MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just passing it on to anyone who may be interested....

Cheers

·
Registered
523 Posts
The best bike ever built, no doubt. The list highlights only some of its successes ..and most are championships, not races. As a road bike too, it's a jewel. I've owned one eight years, and I've never even had a bulb blow on it. It starts first time every time - often after standing for months - and it runs like a Swiss watch. It's the most capable two-wheeler I've ever owned or ridden. Buy one whilst they're still affordable!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Always liked these bikes

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Likely they could re-release this, and sell thousands of them.

Much more character than pretty much anything out there.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed!!!!!

Makes you wonder why anyone would buy a new bike for $30,000 (provided it isn't your only bike), when you could buy an RC30. 5 years later the new one is worth less then half and the RC30 up by 50%.

I know thousands of them were produced, so they really are not rare. But unlike the other homogolations of that period with significantly less produced, they look unique to that model. (Ie. ZX7R looks similar to the ZX7, 0W01 looks like the FZR750, GSXR-R looks similar to the GSXR)

Maybe the most recognizable sport bike of all time. With the 916 in second. (Debatable for sure)

Cheers

·
Registered
523 Posts
Agreed!!!!!

Makes you wonder why anyone would buy a new bike for $30,000 (provided it isn't your only bike), when you could buy an RC30. 5 years later the new one is worth less then half and the RC30 up by 50%.

I know thousands of them were produced, so they really are not rare. But unlike the other homogolations of that period with significantly less produced, they look unique to that model. (Ie. ZX7R looks similar to the ZX7, 0W01 looks like the FZR750, GSXR-R looks similar to the GSXR)

Maybe the most recognizable sport bike of all time. With the 916 in second. (Debatable for sure)

Cheers

Around 3000 RC30s were produced, but most had a hard life so I doubt even half of these remain. I've seen only one other 'in the metal' during the eight years I've owned mine (..and this one was trailered to a classic show I attended on my MV). I think most knowledgeable enthusiasts know the difference between the pseudo 'limited editions' produced these days simply as a marketing exercise, and the real deal. The RC was - and is - the real deal, and because of it prices will continue to soar. A decade from now good RC30s will command stratospheric prices. You've bought yours at just the right time!

I've not ridden a Duc 916, but I've ridden the RC30 many times 'back to back' with its erstwhile stable-mate, the Duc SP4. To say the RC is the better bike is to understate the truth: it simply knocks the Duc into a cocked hat in all respects - and this is despite the ££££ I spent attempting to 'improve' the 888 in order to have it compete. On anything other than smooth, bump-free surfaces, it would be left in the Honda's wake.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Sorry but I have to disagree with the rose coloured glasses crowd. Oh, don’t get me wrong I loved my 1990 US spec RC30 but, it wasn’t the be all, end all of super bikes right out of the box.
First off, with less than 2300 miles it spun two main bearings. In researching the problem I found five other bikes which suffered the same fate including the one seen on the cover of Motorcyclist Magazine. The stock suspension, especially the rear was woefully lacking. The back end would squat under hard acceleration which in turn slowed the steering. The stock rotors warped, changing the front plugs was a nightmare. The air pollution controls and that stupid dent in the stock exhaust robbed horsepower not to mention that 18 inch wheels (and therefore sticky tires) were on the way out.
On the street I was always third behind my buddies, one riding a OW01 and the other a ZXR750.
The biggest problem these days is the lack of spares especially the upper block.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Hi Stephen.
I've never ridden an RC30 and obviously never owned one.
However, I did have a set of those Dainese leathers you're wearing, the one piece version.

Ah, memories.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Hi Stephen.
I've never ridden an RC30 and obviously never owned one.
However, I did have a set of those Dainese leathers you're wearing, the one piece version.

Ah, memories.
Power Rangers....:stickpoke

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Sad but true. :)
And no taste in fashion to this very day.

You're a Honda man Randy.
Your thoughts on the RC30?
Beyond the fact that I think it looks extremely cool, it's waaaay more bike than I am rider.

I've been mystified by Honda for decades. They do magnificent bikes like the CB750, the CBX, the Rune, the NR oval piston thingie, the Goldwing and others illustrating their capacity to excel at engineering......then they follow with pedestrian bikes that show no ingenuity at all.

I've often felt that the bean counters control the company and once in a great while, the engineers slip in a great bike. The RC30 would fit in that definition in my book .

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Thanks Randy. Very insightful.

I recall seeing a few RC30s back in the late 1980s.
One in particular shared the fate of many of these exotic V4s. If I recall correctly the new owner took delivery and then took it to a track day. Then crashed it heavily at a fast corner of the local track, Manfield.
The others I saw were at World Superbike races that were held at the same track - I think n 1988 & 1999. The final rounds of the first two World Superbike Series were in New Zealand held at our local track and I was lucky enough to be a flag marshall at both events.
Another was at the Barber Museum back in 2010.

Again: Ah, memories.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sorry but I have to disagree with the rose coloured glasses crowd. Oh, don’t get me wrong I loved my 1990 US spec RC30 but, it wasn’t the be all, end all of super bikes right out of the box.
First off, with less than 2300 miles it spun two main bearings. In researching the problem I found five other bikes which suffered the same fate including the one seen on the cover of Motorcyclist Magazine. The stock suspension, especially the rear was woefully lacking. The back end would squat under hard acceleration which in turn slowed the steering. The stock rotors warped, changing the front plugs was a nightmare. The air pollution controls and that stupid dent in the stock exhaust robbed horsepower not to mention that 18 inch wheels (and therefore sticky tires) were on the way out.
On the street I was always third behind my buddies, one riding a OW01 and the other a ZXR750.
The biggest problem these days is the lack of spares especially the upper block.
Hi Stephen. Sorry to read of your RC30 woes. Having followed the saga of your F3, you seem to have had more than your share of bad luck with bikes! However, we can each only speak as we find, and I've found my '30 to be the proverbial paragon of virtue; it's been utterly faultless. However, I'm not here to champion the bike; history makes a better case for it than I ever could.

Anyone with a serious view to buying one would be wise to purchase a copy of Performance Portfolio, by Brooklands Books, in which it is matched many times against Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Bimota and Ducati opposition of the day (..these ranging from 750 - 1100cc). The testers find, as have I, that it's in a class above them all.

Steve

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Its true straight out of the box they were not that fantastic. Most folk however did realise that the RC 30 was built specifically for the purpose of racing and what you got when you purchased a 'newun' was the basic (very good) package.

Cast iron rotors, 17" wheels and a good shock on the back were most important, valves stretched and you had to keep on top of that, you also need an HRC carb kit and then have the bike properly set up with a decent pipe.

It has been claimed by many that the RC30 was possibly the very best bike ever on the TT course, and as has already been stated, history makes a better case for it than I ever could...............a real weapon around here.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
"Quote Malcolm Campbell
The Island Classic 2015 Hey Scott and myself are well prepared and at the island our garage done and we are ready to go. That's 26 years since Robbie Phillis and my self competed in the first event on the revamped track the only other one that I can think of is may be Scott Webster. Hey look out a lot of two headed Tasmanians competing this week end and may be one of them can bring home the Phil Erving trophy again"

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts