MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: When I tested my SPR prior to purchase, dealer had RACE GAS in tank, ran great, no problems. :rant:

Now that I have it at home, I've put 92 octane (Premium) in tank, 1st ride and the bike stalled about 8 times when at a stop. :mad:

Idle is steady, but when you blip the throttle, slight lag...should I use a higher octane... or is this a characteristic of MV.

Local gas station sells 100 octane for racers at track, would this be bad for bike. SPR ran faster with race gas.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

·
Registered
774 Posts
In Belgium, dealers recommand to use 95 octane unleaded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK to mix 92 with 100 octane?

Would it be ok to mix with a higher octane, or run it exclusively on 100 octane?

·
Registered
774 Posts
No idea, I can only say that with 95 I've never had any problem

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
JMSPR welcome and 'grats on your SPR :)

If you have pictures and such be sure to create yourself a registry profile!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
JMSPR said:
:mad: When I tested my SPR prior to purchase, dealer had RACE GAS in tank, ran great, no problems. :rant:

Now that I have it at home, I've put 92 octane (Premium) in tank, 1st ride and the bike stalled about 8 times when at a stop. :mad:

Idle is steady, but when you blip the throttle, slight lag...should I use a higher octane... or is this a characteristic of MV.

Local gas station sells 100 octane for racers at track, would this be bad for bike. SPR ran faster with race gas.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Unless threre was motor work done, you shouldn't "need" race gas. What might have happened is that the dealer tuned the bike for the gas that was in it or being used regularly.

Do you know what type of gas was in it?

Do you know if it has a PCIII installed?

It might be as simple as adjusting the CO dial in the management box.

There is some information on tuning in the MV FAQ
http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/12/tuning-2-idle-base-co-and-throttle.html

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I use only 98, but its freely avaliable here, but there is no doubt that certain petrols will not do the MV (or any other high performance 4 stroke) any favours.

Im sure it just needs some fresh fuel and a co adjustment as Gladio has already mentioned.

Probably over the top, but buy your fuel from same distributor and use a high volume station, that way fuel is always fresh. Octane rating falls with age.

Has your bikes motor been modified? exhaust? Is it knocking at all?

Oh, and you can't mix octanes ie 1Lt of 90 + 1Lt of 95 wont ever make 2Lts of 92.5.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's pretty strange.. my SPR has never stalled once. It seems as if they dialed it on based on the higher octane fuel. Why were they running race fuel? Is the bike brand new?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Before you get too ellaborate, just drain the fuel out and replace it. Could be stale or containing water or....??

Not sure if RON is measured same way in the US, but down my way I need RON95 or greater. If not, need to use an Octane Booster. As Graham has said, high octane fuel is available just about everywhere down here these days (a welcome change to just a few years ago) so no big deal.

What octanes are available between your 92 and the Race Gas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts