MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Noel can provide some insight here.

I did a search and found a place that he recommended for zinc plating of my old Dzus Fasteners (Aerodynamic Plating). I called them up and they gave me a ballpark quote of $90.

My question is how durable is the zinc re-plating? Will I have to re-plate again in a few years?

If so, maybe just going with stainless steel or titanium fasteners will pay for itself over the years?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
214 Posts
There is zinc and there is cadmium plating. I'm not positive, but I think the stock Dzus on my F4 1000S are cad plated. I don't think zinc would hold up as well.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Zinc is not a friendly metal to electronics. It tends to develop whiskers on it's surface that can break off and get sucked into electronics and cause a short. While the probability is quite low that one of those whiskers will get sucked into the bike into some covered electronics the remote possibility would bug the heck out of me. Zinc rack components are banned from most datacenters because of the very real possibility of whiskers being sucked into server fans and shorting the internal components out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisker_(metallurgy)

·
Registered
14,631 Posts
gold zinc?

the fasteners have gold zinc plating on them

i sent everything to Aerodynamic Plating
including my rusty, crusty, painted black Dzus fasteners

axles, bolts, clips, brackets......everything except head nuts and main case bolts

they come back looking brand new:drummer:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts