MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
To gamble with the fuel reserve.
My B800 ran out of fuel after 41 km on reserve.
Had to push the baby few hundred meters (stopped just when petrol station came into sight) and was very happy that it's not a 300kg harley.

After that, (and after refuelling) the bike works and sounds normal, but could have potentially something gone wrong when that happened ?

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Had to push the baby few hundred meters (stopped just when petrol station came into sight) and was very happy that it's not a 300kg harley.

After that, (and after refueling) the bike works and sounds normal, but could have potentially something gone wrong when that happened ?
couldn't hurt anything, the bike died when the pump couldn't pickup any more fuel.....so the lines were still full

MV was smart enough to put a check valve in the FPR so it wouldn't back drain and let air in

:popcorn:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

After that, (and after refuelling) the bike works and sounds normal, but could have potentially something gone wrong when that happened ?
Just 41 km on 4l reserve....
Damn :jsm:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just trying to get to the next fuel station as fast as possible, before it ran out? :tongue:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's 41 km on 5 l of reserve. very poor mileage, but it was a city drive, 1st and 2nd gear 60-70% of time and 3rd gear 30-40% or sometimes even less than that.
Then again, if I was aiming to save on fuel, I would not get an MV. :)

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
I've done lots of stupid things in my life, but, generally, I try to keep quiet about it........:naughty:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Mvs are not fuel misers for sure.
I have gone 35 k with reserve light on, shut off with my house in sight.
was my first all day ride on the F4. Made it 45k on the highway during week road trip last yesr, did not run out but it was on fumes when I filled up.
Time to remove the evap canister!

Randy, +++

Ed :)

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Wont break the bike to run out but try not running low often, the fuel serves as a cooling agent (I know it sounds wierd) and the electric pump wears faster as it warms. Could shorten the life.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Just for curiosity, how far did you go before the fuel light came on?

I've found on carb'd bikes that running them empty, or to where you flip to reserve on those equipped, tends to run them lean for a time before they run out, which isn't ideal. Modern bikes should cut off before this is an issue.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I try to avoid running it on vapour as the crap on the bottom of the fuel tank tends to be sucked up into the fuel filter. Don't want to clog up the filter unnecessarily.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts