MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i finally got off my lazy ass and searched for the reason why my rear brake no workie workie. well, i thought i blew the rubber hose from the master cylinder to the reservoir. well, that's not it. i felt around the bottom of the res and found a hole. looks like there was a plug in it. i'm going to take it apart tonight or tomorrow, but has anyone ever had this happen to them? anyone know how much a new res would cost? if it's expensive, i'm just going to fill the hole with resin or something.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Great write up. Looks like a lot of work!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good write up! i don't think i'm going to relocate tho. i don't use the brake when riding hard, but it's nice to have in the city.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
J_Spec said:
good write up! i don't think i'm going to relocate tho. i don't use the brake when riding hard, but it's nice to have in the city.
I read that article a while back before I got my Senna, now that I had had the Senna for 14 months and with a couple of melted credit cards from storing my wallet under the seat, I am not so sure it is the best place for the reservoir?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
odonata said:
I read that article a while back before I got my Senna, now that I had had the Senna for 14 months and with a couple of melted credit cards from storing my wallet under the seat, I am not so sure it is the best place for the reservoir?
lol, very true. the plastic bag that holds all my insurance stuff is kinda melted as well. i may try to fabricate a vent tube for the res. something that vents air from the opening in the bottom of the belly pan. hopefully it won't be too ghetto. :stickpoke

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
J_Spec said:

You don't use what brake when riding hard??? :confused:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any of them! lol, just kidding. i don't use the rear brake when riding hard. sorry for the confusion.

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
motowheels.com has a carbon heat shield for the rear brake resevior. not sure how good it would work..... bleeding the rear brake does pretty good, if done right.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
J_Spec said:
any of them! lol, just kidding. i don't use the rear brake when riding hard. sorry for the confusion.
I still don't think that's the best plan for riding hard, but your an adult and I'm sure you know what your doing.

:lightning

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a lot of people i've talked to don't use their rear brake when riding hard. the one time i did decide to use it, it stopped working all together. lol.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Damn MV's. You can't live with them and you certainly can't live without them- sucks.
So I guess you just became accustumed to just using the front by itself then now?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pretty much. lol. i had no choice. funny thing is, some of my friends who ride jap bikes don't even use their rear brake.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I don't know man. That's a lot like not using your left foot for walking. It's there for a reason and has been proven to work well together with the front to both get the bike down to speed then help keep it balance through the corners.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i know. meh, once i get mine fixed, i want to learn differnt techniques to maximize my cornering abilities. i know braking is a huge factor. i'm still relatively new to street riding (4 years licensed and this is my 3rd bike) so i really want to learn as much as i can.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Ozboy said:
The last comments looked very helpful.

I bedded my rear brake when running the bike in,it works beautifully now.

Good find Ben
When you say bedded the rear brake in....can you explain what you meant?

·
Registered
689 Posts
MV1 said:
I don't know man. That's a lot like not using your left foot for walking. It's there for a reason and has been proven to work well together with the front to both get the bike down to speed then help keep it balance through the corners.
I rarely use the rear brake. When riding quickly, "rarely" becomes "almost never."

Under hard braking there's so little weight on the rear wheel that it can't provide any braking force before locking up. The left foot analogy doesn't hold up. If your right leg were so much stronger than your left that you could hop better than walk, because putting too much weight on your left leg made you fall over, then perhaps I could buy the analogy.

On the local tracks there were only a few corners where I ever used the rear brake. A typical example of that is the old Turn 11 at Sears Point. That was fifth gear down to first for a hairpin, with ripples in the pavement. Using the rear brake initially reduced the tendency of the rear to hop on the ripples, but once as I approached maximum braking, I'd have released the rear brake.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts