MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm in New England and I'll be storing my bike for the winter and was wondering what storing my bike with race fuel instead of the ethnol pump gas.

due to having to rebuild the carb on my 2004 crf due to the ethnol this green crap was everywhere and it wouldn't come out easy I had to replace all the Jets and bowl and many other parts that were messed up.

So let's hear it pros / cons I'm all ears

·
Super Moderator
24,102 Posts
Allan, use marine Stabil with ethanol treatment and forgeddaboutit

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey what's up chuck that's sounds good so this will work wonders is there anything else that's done or just put it in and run it for a few mins and store it

·
Super Moderator
24,102 Posts
That's all I do. Fill the tank all the way, drop in an ounce, shake it up a bit, run bike till hot. Stop and store.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's why I was thinking of the race fuel cause it didn't have the ethnol in it but also didn't know if storing it with the race fuel would bother something else from something that's in the race fuel that's why I was asking I don't have any experience with race fuel.

I'm gonna just do what chuck had replied about

·
Registered
819 Posts
Never understood the reason folks wanted to put up a bike for storage with fuel in it???

Is it so hard to siphon out the fuel and run the remaining puddle in the bottom of the tank out through the motor? Just pull out as much as one can then run the bike(can idle) until it sputters and dies out due to no fuel delivery. When one is ready to ride then get fresh fuel in the tank, cycle the fuel pump a few times, then light her up.

Unless one is very familiar with the particular blend of race fuel being used then it is NOT advisable to store in the tank. First off most race fuels will not have much of a shelf life once opened. And more importantly lots of blends can gum up from sitting. There is a reason most race teams will run their bikes dry of fuel come the end of the race weekend. Secondly, race fuel is really expensive and not a good substitute for regular fuel.

If one is determined to store their bike the wrong way then do as someone already suggested and mix in some marine grade Stabil and run it through the injectors before putting up the bike.

And for the love of all that is holy......if you live in a cold climate and the bike is stored in a place that will see extreme cold and/or wild temp changes.......then just pull out the battery and bring it inside. Its not hard to do and it'll save us from having to field all those......my battery doesn't hold a charge, bikes dies for no apparent reason, bike no starty, weird clicking sound, etc. threads come this spring.

·
Registered
819 Posts
That's all I do. Fill the tank all the way, drop in an ounce, shake it up a bit, run bike till hot. Stop and store.

If one were to put in the stabil before fill up wouldn't that save from having to mix it up? I know you are a consummate professional who would never end up dropping their bike from trying to rock the machine side to side to get it mixed up. However, surely there is one bloke out there, probably new to bikes and maybe not so steady on their feet and familiarity with 2 wheels, who will inevitably try to fill then mix and will end up dumping their pride and joy right on its side......hopefully not with them under it.

For the sake of a lesser man possibly cocking it up may we all suggest applying the stabil first then put in fuel which will mix automatically?

·
Super Moderator
24,102 Posts
That's all well and good,Varium...if you want to carry around a quart of fuel stabilizer while you are riding your crotch rocket. I don't.

Typically, I have 14 gallons of pre-mixed fuel and marine grade stabilizer sitting in my garage for winterization.

Let' see, I live in the North East USA and have for the last 28 years. Temperatures here will lower WAY below freezing for months at a time. I have been using this method of bike storage for over ten years. I store 8 bikes in this manner in an un-heated trailer every winter. The batteries stay in the bikes on Battery Tender Plus smart chargers.

I have never had a problem come springtime starting any of these bikes. The fuel systems are all clean and clear and the only battery failure I ever had was a P.O.S. Koyo in a 2010 Brutale. Even my track-only Ducati 748S, which stayed stored with stabilized fuel in it for OVER A YEAR fired right up.

Acerbis Plastic tanks I will probably drain this winter as an experiment. Metal tanks...full as possible and stabilized. Keeping metal tanks full prevents rust.

FWIW, the tsabil does not have to be shaken once added to the fuel. give it ten minutes to disperse through the tank and run.

Do what you will.

·
Super Moderator
24,102 Posts
Carburetors also pose a more difficult problem that fuel injected bikes do not have ... a bowl in which fuel sits. That is the curse of older bikes. That bowl must be drained, or the fuel within stabilized. This requires a bit longer running time.

·
Registered
819 Posts
That's all well and good,Varium...if you want to carry around a quart of fuel stabilizer while you are riding your crotch rocket. I don't.

Typically, I have 14 gallons of pre-mixed fuel and marine grade stabilizer sitting in my garage for winterization.

Let' see, I live in the North East USA and have for the last 28 years. Temperatures here will lower WAY below freezing for months at a time. I have been using this method of bike storage for over ten years. I store 8 bikes in this manner in an un-heated trailer every winter. The batteries stay in the bikes on Battery Tender Plus smart chargers.

I have never had a problem come springtime starting any of these bikes. The fuel systems are all clean and clear and the only battery failure I ever had was a P.O.S. Koyo in a 2010 Brutale. Even my track-only Ducati 748S, which stayed stored with stabilized fuel in it for OVER A YEAR fired right up.

Acerbis Plastic tanks I will probably drain this winter as an experiment. Metal tanks...full as possible and stabilized. Keeping metal tanks full prevents rust.

FWIW, the tsabil does not have to be shaken once added to the fuel. give it ten minutes to disperse through the tank and run.

Do what you will.

Wasn't questioning your specific methods as if it didn't work for you. Simply suggestion maybe the less experienced, which seems to be a lot on this site, might care to proceed with a more basic method of storage. One can't deny that come spring there are lots of battery and no start threads.

·
Super Moderator
24,102 Posts
Someone, who live three miles from me, asks how to store a bike in this climate and I answer as to how I store my bikes. Seams pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Came across pretty straight forward to me and considering how much parts are for these bikes and how much I payed for the bike itself and this being the first winter I've owned the bike and stored it I think this thread served it's purpose

Thanks chuck

·
Super Moderator
24,102 Posts
NO worries Allan. Sometimes I get cranky. Especially when I have to put bikes up early....like this year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Make sure you check the race fuel you are planning on putting in. I only ever use VP 4.4 and MR12 and you absolutely do not want to leave that sitting in the tank. I drain it before I even leave the track. That stuff is murder on the injectors and lines.

I usually just find some non-ethanol fuel and store bikes with that and some stabil. Non-ethanol pump is only available at a few stations in town here, but a quick google search should let you know what is around you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm gonna just run the pump 93 with the stabil like chuck said

1 - 16 of 16 Posts