MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How can you set rear compression dampening

I tried for a hour or so - got my very longest screwdriver, but needs to angle at half way, removed the right peg and heel guard - ... ahm I'm all out of ideas on how to access it?

Surely someone has set their rear compression dampening - cant get a more basic and important item than this - why o why would it be placed in such a awkward position.

Actually the suspension setup information compared to my previous Buell XB is very poor. The XB manual had a complete breakdown of rider weights then the optimum settings and variations for smoother or quicker - very nice, I set the bike once and it was perfect.

Well I hope someone can shed some light on this as I desperately need to back it off from its bone jarring current positon if I am going to go on my small tour next week.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You mean the rear rebound screw? I use a really short stubby type screw driver which I had to shave the plastic handle off by 10mm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
airfuel said:
Dump the cat, get a midpipe= easy access!
Otherwise I guess you have to take apart the exhaust.
This is a item that should have easy access - not being able to set this is a pretty stupid design flaw - I have just lost some confidence in the bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
minime said:
You mean the rear rebound screw? I use a really short stubby type screw driver which I had to shave the plastic handle off by 10mm.
The screw near bottom of shock which is incased in the cat convertor.
I cannot see how to get a hand in there?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I'm not sure how different the exhaust routing is on the Brute vs the F4 but a stubby flat head screwdriver works fine. Dont try with the exhaust hot.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Iron Chef said:
The screw near bottom of shock which is incased in the cat convertor.
I cannot see how to get a hand in there?
Another reason to ditch the cat! Easy access then. 07's and one piece exhaust will make it harder and/or more expensive.

Tom

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Impossible for me to reach under and around to the screw head on the front right of bottom of shock, I can get two fingers in the gap and get them as far as back of lower part of shock, my hand is slim but still cannot fit it in far enough to reach.

Is there special way, I am trying to get to it from right hand side.

Zero chance I will be removing the cat - bike needs to stay 100% legal due to ever increasing police roadside blitz's targeting modified exhausts and rear mudguards on motorcycles in my area.

I just dont know if I should laugh or cry that you cant adjust this at home - adjusting suspension is a standard item like checking oil water and air in tyres not something that bike has to go to dealer for.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The dealer u got it from should adjust it for u for free!... depending on which way your heading off on your trip, try and see them first....

I am assuming u got it from the Gold Coast... Mark is the manager and should be pretty obliging!!! ... ask them to show u how they do for the future... saves u having to travel there every time till u get it right.

My suspenison is nearly right... not too much of an adjustment left to do on the rear to make it softer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Iron Chef said:
Impossible for me to reach under and around to the screw head on the front right of bottom of shock, I can get two fingers in the gap and get them as far as back of lower part of shock, my hand is slim but still cannot fit it in far enough to reach.

Is there special way, I am trying to get to it from right hand side.

Zero chance I will be removing the cat - bike needs to stay 100% legal due to ever increasing police roadside blitz's targeting modified exhausts and rear mudguards on motorcycles in my area.

I just dont know if I should laugh or cry that you cant adjust this at home - adjusting suspension is a standard item like checking oil water and air in tyres not something that bike has to go to dealer for.

I was able to get at it from the right side with both the cat and rearset in place with a long blade screwdriver (12 or so inches long). Hard to explain, and I have to hunt for the secret passage each time, but you start going in on an angle a little bit forward from the shock toward the frame and a little higher than where the rebound screw is. It's a direct line. You mentioned an angle in your first post, see if you can follow that out to the right side.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We've been attacking it the same way as "808 BOB" posted, this pic may help.......
But I have to say when I'm dialing them in on a test ride, carrying a big rrrs screw driver is a pain. I'd hate to try & explain why I'm carrying it to one of our "attitude" cops over here. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys - thats the way I was going in and my screw driver was a touch thick/short so today I bourght a screwdriver than flexes - actually not a screwdriver as such just a flexible drive with a small 5-6mm socket on end into which a placed a flat screw tip used in a cordless screw driver and then I loosen the rear brake lever end and rotated that down all the way and the combination allowed me to get in aok.

No wonder the bike was rough to ride - was set just 4 clicks out - standard is 17 and soft is 21 according to my manual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts