MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i have had my 3 year old F4 (EVO3) for a month now, its covered 8.5k on the clock and behaves impeccably, except for a rattle at tickover and i wondered if anyone had heard or know of a similar problem. It seems to come from the clutch area, if you put your hand and press on the large MV engine casing it gets quieter (may just be vibration is damped), pulling the clutch lever makes no different and when you 'blip' the throttle it goes away. I looked at my workshop CD and can see a roller bearing (similar to a small end bearing) which runs within the clutch assembly and wondered if it was that. I have covered about 100 miles since owning and the rattle has not changed. Before i take it apart i thought i would enquire. Oh and also my rubber cush drives in the sprocket have all but disintegrated, only 2 of the five rubbers remain...i will be fitting new ones this weekend. i wondered if the transmission has taken a hammering because of this. Sorry to be a long thread (my first) hope someone has experience of this....cheers Chris

·
Registered
301 Posts
Welcome EVO CHRIS..... don't know the answer to you question though... if it changes when you press on the cover, have you checked that cover is correctly torqued / bolted down???

:drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer:

Doc

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes had a quick check, if it wasnt the oil would seep out so was not too concerned about that, another theory i have as seen in the FAQ section is the timing chain tensioner could be fully extended hence causing rattles deep inside but echoing through the casings, it looks like an easy fix as i only need to take it out and reset, which i may do first. I will keep you posted, but if anyone has any ideas in the meantime as this is a weekend job, kids permitting of course! I would be most appreciative.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Can you get to another owner's house to compare side by side? These aren't silent engines by any means :laughing:

There is nothing I can think of internally that would change by pressing on the clutch cover as nothing is in contact. There IS however a small rubber 'spacer' or cushion attached to a lower bolt of the clutch cover that keeps the fairing off hard parts there. Is the noise the same with the fairings removed?

Disintigrated cush drive is a serious concern and you're right to look for other affects but I'd look simple first?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
JamesC said:
Can you get to another owner's house to compare side by side? These aren't silent engines by any means :laughing:

There is nothing I can think of internally that would change by pressing on the clutch cover as nothing is in contact. There IS however a small rubber 'spacer' or cushion attached to a lower bolt of the clutch cover that keeps the fairing off hard parts there. Is the noise the same with the fairings removed?

Disintigrated cush drive is a serious concern and you're right to look for other affects but I'd look simple first?
James, do you not think its just the alternator rattle that they all have? Chris, try waiting for it to rattle then switch everything electrical on, hold the main beam flasher/brake lights/ indicators etc, it should go quieter, you may also find it goes quieter when the cooling fans cut in and the alternator "loads" up.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Chris ,
916 cush rubbers will fit .
I got a set from AJ performance?,around £50 if I remember.
3X will charge £25 per rubber or around . :cussing:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Guys thanks for the reply, i have tried varoius stuff, tried to elimate the obvious things such as the alternator, just makes a nice wizing sound which gets louder under load (sounds great) as i suggested the noise disappears above 2000 rpm, but with no load on tickover its there, sounds like clutch chatter with a ball bearing running round, i think i have convinced myself that its the timing chain tensioner, it seems to make sense. i will remove tonight to see if it improves seems a simple enough job. Otherwise i will delve into the clutch hammer first :bash: (joke)
As for the cush drives i was lucky enough to have a warranty on the bike when i bought it and the bike shop has supplied them :) (warranty out now), i would like to know the ducati that they come from and a part number if possible, that would be great future help. The MV part is 800078224 if anyone would like to know and yes they are £30 each, thats £150 for all five :eek: . I have replaced them now, the originals were shot and fell apart! May have damaged a bearing somewhere causing this rattle. I will investigate this weekend and get back to you monday, with or without a smile :grin:
Thanks again for your input guys
regards
Chris :cry:
I dont know anyone with an MV except lonely me, i may try to get to the local dealer and let them have a listen if i get nowhere, oh and the bank manager on the way back!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all, well this weekend I took the F4 apart, and put it back together again, with no joy, well i say that, i actually found the bearing in the clutch end plate to be shot, it was loose and notchy, £4 from my local bike shop managed to replace it, its an SKF 6001 bearing off the shelf availablility, so i thought i had cracked it, but no, rattle still there. :cry: :drummer:
Has anyone had the MV clutch apart, i noticed that the 2 mating parts (inner hub and outer hub) cast teeth are a very sloppy fit together, there is no wear so i presume this is what is making the noise :drummer: . I also took out the timing chain tensioner and reset, relatively easy but made no difference. I will ride down to the nearest MV dealer and let them listen :argue: , any ideas welcome.
cheers :blush:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts