MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've used the search function and it seems like many other things in life - a matter of opinion. I'm strongly considering Royal Purple 20w50, Agip 10w60 and Mobil 1 20w50. Is there any actual proof of which is the best? If the consensus is Agip does anyone know a place in the states to buy it? I did find a case on ebay for around $145 delivered. Any better places to buy? Thanks!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = /><o:p></o:p>

If the oils all meet or exceed the certifications, shouldn't they protect in virtually the same way? Or do those certifcations only take fresh oil and not factor in wear?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have used Mobil1 20w-50 and it is crap in my MV, switched to 20w-50 Amsoil and clutch feels better and shifts smoother, less oil "weep" and breather crud too.ANd I use the same oil in my XL500 and HD.
Just my opinion and results.
Yours may vary.
Nothing wrong w/Agip or Royal Purple. Amsoil is competively priced by the case.
(I am not anti Mobil1 as I run it in one of my cars since new from factory, just not my choice for bikes)

Ed:)

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I use AMSOIL in my bikes too, and I felt similar results to Ed in the MV, smoother shifting, smoother engine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Amsoil for me. Felt maybe a little smoother than the Agip, probably just imagining it though. I use it because it's available locally (for about twice the price of online) in case I need some that day for an emergency or whatever. Otherwise I order online, and if you sign up for their preferred customer program, you get another 20% off...

·
Old Wing Nut
21,954 Posts
Oh Boy....another oil thread....:yo:

I use the factory recommended ENI 10-60. Used to be Agip......

Pretty much all oils are good these days. None of the premium oils are recycled gunk and all have about the same additive packages.

I tend to feel that the factory knows what they are doing (Noel will disagree) and therefore follow their recommendations, particularly with regards viscosity. :blah:

Oh, and I buy my Agip (ENI) oil from Agip America.....Google will take you there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I often wonder when a manufacture recommends a specific brand since everything nowadays is driven by $$. My SUV recommends Mobil 1 5w-30 and it even has a logo on my oil fill cap. Not that Mobil 1 isn't good oil but I'd be willing to bet virtually everything I own that $ was behind all that. I doubt my vehicle manufacture did extensive studies to determine the absolute best oil and I wonder the same thing about Agip and MV.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have no brand loyalty, but always use the recommended grade for the engine, whatever the vehicle? why would you use different? Whilst I can accept their choice of "recommended supplier" might be driven by $$, they wouldn't recommend a specific grade without good reason, free of $$ consideration.

10/60 is what the manual says for Europe, so 10/60 is what it gets .......

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have no brand loyalty, but always use the recommended grade for the engine, whatever the vehicle? why would you use different? Whilst I can accept their choice of "recommended supplier" might be driven by $$, they wouldn't recommend a specific grade without good reason, free of $$ consideration.

10/60 is what the manual says for Europe, so 10/60 is what it gets .......
My manual says either 10-60 or 20-50...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Happy to help guys in Australia who wants to try Amsoil. Free shipping anywhere in Australia for a gallon of 20W-50 Amsoil.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Motul 300V 10W40 in my bike. They don't make a 300V 10W60 that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Availability. My bike needed an oil change pretty bad (back when I did the change), so I searched around and finally found some Motul oil locally. I love the smell of Motul and the company I used to work for was sponsored by them, so I know the quality of their products. I can't even find Motul up here in Fairbanks, let alone a specific weight of 300V. I'll order the right stuff when I need to change the oil again.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I believe they make a 15w50 though J_spec, I'd go with that over the 10-40. I'm curious, what's your reason behind the 10-40? Availability?
The 10w-40 will flow better than the 20w-50. Less component drag on the motor which will increase HP slightly.

Most newer Japanese bikes has been running with 10w-40 and the latest ones uses 5w-30.

·
Registered
Mv agusta f4 2015
66 Posts
i use rock oil 10w60 fully synthetic synthesis 4 , smooth gear changes easy selection, light clutch, no slippage plus rock oil has a long history with race bikes and race oil, exceeds agip 10w60 spec

·
Old Wing Nut
21,954 Posts
The 10w-40 will flow better than the 20w-50. Less component drag on the motor which will increase HP slightly.

Most newer Japanese bikes has been running with 10w-40 and the latest ones uses 5w-30.
And their oiling systems are designed for that viscosity.....

Whatever oil you choose be certain it is not "energy conserving" auto oil, as that stuff has additives that will ruin your wet clutch.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
i use rock oil 10w60 fully synthetic synthesis 4 , smooth gear changes easy selection, light clutch, no slippage plus rock oil has a long history with race bikes and race oil, exceeds agip 10w60 spec

That's a great choice Karl. Is there a good uk source for this oil ?

Joe

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dealer used Mobil 4t 10W-40. Changed to Amsoil 10W-40 since doing my own oil changes. Use Amsoil in all my vehicles. Smooth shifting as stated
Just ensure to change it at appropriate intervals. Filters only filter for so long. Oil I use says it will go 7,500 miles but I don't wait that long. Typically around 4,000 or 6 months whatever comes first.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just bought some Repsol 10W-40 on accident. I must've been half asleep when I ordered it cause I was going for the OEM spec 10W-60. The bike is already drained of oil with new filter and drain plug in place, ready to pour the fresh oil in. I also have enough left over Repsol 10W-50 from last year. Which do you think is better, the 10W-40 or 10W-50?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts