MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while (years) since posted on here, mainly because haven't had any probs with my 1078. But I'm now selling it (trying to) and I can't believe that only one person has checked it out. He didn't buy it because it was too much for him (he'd never ridden one and he got scared I think) and I think he was also worried about the scuff mark on the swing arm from my boot. Anyway, I keep dropping the price and still no lookers, no phone calls - nothing. There's only a few for sale in Australia and just so surprised that no one seems interested in them. Two years ago I went to sell and had 4 guys interested, but stupidly, I couldn't bring myself to sell it then and took it off the market at the last moment. Now trying to work out what I'm doing wrong?

·
Administrator
20,072 Posts
MV Agustas are not an every man motorcycle.... There are a lot of misconceptions about reliability, parts supply, serviceability......

You just have to keep it. You don't really want to sell it anyway. It still makes you smile every time you ride it.

List it for the price you want and just let it sit there until the right person who knows what it is comes along.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I agree you are right,i am trying to sell my 989r and no one really interested but so far i have resisted to drop the price.A couple of people have said to me about servicing and that they would be afraid of everything going wrong with them.People really dont much about Italian bikes at all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The BMW dealer in Adelaide wouldn't take my 910S Brutale as a trade at any price. The MV dealer would only offer me $5000 as a trade against a new bike. At the time my bike had 17,000kms on it with a full dealer service history from new. Ultimately they did me a favour because since sorting out most of the common issues and getting more time in the saddle I'm happier with the bike now than when I bought it. I guess it took a little getting used to and having worked on it a few times I've come to realise that it's relatively simple to maintain.

·
Registered
727 Posts
MV Agusta it's not a very easy to sell bike, it's the most exclusive so most likely you only receive a handful phone calls and half from posers that want the bling factor to tide to the local coffee or gathering point. Occasionally appears one guy that asks all the right questions. I had a friend once that stopped riding and the only thing we could do was a trade for a car on a high end car stand that wanted a bike just for show. I'm sure that bike will end in a luxurious living room just for show.On the other hand you've over priced second hand Ducatis and BMW s:wink2:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys, all good points. Pretty crazy really, I've not had any problems with my MV.

TBH, I'm not selling it to buy something new, I'm only selling it because I really don't ride much anymore. I'm not into coffee shops and posing, and the reality is that so much traffic now, even in the hinterland areas, along with ridiculously reduced speed limits everywhere and extremely high levels of policing, that its just not worth it anymore. I guess the powers to be have finally beaten me down and won - they have got another motor bike rider off the road.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sounds like you will be forced to keep it as a beautiful garage ornament.
Life could be worse. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Keep it, ride it when you can. Or feel free to park it in my garage with my Brutales and I'll ride it once a month for you to keep it moving :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
have you tried Gumtree. If you are using Bikesales you don't always get good results. When i sold my old KTM Duke, I had it on both, got zero responses from bikesales but 10-15 from Gumtree (a lot where low ballers/scammers). Someone from Gumtree ended up buying it. Worst $40 I ever spent on Bikesales ad.

·
Registered
114 Posts
have you tried Gumtree. If you are using Bikesales you don't always get good results. When i sold my old KTM Duke, I had it on both, got zero responses from bikesales but 10-15 from Gumtree (a lot where low ballers/scammers). Someone from Gumtree ended up buying it. Worst $40 I ever spent on Bikesales ad.
A good point. I bought mine after browsing Gumtree, wasn't even seriously looking to buy another bike. But I think that's one of the main selling points of an MV, lust at first sight. Good photographs and a well worded advert.
The only downside with Gumtree as has already been pointed out is there are some seriously demented fuckwits who will offer you $5 or sex with their sister as a trade.

I advertised a 4WD on there once and one woman wanted to swap her caravan for it, WTF??

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had the same thing when trying to sell my F4 1000S from 2006 last year. I had it for sale from March till September until I sold it. Same story as with you:
- Not much interest
- The interest there was there was all low balling prices
- I also dropped the price from initially 7500 euro to under 7000 Euros, but still only low balling prices in range 4500 euros.

Luckily I did as was also suggested above, I did not move down anymore and just waited. Finally in September 1 guy finally showed up who could really appreciate the bike and sold it for 7000 euros in the end.

Conclusion: wait for the right guy (even though it is hard as when you move to next season the bike is a year older and your insurance and roadtaxes start again).

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
If I ever have to hang up my MV boots...I'd only sell to a friend....I'd need to know she was in the right hands....

Joe
I sold my 2007 Senna by consigning it to the local shop. The idiot who bought it wrecked it 3 times in about 6 months and I was pissed. It was in perfect condition prior to that.

The 1078 is a special bike so I would hold on to it. Once gone there won't be many other opportunities to have one

·
Registered
307 Posts
Joe,you sound like my wife she did not want me to sell the 989 as the person who bought it might not look after it.But i really want the F4 abs so that won the arguement but i did tell the lad who bought it to look after it and not abuse it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Ever thought it might be over priced

1 - 20 of 26 Posts