MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the bike booked in at my local MV dealer on Monday to have a look at a few issues (maybe related) I currently have. Thought I'd see what those that know on this forum make of it.

I currently get a metallic sounding rattle between 5500 and 6500rpm. I initially thought this went away when the engine reached above 80 degrees Celsius but I was mistaken after subsequent tests. I've checked for broken exhaust springs and found one where on ewas missing and another that was broken. I've removed the broken one that was dangling but it wasn't the source of the vibration. Anyone know whether the absence of these springs would result in a metallic rattle?

The other issue I've noticed is that after a ride I have several small drops of oil on the left side small plastic fairing inbetween the fuel tank and the side panels (don't know the technical term). Having a closer look in the small gap in front of the panel (ie towards the front of the bike) in question I can see the top of the engine internals. There seems to be a valve? shaped component in metal with a 3/4 inch black rubber? rim around the top. When touched my finger came away greasy with oil.

Anyone have any ideas on some guidance I can give to the workshop? I'm not mechanically minded so please excuse the poor attempts at explaining what I've seen.

Al

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I sense a couple of new submissions to Spaldings preventative thread :)

-Noise sounds normal to me but good to have the shop verify. Hard to tell unless you can get us a good recording. This is an engine that lives and not a recluse when it speaks

-Greasy oil anywhere up by the tank/airbox/throttlebodies/cam cover is air filter oil

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm assuming then that finding the odd drop of air filter oil on the fairings is nothing to worry about then?

I'll let you know whether the workshop can hear anything, but I've had a mate ride her and he has also noted a metallic rattle between 5500 and 6500 rpm. I agree that the engines a caged beast (she gives the odd backfire on the overrun but I've been told this is normal and won't harm the engine) but the rattles only something I've noticed in the last month or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts