MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've just gone out for my 3rd ride of the year. Got about 30 miles in and noticed some fluid on the screen. Pull over, WIP the side panel off and find the corner of the radiator leaking.

This bike is determined to make me change everything on it.

Question: Is there anyone that does a patent one? I don't really want to pay out for an OEM from StarTwin. Or does anyone have one for sale? Is there a sneaky quick fix to see me through the day? (Wishful thinking I know).

Any help greatly appreciated as always 馃檪

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh well, it went from a tiny leak to pulling up at my house and dropping it's water.

I'm going to take it off and see if it can be repaired.

Attachments

Old Wing Nut
It can be repaired..... any good radiator shop should be capable. You need to get one of @gotojoe 's brackets !!!

Reactions: Fatpastyhead

Registered
Why? Is this a common fault? This is a first for me, never had a leaky radiator before.

yeah,been there, done that.馃檲

I had my radiator repaired and pressure tested, which it passed. Fitted it to the bike and it started leaking again. Got a second hand F4RR one of the bay, but, sadly, it鈥檚 the only used one I鈥檝e ever seen since.

I believe the mounting is slightly different from the 2013 bikes onwards, which the RR one was.

I was going to go to these guys, they reckon they can re core any bike rad, which has got to be better than plugging the whole?

I feel your pain鈥︹.

fred

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Gonna pull it of this week and hopefully get It repaired. Annoying AF as I've not had much time to ride but it is what it is.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And I'm thinking of putting some red samco hoses on when i do it. Is it worth it?

Kinda getting fed up of spending money on this bike, probably a unpopular opinion on this board, but if I can do anything to prevent further issues, I'll do It.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The leaky rad prompted me to do exactly that, I also added the jetprime water pump. The bike was an absolute pussycat in town on hot days after that. Highly recommended 馃憤

fred
That's a nice touch. You also have the black 2010 model?

Registered
Sadly these leaks are common
I have had 2 on different ocassions
Radiator shop does not want to weld as it is in the horizontal fins
Found a great product here in SA (steevas)
Works like a charm easy to use

Registered
I had one leak on mine. Had it plugged at silverton radiatos a few years back and no issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What did you use?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is something like radweld a bad idea? Something you pour in to seal it? It sounds bad to me. So busy right now I don't know when I'm going to get around to fixing this.

Registered
Personally I wouldn鈥檛 bother with it. Might work, might not but I鈥檇 never trust it.

F3 ain鈥檛 as quick by some margin, but boy, does it handle. Size wise it looks a lot smaller but doesn鈥檛 feel that different to the F4

fred

Old Wing Nut
I fixed a small leak in a Ducati with Bar's "Stop Leak". Worked perfectly. It was supposed to be temporary repair while waiting for new radiator to arrive, but it worked so well the owner put the new one on the shelf when it arrived. Still running that radiator a year later.....with the new one in waiting.

Spoke with the people at Myler's Radiator (the premier repair shop in the USA) and they explained they will use epoxy on leaks in horizontal runs as solder or welding can open up more problems. That was when I decided to repair my pin hole leak in my 910R radiator myself. JB Weld makes a product for just that purpose.
My repair was many years and miles ago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts