MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on my way to work this morning, and I was going around 90-95MPH when I was coming up on an e430, lowered, with rims at about 8am this morning.

Didn't think anything of it other than "hmm...nice car". I start creeping up and pass him as he's going 80-90mph. I look to my side and I just see him start pulling, watching him walking away. I gas 6th, and he still pulling away!!!! :jsm: I don't start catching back up until around 120ish, and I got up to 147 indicated before I flew by and backed off. I saw he was like 3 car lengths behind me at that point....

We both pull into the mall exit and get stopped at a light. We wave and I go onto work. The guy was like in his late 20s...awesome.

That car surprised the crap outta me. I wasn't expecting a luxury sedan to pull that hard. I bet if I woulda downshifted to 5th, I wouldn't have had to wait so long to start catching but still, it couldn't have been stock with the way it pulled up top....

Just thought I'de share a good start to my day.

·
Registered
822 Posts
the e430's are in the neighborhood of 275hp, they're quick. I love racing cars on my bikes, its such a fun rush, and somehow different from racing another bike. I expect another bike to give me a good run, but when a car does it's impressive and exciting.

·
Registered
796 Posts
in europe the e class is seen as an retirement mercedes.i ve seen quite a few but i ve never seen one go past 100 miles/hour even on freeways.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, there was NOBODY on the road. It was a long stretch of highway, and was infact, going over an overpass, so it I saw benefits of both TQ and top end.

I'm looking back and thinking, I was probably also at like 90 percent throttle (like usual) cause the throttle turn is so far on the Brutale. Even still, it was fairly impressive to see such a large car pull on me for a second. I know if I would have downshifted, I might have also gotten a bit of a better go, as sixth is fairly tall, even though at 90mph, you're sitting at 8-9K RPM...

147 indicated....that's the fastest I've ever been on the Brute. And I had a messenger bag on :jsm:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
What was your rpms when you were in sixth? Maybe you're rpms were too low. I noticed power to weight because less of an issue at higher speeds.

Did a little research and the E430 has 275hp; 295lbs of torue from a 4.3 liter V8 and weights 3,757 pounds.

Maybe this is a good time to ask this question. Does weight become less of a hinderance as speeds get higher? Would a heavier object be able to use it's momentum and power to over come a less power but lighter object?

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Maybe this is a good time to ask this question. Does weight become less of a hinderance as speeds get higher? Would a heavier object be able to use it's momentum and power to over come a less power but lighter object?

No, it is too early in the morning for physics..... :ahhh:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
What was your rpms when you were in sixth? Maybe you're rpms were too low. I noticed power to weight because less of an issue at higher speeds.

Did a little research and the E430 has 275hp; 295lbs of torue from a 4.3 liter V8 and weights 3,757 pounds.

Basically, it takes less hp the lower the rate of acceleration. As your speed becomes higher, wind resistance increases, thereby decreasing the rate of acceleration.
Often, cars will beat bikes in the high end, particularly in top speed, where overall power matters more, and bikes simply don't have enough brute force to overcome the drag.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I always love the wide-eyed surprise of the racer strapped into his seat looking out his driver's-side, peddle to the metal, while I holeshot into 1st one wheel up, then touch down, wind through the gears quick-like, and take a look back over my shoulder after I cross the finish a short 1/4 mile down, waitin for hot shot to come in 2nd. Beat the tar out of a 280 ZX turbo-nitros w/damn near 400 HP! But hey...I ain't one ta brag. :smoking:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Snappo said:
Beat the tar out of a 280 ZX turbo-nitros w/damn near 400 HP! But hey...I ain't one ta brag. :smoking:
ah......
cool...
but, there's no need to brag when your bike has more than 1/3rd of the power but 1/5th of the weight

if you DIDN'T win..... now THAT would be a problem :)

your bike ought to run mid 10's in the standing quarter mile.... if you can keep the front wheel anywhere near the pavement..... while that car would need almost 600 HP to give the same result

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was deifnitly fun and I would love to do it again. I'm weondering if he was stock. Anybody know how a car with those specs would/should keep up when moving at that speed? I'm guessing he topped out and that's why I walked past him, or reached the point where the acceleration just crawls. Eitherway, it was fun as hell.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
oicdn said:
It was deifnitly fun and I would love to do it again. I'm weondering if he was stock. Anybody know how a car with those specs would/should keep up when moving at that speed? I'm guessing he topped out and that's why I walked past him, or reached the point where the acceleration just crawls. Eitherway, it was fun as hell.
In the US, i believe he's electronically limited to around 150, but it probably wouldn't do much more anyway.

I had an interesting encounter a couple months ago. I was riding home about 9PM on a freeway connecter, when a car pulled on from a clover ramp coming from the airport, at a very high rate. I was doing about 80 and he was pulling up right next to me, needless to say, I was impressed (it's a very tight ramp, we're talking handling, not just speed). I got closer, and it was a new GTO.
Well, the guy sees me and guns it. We only hit about 100, but we hold it there. I pulled in front of him into an exit-only lane, which becomes a wicked 270 clover, with a 1/4 mile long transition to the I-10. Just before hitting the turn, we're suprised when an F430 flies past us, and nails the corner!
All 3 of us rail the turn, me in the middle, the Ferrari leading, and the GTO on my butt. We take the turn at around 75 (it's VERY tight), and the Ferrari nails it, and I'm sure he was expecting to leave me, but I stayed on his bumper. We would have exceeded 140, but there was a car at the end of the ramp, so we had to jam on the brakes, and wait to merge, and then we were off again.
My exit was immediately after, and I passed to get off, and lo and behold, the F430 chased me through a minor chicane, and at the end of the ramp, we both stopped at the light. I gave him a wave as he went left, and I went right.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
oicdn said:
Just be careful because it's not always fun and games. You never know if the guy has a chip on his shoulder and tries to run you off the road -or worse.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
I can't imagine going that fast on the Brutale being 'fun'. :)

probably stock.... i guess. Engine mods cost a lot on those....it wouldn't have said 430 on the back if they did those. Tons of modded out benz's out here.... nobody starts with a 430 anyway, 500 is where the fun starts. haha.... :)

I drove around in a E320 for a while. Thought the engine response was a bit slow, but once it sorted itself out, it would go! If you've ever cruised the autobahn in germany...you'll see all sorts of cars go faster than you'd think....

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
fazer6 said:
In the US, i believe he's electronically limited to around 150, but it probably wouldn't do much more anyway.

I had an interesting encounter a couple months ago. I was riding home about 9PM on a freeway connecter, when a car pulled on from a clover ramp coming from the airport, at a very high rate. I was doing about 80 and he was pulling up right next to me, needless to say, I was impressed (it's a very tight ramp, we're talking handling, not just speed). I got closer, and it was a new GTO.
Well, the guy sees me and guns it. We only hit about 100, but we hold it there. I pulled in front of him into an exit-only lane, which becomes a wicked 270 clover, with a 1/4 mile long transition to the I-10. Just before hitting the turn, we're suprised when an F430 flies past us, and nails the corner!
All 3 of us rail the turn, me in the middle, the Ferrari leading, and the GTO on my butt. We take the turn at around 75 (it's VERY tight), and the Ferrari nails it, and I'm sure he was expecting to leave me, but I stayed on his bumper. We would have exceeded 140, but there was a car at the end of the ramp, so we had to jam on the brakes, and wait to merge, and then we were off again.
My exit was immediately after, and I passed to get off, and lo and behold, the F430 chased me through a minor chicane, and at the end of the ramp, we both stopped at the light. I gave him a wave as he went left, and I went right.

wow.....
how long did it take your pulse to return to normal after THIS experience?

mine is racing now just reading about it

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^ +1.

That's crazy. I didn't even realize I was going that fast till I looked down and went "Oh shit...147..." and backed off. In a full tuck, it didn't make much difference...was a bit unnerving at the same time though, thinking about going 147, and the car not being that easy of a walk....

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Oicdn......I think it`s time for some track time my brother. Is this the second time I hear you have been racing on the streets in about four months? Time to get it out of your system safely (in a safe environment with people that know what they are doing)because we want you around hear for a long time.Boy it sure is fun to put people in there place, but the price can be very high and we were just talking about life insurance the other day. Chris

PS. Oh yes I`ve done it too.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I need to get a set of leathers...I want to get some more track time, but I need some leathers and boots...actually, just pants and boots.

WIll definitly get some time logged in as soon as this track here gets built:

http://www.firstcoastracing.com/

That'll be down the road from my house...about 20 minutes away...sweet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts