MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was with my buddy today and I decieded to race him from rolling from 1st gear and I am not happy at all.. Should I not beat a 600 or what is the deal?? We were pretty much even up to 150?? I have a 00' 750 with a chip,filter and modded exhaust his is bone stock.. Any input would be helpful thanks

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Its called power to weight ratio. I weigh about 70kg + 215Kg MV (wet) which is 285Kg total

Compare to an average rider 90kg + 190Kg (wet) CBR600RR which is 280Kg.

So there is not much between the two.

The 750 is on the porky side compare to the current crop from Japan Inc.

The 750 must be ridden like a 2stroke to really benefit from any power advantage.

Who cares really about straight line power. Its 90% up to the rider in the twisties.

·
Registered
507 Posts
it might need to be tuned. it may feel like it's running fine but a little tune can be the world of difference.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
bemmin540 said:
So I was with my buddy today and I decieded to race him from rolling from 1st gear and I am not happy at all.. Should I not beat a 600 or what is the deal?? We were pretty much even up to 150?? I have a 00' 750 with a chip,filter and modded exhaust his is bone stock.. Any input would be helpful thanks
7 years difference, find a 2000 CBR.
Also a 43T at the back might help. as when the same power is almost there, is how you bring it to the road. torque/gear diagram tells you more

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
So what are You complaining ? 7 Years difference in development. The CBR 600 RR is nowadays as powerful as your 750. The F4 750 was never a low rpm giant, You had to stay in the high Rpm Range to get full advantage of the possibilities. The only competitior at that time in the same class (750) was in 2000 the Gixxer. And guess what, the Gixxer won most of the comparisions, because the GSX was torquier. But Reving is what the actual 600's need as well. To it is the F4 750 likely even heavier than the CBR. And don't forget the Japanese fight a fierce battle for the fastest Bike in the Supersport Class. Resulting in breathtaking performance raises every Year.

·
Registered
367 Posts
haupti said:
So what are You complaining ? 7 Years difference in development. The CBR 600 RR is nowadays as powerful as your 750. The F4 750 was never a low rpm giant, You had to stay in the high Rpm Range to get full advantage of the possibilities. The only competitior at that time in the same class (750) was in 2000 the Gixxer. And guess what, the Gixxer won most of the comparisions, because the GSX was torquier. But Reving is what the actual 600's need as well. To it is the F4 750 likely even heavier than the CBR. And don't forget the Japanese fight a fierce battle for the fastest Bike in the Supersport Class. Resulting in breathtaking performance raises every Year.
+1

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
bemmin540 said:
Well...you actually chosed to race the one 600 you probably should not...race any other and you may get slightly better results. The new 600RR is more than a beast and currently is *the* 600cc bike in the world. Honda pretty much defined nearly every parameter (weight, torque, midrange etc.) of the 600cc world new.

Having said this...you have to take 7 years of development into account...and this is even 7 years in the supersport world...it is just like with dogs...1 year of supersport is 3 years in regular bike classes... ;)

So...I would not really worry...when you get off the bike, the crowd will be around yours...and you always feel the whiff of exclusivity and isn't that what counts?

·
Registered
259 Posts
spacechumper said:
+2

Every year, a given displacement bike gains another few horsepower in its design. Over 7 years, a "little" 600 could be up as much as 35 horsepower. Today's 600's are as powerful as a turn-of-the-millenium 750. Add to that better stock suspension, and they are better at putting the power down to the ground.

Think about the MV's -- within the 750 line, they've gotten more and more hp out of the motors (think EVO iterations, SPR). Or even in the 1000's. Same block, in most cases, and more and more horsepower.

It's a bit of an ego blow - guys on little 600's have as much bike as some of our 750's!

TC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Go to the Barber Motorsports museum here in Birmingham. The last time I was there I saw 1,000 of the most beautiful bikes in the world. Want to know what was the showpiece as you initially enter on the main level? MV Agusta Brutale sitting center stage getting all the oooh's and aaaah's. Park your MV beside any 600cc in the nearest Wal-Mart or any parking lot and see which bike gets the stares. There's lots of ways to win other than having the fastest steed around.

·
Registered
268 Posts
He only "beat" you after 150mph? Many tracks don't even have room to get up to those kinds of speeds, or not for long. I'm going to guess (correct me if I'm wrong) that you were on the street...in which case technique counts a lot for the initial row through the gears and top speed can be affected radically by a single tooth on the rear sprocket or even what clothes you wear. Or tire pressure and wear, tire profile, bro!

But I'm not making excuses. I wouldn't have expected anything different than a fairly even race up to 150. Look at the 1/4 mile times in magazine performance tables and you'll see a lot of bikes varying by tenths of a second, or a few mph. In the real world, those differences are tiny. They can add up over the course of a long race, but matter little in a brief drag race where other factors can influence tenths-of-a-second differences more.

In brief: +3 with what some others said before.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the follow up guys.. What I was wondering(if you will) is mine running right and is that all I should expect out of it the way it sits?? I just ditched the gsxr 1000 for the mv and I do know there will be a huge diff. between the two, just wanted to know if thats all the faster she is... Thanks Ohh and I need a lil bit more power out of it if ya have any suggestions that would be great..

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
with the first gen bike, you can squeeze a bit with full RG3/filter/PCIII. but still it is the motor with the least power to begin with. just may have to accept that even after all that time and money some 600's may still be able to keep up depending on how good a rider you and they are. if you know how to use your bike you can take advantage of your torque over a 600. any gixxer 750 or liter bike will have you on power too. depends on what kind of rider you want to be.

top speed doesn't matter when the road twists...

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Does anyone know what's involve in upgrading an EVOI engine (2000 model) to a EVOII/III (2002+) or even an SPR model? That would bring you from 124hp to around 137/145hp but I suspect it would be just cheaper to buy a F41000S.

Probably the cheapest thing is to change the gearing and then maybe a Power Commander and then the RG3 exhaust.

Or, if you're lucky enough to find a cheap totaled F41000 and use it as a donorcycle. :) Just throwing some ideas out there.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
+1 on the gearing outside of getting a 1000. why? because getting a nice evo or SPR is going to cost you and with all the litre bikes running around there will still be someone who can outrun you on the straights...if you care about that. gearing will put 600's in your mirrors all day.

·
Registered
762 Posts
bemmin540 said:
First thing you need to do is you need to know how to drive! :toothless Just kiddin, man.

There are a few factors most of which already named, but you should be UP on hp in comparison to his bike, even if you have an earlier version F4 750, and significantly more if you have the latter versions ... so perhaps it may be your weight (too much donuts? :toothless ), the bike's gearing, and perhaps your friend may be a little better at maximizing his bike's power.

If you have eaten too many twinkies, then here is a strategy: invite him to the gas station before your race to make sure he has a full tank of gas, and just PRETEND to load gas... so your tank is still empty. That way, you get to even it up a bit (until you can get that lean GQ look once again... it might take a long time though) ... trust me, I devised this strategy to even-out the weight difference from experience. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I rode a Triumph 675 and my MV quite a bit on the track on the same day, and I'm pretty sure the 675 was faster than the MV everywhere except maybe the very very top end.

The new Honda 600 is faster than shit. You can see the difference in supersport races. It just pulls away. Even in club racing. It's a step ahead.

When the MV 750 came out, all the journalists saying the 600s were faster were totally full of it. But these days, it's actually true. Too much weight, not enough power for our old 750s.

But you still love it right?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts