·
Super Moderator
21,415 Posts

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #644
Too much work:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I did get started on the carbon brackets yesterday. Most came out nice. I have a couple I am going to try a different process on. Will need to trim up the rough edges and make them look nice. Having fun doing them. I like keeping my mind busy by figuring out how to create things.

·
Administrator
18,827 Posts
Just remember that Ti is much heavier than aluminum....

You could probably save a bunch of weight replacing all of that non-critical Ti with aluminum....>:):wink2:
Yamaha dealer technicians gathered boxes full of aluminum fasteners when doing the R1 transmission recall a couple of years ago.
Every aluminum fastener on the bike is a one-time use part. They sure looked reusable to my naked eye!!!
They "float" in your hand, they are so light.

Go chat up the local Yamaha "A' tech....he may have a bunch stashed away somewhere. Mostly 6mm hex head crankcase cover bolts in varying lengths.

·
King of Bling
9,808 Posts
Yamaha dealer technicians gathered boxes full of aluminum fasteners when doing the R1 transmission recall a couple of years ago.
Every aluminum fastener on the bike is a one-time use part. They sure looked reusable to my naked eye!!!
They "float" in your hand, they are so light.

Go chat up the local Yamaha "A' tech....he may have a bunch stashed away somewhere. Mostly 6mm hex head crankcase cover bolts in varying lengths.
Great Tip ED !!!.. You can guess where I'm going to visit next Monday..

Cheers
J

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #647
Here are a few of the carbon parts I have been playing with. Might redue a couple of the parts. The others turned out fine. Have a few more parts in the molds tonight. Will see what they look like tomorrow. Just with these it is about a 1/4 lb savings.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,415 Posts
Name those parts!

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #650
Here is another one. 51 grams vs now 11 grams. Works great but I might still make another one to improve on the looks of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #651
Took time off playing with carbon today. I switched out the front brake and clutch banjo bolts to Ti. Thinking I might do the one into two configuration for the brake lines instead of the two separate that I currently have. Should of done this before I ordered the ti banjo bolt. Also removed my rear brake line. It is toast and I need to replace it. Just so you know. The stock cushdrives come in at 271 grams without the nuts. Mine are in Ti so I did not weigh them in the total weight. I have a new set coming from AEM with Ti bolts and a total weight of 250 grams with the nuts included. Not much savings but since I have the bike apart, they were on a black Friday sale, and my stock ones had 20,000 miles on them. I figured I might as well switch them out. I know you are amazed I still had a stock item on Mona.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
Here is another item I have been working on. Comes in at 1/2 the weight of the original one.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Your parts look good. You use the full vacuum and resin?

Did you change the stock fairings to pure carbon?

We should let P3 composites to carbon tanks for us. :)

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #654
Your parts look good. You use the full vacuum and resin?

Used a mold to make this one. Clamped it together and let it cure for the night.

Did you change the stock fairings to pure carbon?

Yes all the body panels and even the tank is carbon.

We should let P3 composites to carbon tanks for us. :)
I have everything carbon that in production. I have had to resort to custom and one offs to get anything else in carbon.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You’re an inspiration.

I’ve always wanted to drive through the states. If I do it with my RC I’ll let you test drive it and maybe you can show how to do the carbon parts. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,415 Posts
You might be surprised at how much play there is in those AEM Cush Drives...I know I was when I did my Monster Build. Let me know what you think. (Belated post - I forgot to hit post)

·
Super Moderator
21,415 Posts
@NicholasF4: If you are coming this way in late September/early October keep an eye out for the Gapalicious Event thread.....

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #658
You might be surprised at how much play there is in those AEM Cush Drives...I know I was when I did my Monster Build. Let me know what you think. (Belated post - I forgot to hit post)
Will see. I do have the AEM carrier. That could make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
21,415 Posts
641 - 660 of 790 Posts