MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
My understanding is that the 312 is a "homologation special" for AMA Superbike racing. I can confirm availability and price: I saw several yesterday at the local dealer, priced at $24,995.

I can't confirm the 150 number though. Since the bike has been homologated for AMA, there will need to be a minimum number made available to the American public. That number used to be 350 (according to a Sport Rider article from 2005), but may have changed.

The AMA homologation requirements don't seem to be published online, and there may be some flexibility, particularly with factory teams. If memory serves, the Harley Davidson VR1000 was homologated even though only sold for the street in Poland. I also remember something about the homologated models being available only to factory teams for Daytona one year, and not available to the public until later.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
lizzardo said:
I can't confirm the 150 number though. Since the bike has been homologated for AMA, there will need to be a minimum number made available to the American public. That number used to be 350 (according to a Sport Rider article from 2005), but may have changed.
I actually read one article in a magazine yesterday where they tested the 312R. They pretty much also said that only 150 will be imported.

But...I have not asked to CC about it... ;)

·
Registered
689 Posts
ASM said:
I actually read one article in a magazine yesterday where they tested the 312R. They pretty much also said that only 150 will be imported.

But...I have not asked to CC about it... ;)
When I wanted to race my F4 in AMA in 2002, I tried to get the homologation rules from the AMA. I never got them, and the person I spoke to on the phone was rather vague about the details. I got the impression that there was some wiggle room in the process, but the important points were:

1) Only the importer or manufacturer can apply for homologation.
2) Part of the process involved providing a bike for disassembly and measurement, to be kept as a standard for comparison in the event of protests.
3) Another part of the process was paying the AMA for step 2 above.

Since I wasn't going to be winning any races, #1 wasn't going to happen just for me, so I dropped the idea.

The number 350 is from an article on sportrider.com that came up on a google search for "AMA homologation."

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
only 150 of them in the US that is the new AMA rule which has been out for a few years now. also i heard only around 400+ are being made world wide as of now just for the fact that it is an 2008 model and it is out super early so they can race it. it is an evolution of the 1000R so i would imagine by the time 2008 actually gets here the 1000r might not be around any longer and more productions of the bike will be seen. but they are NOT a limited edition maybe in 2008 the ones of now will be a limited # but should not be considered a limited edition if that made sense. but man the bike is amazing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What I heard, through a circuitous route from Cagiva USA, is that only 150 will be imported this year, specifically to meet the homologation rules (whatever the hell they are).

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
d-_-b Tamburini d-_-b said:
Trust me, it's very nice. I'll have some pics for you on thursday :naughty:
It was certainly nice at Hockenheim.

I had fun. Some people had too much fun thogh, as three of the six that Speer made available for testing rides got crashed. I didn't see crashed bikes, but Peter said one was "bent pretty good."

I haven't decided on my favorite 312 color scheme yet. It's a tough call.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts