros might correct me here, but in this case I recon the moisture in the brake fluid is due to the lack of service, moisture on the inside of the system.
I have never ever seen any dealer strip and service a set of brake calipers like it's supposed to be done, they wait till it fails and then service it.

Keep in mind that the MV caliper hangs at the bottom of all this shit, all the dirt and brake dust gathers on those pistons, they need to be cleaned if you use your bike all the time.
This is correct Donsy, if you dont pump out all the old oil in the line how do you know there isnt any moisture left in there. For the sake of 50ml of oil and 5 minutes of your time why would you risk not doing it properly.
As you mention the brake hangs at the bottom of the disc, picking up road grime, dirt, etc.

I change my brake oil every 18-24 months and pull apart my calipers and clean out the seals, pistons etc. It take about 40 mins to do the rear and an hour to do the front. I know a few people on here are not mechanically minded or couldn't be bothered and would rather pay someone to do it. I can pay someone to do it but will they do it properly.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hahaha, yes brake fluid loves water.
The bike was second hand but was dated and serviced by a dealer. I wont mention anyone as its not nice and dont know the exact history.
I bought the bike to specifically turn it into a track bike.
I will be going over the whole bike and checking everything. Ill update with more pics as i go.

Is the bike missing a right clipon, or was is just removed for some reason?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the bike missing a right clipon, or was is just removed for some reason?
Good pick up.

It is missing, im awaiting a new one. It was bent so its going in the bin.
Im actually replacing both. Also waiting for the race fairings to arrive.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Once a year I change the hydraulic fluid on all my bikes. It's like a spring clean and I quite enjoy it. There is nothing worse than attempting to turn the bleed nipple on your lovely Brembos and having them snap off. Regular bleeding negates this.

"Don't think about it..Just do it"

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
I hate it when her nipples break off.....

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i do not see a hub, was it the new type with holes, or the old design?
Hi, it was the new hub with the holes in it.
I decided to do the front brakes also. There was moisture and the metal had started to oxidize where the o-ring sits in the reservoir. (see 4th picture).
Pulled out the brake pistons and rubber rings for a thorough clean. Replaced the pads while i was at it.

I think a good point Donsy made earlier regarding the rear brake is because it hangs at the bottom and attracts more road dirt and grime it really should be serviced more frequently.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts