MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, need to vent as I had some challenging months with VW and their shitty service and new engines.

Started of 6 months ago, car just out of warranty and that b.... was using water, only If I do the good old Autobahn. Response from VW dealers was, expect a bill of 2500 for a start, but I would be better of buying a new car anyways.

Private work shop recommended a new water pump and it seems to work for a couple of months.

2 months back it started again, pretty much same story from VW except the price was now a good 8k. Different work shop was around 5k.

Did some reading and suspected the AGR cooler and valve....

Week later, engine 1/2 out as I decided to do it myself even if everyone told me you cant do it....

Well, it was rough as I am not really equipped doing cars and without any manuals or data, I was going crazy.

Another hold up was getting parts, car is to new so dealers didnt help me at all.

Spoken to some engine dudes, its a known issue due to that Euro 6 bullshit the engine exhaust system causes the engines to overheat if used hard. So that stuff is not made for our Autobahns and high speed commuting....how great is that?

I managed to keep the costs for parts under 2k. Needed a new head, AGE cooler, water pump.

Attached some pics, so if you decide to commute 180km/h plus....dont buy a 2ltr TDI from the VW group.

Cheers

Mjv

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: esq'z me

·
Old Wing Nut
22,695 Posts
cracked head !!!! wow. That sucks.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Wow that's horrible. Semi trucks have the same sort of issues with their diesel exhaust fluid systems and EGR. (That's why I purchased my truck that was the last year before they implemented all that garbage) The EGR coolers clog, crack and throw random codes. The DPF system will cause de-rates, clogged filters, excessive heat build up in your turbo and exhaust filters, more fuel burned (7th injector)

All for cleaner air right? Haha no one knows how to make an efficient system that doesn't cause all kinds of running issues. But were saving the planet! That's because you can't drive it LOL doesn't pollute if it's sitting in the garage for weeks on end....

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, its a known issue not only for VW owners. Diesel engines have a higher chance of getting damaged due to the higher exhaust temperatures. The OEM AGR,s or EGR coolers are the bottleneck together with the EGR valves. If you run those engines normal, the valve will clock up 1st, after the cooler will clock and there you go... The excessive costs are due to access and if you have a newer model you will have to buy OEM parts, which is expensive.

The head was just a "bonus" in my case. :mad: the crack was almost not visible as I had very little carbon build up, there was no sign on the head-gasket and only after I decided to use a brass brush the crack became visible.

cheers

Reactions: Figifister

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Yeah I have an 08 BRM TDI with the DSG and I'm acutely aware of Volkswagens turbo diesel issues, camshaft wearing prematurely, buckets look like dinner plates VNT actuator issues, excessive carbon buildup on EGR valve..... It's fun when it works and gets excellent fuel mileage.

Again sorry to hear about all your bad luck man. We can't get new turbo diesels here from the VW Audi group because of the whole diesel gate issue... Maybe that's a good thing

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
759 Posts
Man that is just ugly. Worst car I ever owned was a 1977 VW Scirocco. Everything broke on that car. Even my 1971 Vega GT was more reliable. Maybe my BMW 330i was worse than the VW?

Never buying a German car again. Ever.

Just had my 2015 Corvette serviced. The car is just a gem: reliable, great to drive and beautiful.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, it all depends how you use your car. I just dislike being told to buy new based on a design mistake (my opinion). I had plenty of cars as I did up to 80.000km per year during the 80/90's and now down to 40....I still prefer a German car over most cars ;) had French, Japanese and Korean cars as company cars...and well, wouldnt mind a Supra again but the rest doesnt fit my taste nor do I like the looks or performance I have seen......; Looking at the fuel price and taxes for all sorts of bullshit it does not make economical sense to owe a big US V8 again.

cheers

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Blacky

well, actually the older Supra as I never had a chance to drive that Beamer Supra ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts