MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, did another mountain run today. used the rear brake a little more than usual. after a little while, it had zero feeling. i figured that maybe the master cylinder just got too hot and the fluid was boiling. well, i let the bike sit and cool for a little while. got back on and there was still zero feel. i'm on my way home and i stopped by a little (and i mean little) ducati shop. he had an F4 sitting out front. i started talking to him and i showed him the rear brake lever. he pushed on it, looked at the master cylinder and thought the same thing i did. too hot. but, after some more snooping around, we find a nice splash of fluid on the inside of the belly-pan. i guess one of the lines got punctured or blew a small hole somewhere. yay. anyone else ever have this happen? do you think it'll be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I've never had that problem, but my rear brake hardly ever works.

I have had it off and I pushed all new fluid through it after getting a LOT of air out of it (how it got there, I have no idea but I'm guessing it boiled pretty bad). But it still goes away again. There's so far nothing I've been able to do.

If you pump the lever about a million times, sometimes you'll get a hint of a lever back. I have to do this when changing the back tire so my wife can hold the brake while I torque the nut.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
guys, could this boiling problem be caused by cheap brake fluid from the factory? anyone tried galfer super dot4 or brembo fluid? after a flush ofcourse

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I've never heard of any fluid that was the fix. Although I haven't heard of anyone using that super high dollar Castrol stuff either, which is usually regarded as the best.

I've tried Motul RBF600 and Castrol GT-LMA. The GT-LMA is my favorite for racing, it's cheap and it works the same as other name brand motorcycle fluids.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was out on mine yesterday and just wanted to try out a few things. I tried to come to a complete stop using my rear brake while coming up to a light. Guess what, the bike slowed down but it just dragged, and had that same zero feel. I thought my front brakes were ass when I first got the bike. It felt like I have to pull the lever to far to get good grab. I changed the brake pads and that fixed that problem. My next order from emoto will be rear brake pads/rotor for sure. I hate the feel of the rears.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I took my rear Break off my Aprilia The Brembos i have are well known for failing
i just took it off, have it around here somewhere if anyone needs it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey guys, Some of the guys on this board have had sucess relocating the rear brake resovior to under the seat and away from the pipes. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've thought about that. but at the same time, i usually don't use my rear brake anyways. idk. i'm gonna take it back to the dealership tomorrow. we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
mv2envy said:
or you could just wrap it in some fiberglass heat shield. that might work.
I think it has more to do with the master cylinder than the reservoir.

I wrapped the exhaust in the area of the rear brake master cylinder and reservoir with thermal wrap, and this didn't help.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i was sure it's the reservoir. that's the reason for the reservoir relocation on the 1000's. people who have moved it under the seat don't experience the brake loss anymore as far as i remember. i'll be doing this when i'm back on the road. i'll give a report. if it still sucks, then...oh well.

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
i changed to a brake tech axis full floating rotor ductile iron (rear), and ferrado sintered race pads.... still after some use it fades, but less than before..... the relocation should be a nice fix to this problem.

thing is...i'm running out of room under the seat area......HID's, PCIII, and pirates lair turn signal box all are taking space in my so-called storage area.... yes...no tools (except me)...and you can try all you want to tighten that chain without the tool....but it won't work..... tool pack needed :banghead:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts