MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have problems with the heat shielding coming off the inside of their F4 body panels? I've just replaced mine tonight. Bought some replacement Thermo-Tec shielding (v.expensive!) and used the original bits (that were unsticking and falling off) as templates, except I improved on MV's application and extended the areas where the side panels meet the belly-pan. My bodywork seems to be suffering a slight warpage around the dzus fastners in this area and I'm concerned it's due to excess heat.

I also replaced all the coolant and added water-wetter. Though I've not ridden it yet, (drinking a couple of beers as I worked), the bike is able to manage it's temp at 94C at idle, which it wasn't able to do before, even when the fans cut in.

Si

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I replaced all the coolant and *added* water-wetter. I went with about 60% distilled water, 30% anti-freeze, and the bottle of ww probably came to about the last 10%.

The whole process was made slightly more difficult by the expansion tank being rather opaque, so I had to make myself a dipstick from a wooden dowel.

Si

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I'm not so sure that regular quality pre-mixed coolants aren't just as good. The pre-mix anti-freeze+coolant I bought itself claimed to reduce engine temperature. It probably does that in the same way as WW does, by breaking up the molecular surface tension of the liquid. Perhaps the only reason for WW to be sold as it is for mixing is that many tracks don't allow race bikes to use an anti-freeze based coolant, (cos it's slippery), so it's just a case of mixing it in with water and leaving out the anti-freeze.

Si

·
Registered
479 Posts
Pure water is a better coolant than anti-freeze. Like you said WW breaks the surface tension of it, and allows it to "get in" to more areas of the cooling passages yielding better heat transfer.

I've added WW to a car (I was having cooling problems with) with anti-freeze in it, and it did help lower temps a bit.

Follow the instructions on the bottle, in a motorcycle you just need a small bit out of the bottle normally.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
luvtolean said:
Follow the instructions on the bottle, in a motorcycle you just need a small bit out of the bottle normally.
So, err.... not the whole bottle then..? I thought I was following the instructions, but they were in olden tounge, like: a quart of this, etc. I thought a quart probably meant a quarter-pint, so their instructions to use one bottle per cooling system of capacity 12-16 quarts seemed about right. Have I fekked up?

Si

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went for a first ride since replacing the coolant and adding the water wetter. It's definitely running a few degrees C cooler, and I don't think the ambient outside temp is less than it was when I had the overheating issue before. So it definitely seems to help a bit. But I also did an oil change at the same time, so fresh oil may have helped a bit too.

Si

1 - 8 of 8 Posts