MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, 1090rr now has 10,000 miles on the clock, only real issues have been a broken gear selector return spring and a broken dipped beam housing, the latter probably my fault for taking the front light off to re-locate the indicators and not putting the rubber washers back on right.

However, more recently I've been experiencing some trouble starting the bike up and I've had it cut out on me a couple of times after hard acceleration and braking, this coupled with a lot of popping and crackling on the over-run makes me think the fueling is out. Worth mentioning here that I have the full titanium MVCorse stubby exhaust fitted with a BMC fast flow air filter and sport ECU.

The easy option would be to complain to my local dealer, like others have done, and get them to fit a new ECU. But I still don't think that is going to cure my problem completely so I've decided to get it down to the guys at Hilltop motorcycles today, put it on their dyno and go for a full re-map. It will be interesting to see what kind of BHP this bike it putting out before and after and also to report back on wether or not it cures my problem.

Watch this space.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
They are able to remap the ecu? I thought that was not possible, and that about all they can do is reset the tps and balance the throttle bodies/check for error codes.
Hope I am wrong...would be nice to be able to tune/correct fuelling for local conditions.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
They are able to remap the ecu? I thought that was not possible, and that about all they can do is reset the tps and balance the throttle bodies/check for error codes.
Hope I am wrong...would be nice to be able to tune/correct fuelling for local conditions.
As above, you cannot remap the ecu - so if you can, then all the mechanics I have spoken to are all wrong. Please let us know and confirm for all of us ! :popcorn:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK
First run...
Fuelling all over the place, mostly running far too rich, peak power 119BHP at the back wheel.
Plugged in and Downloaded new firmware onto the ECU.
2nd run peak power 137BHP but still a bit erratic.
Fiddled about a bit on the computer.
3rd run 140BHP and smoother.
Fiddled about a bit more.
Last run 142BHP and smooth as you like.
Tested through the gears and didn't like what he saw, said the peak power band was too narrow.
Fiddled about on the computer some more and ran the test again.
Max power 142BHP Max Torque 135ft/lb and lengthened the power curve.

Rode the bike back in the freezing cold so couldn't really give it the beans but it felt like a different bike, smooth as you like and oodles of power right through the rev range.

If anyone is interested the guys called Jeff and he runs Hilltop Motorcycles, they're based in Earl Shilton next to Mallory park and they tune up the race bikes for a number of teams including Michael Rutter.

As soon as I can work out how I'll post up the maps.

·
Registered
167 Posts
OK
First run...
Fuelling all over the place, mostly running far too rich, peak power 119BHP at the back wheel.
Plugged in and Downloaded new firmware onto the ECU.
2nd run peak power 137BHP but still a bit erratic.
Fiddled about a bit on the computer.
3rd run 140BHP and smoother.
Fiddled about a bit more.
Last run 142BHP and smooth as you like.
Tested through the gears and didn't like what he saw, said the peak power band was too narrow.
Fiddled about on the computer some more and ran the test again.
Max power 142BHP Max Torque 135ft/lb and lengthened the power curve.

Rode the bike back in the freezing cold so couldn't really give it the beans but it felt like a different bike, smooth as you like and oodles of power right through the rev range.

If anyone is interested the guys called Jeff and he runs Hilltop Motorcycles, they're based in Earl Shilton next to Mallory park and they tune up the race bikes for a number of teams including Michael Rutter.

As soon as I can work out how I'll post up the maps.
:wtf: I call BS

numbers per MCN:
Horsepower (claimed):142.2 bhp @ 10,600 rpmTorque (claimed):85 ft/lb @ 8,000 rpm

where did you get +50 ft/lbs of torque. Even if you meant to claim 135Nm that would still be 99ft/lbs

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dyno Runs

Here you go guys.

First run. You can see the Air / Fuel ratio is all over the place early on then way too rich. Didn't get a print out on this after the new firmware had been downloaded but saw it on the screen and it started lean up to 3000rpm them settled between 12.5 and 13.5 all the way up the rev range.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
:wtf: I call BS

numbers per MCN:
Horsepower (claimed):142.2 bhp @ 10,600 rpmTorque (claimed):85 ft/lb @ 8,000 rpm

where did you get +50 ft/lbs of torque. Even if you meant to claim 135Nm that would still be 99ft/lbs
Motoarch
I'm just reporting back so the guys who are being told that the ECU cannot be remapped are better informed. An ECU is just a computer chip you can remap them all if you have the right software to crack the code.
I can only tell you what I saw happen and what I felt before and after. And, you don't seriously believe anything you read in MCN do you?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Then check MVs own site were its listed as 115Nm. That works out to about 85ft/lbs. There is no way thats right not even close.

EDIT: look at your second pdf it shows 84.76. not sure what the 135 is about. Looks like your putting factory crank numbers down at the wheel. pretty impressive.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then check MVs own site were its listed as 115Nm. That works out to about 85ft/lbs. There is no way thats right not even close.

EDIT: look at your second pdf it shows 84.76. not sure what the 135 is about. Looks like your putting factory crank numbers down at the wheel. pretty impressive.
I dont really understand the graphs that well so I just took the number from the last run through the gears (bottom right picture where it reads max torque 134.62) All these numbers are at the back wheel, where it matters as apposed to the figures the manufacturer likes to display which are always taken at the crank. The last 6th gear run shows max torque at 84.76 @ 7765 rpm thats probably where MCN get their numbers from and perhaps thats the one I should report.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Motoarch
I'm just reporting back so the guys who are being told that the ECU cannot be remapped are better informed. An ECU is just a computer chip you can remap them all if you have the right software to crack the code.
I can only tell you what I saw happen and what I felt before and after. And, you don't seriously believe anything you read in MCN do you?
Flushman, excellent results. I was told that MV Agusta were the only people who could ('crack the code' and) re-map the ecu. Are you able to find out what software your dyno tuner used to re-map the ecu? :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
+100

Flushman, excellent results. I was told that MV Agusta were the only people who could ('crack the code' and) re-map the ecu. Are you able to find out what software your dyno tuner used to re-map the ecu? :popcorn:
I don't care about the numbers, as has been said before the before and after results are what counts.
I think there will be a rush on remapping if this is available...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will give Jeff (The tuner guy) a call in the morning and ask him what software programme he used. I know it involved downloading new firmware onto the ECU but thats as far as my technical abilities go.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've spoken to the guy who tuned the bike and he informed me that after spending £185,000 on a state of the art Dyno machine and spending two years reverse engineering the ECU's in order to obtain the protocol Keys for each manufacturer, he's not overly keen to give the information away. He did say if your prepared to fly him over to Australia, he'll bring his laptop, rent a dyno machine for the day and sort all your bikes out.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I was referring to someone other than you mate, but since you obviously are oblivious to what is going on, I will let you in too.
To the average MV rider and dealer the OEM (Standard) ECU and EPROM is not accessible, or adjustable.
That is why people are getting sucked into your thread/comments, as dealers tell them quite truthfully that the ECU mapping is not changeable and that is why people buy Powercommanders or so-called "Race ECU" units.
Most guys don't realise that the "Race ECU"'they paid big money for is the same thing as the one already on their bike, but with a different map programmed into it.
The bloke who worked on your bike is one of a hand full of guy's who can perform this service, IE, read and re-write mapping on the OEM ECU. ( And it would have cost him a lot more than what he charged you I promise you )
And this is something that will upset a whole lot of people because they sell the aftermarket parts at top dollar that is really only parts exchange.
That is why you pay good money for something like a Microtec ECU which allows guy like me access to all the fruit, that does not mean I can improve on the OEM ECU mapping, for that we have guys with dyno's and experience to write improved maps for our bikes.

I hope this helps. I am no master at these things and I am sure there will be many a bloke that would correct me and/or add to what I just said.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was referring to someone other than you mate, but since you obviously are oblivious to what is going on, I will let you in too.
To the average MV rider and dealer the OEM (Standard) ECU and EPROM is not accessible, or adjustable.
That is why people are getting sucked into your thread/comments, as dealers tell them quite truthfully that the ECU mapping is not changeable and that is why people buy Powercommanders or so-called "Race ECU" units.
Most guys don't realise that the "Race ECU"'they paid big money for is the same thing as the one already on their bike, but with a different map programmed into it.
The bloke who worked on your bike is one of a hand full of guy's who can perform this service, IE, read and re-write mapping on the OEM ECU. ( And it would have cost him a lot more than what he charged you I promise you )
And this is something that will upset a whole lot of people because they sell the aftermarket parts at top dollar that is really only parts exchange.
That is why you pay good money for something like a Microtec ECU which allows guy like me access to all the fruit, that does not mean I can improve on the OEM ECU mapping, for that we have guys with dyno's and experience to write improved maps for our bikes.

I hope this helps. I am no master at these things and I am sure there will be many a bloke that would correct me and/or add to what I just said.
I get it. Cheers mate. Took the bike out today, cannot believe the difference. Worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts