MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just another "is this bike as good as it's supposed to be" ask. I currently own an '06/7 Tuono. Absolutely the best bike I've owned. My riding is hard, twisties, some track days, some longer days touring but always thru interesting roads. I want to keep the Tuono (at least in the 'family'), but am being lured across to MV with the R brutale. I know they're different for all the obvious reasons, what I'm interested in is how MUCH better the R will be to the Tuono in the tight stuff. I've got the tuono well dialed in and there's not much that can keep up with me, so the MV's got to have the goods on the road as well as the track. I'm not buying it just for it's looks and all that mouthwatering finish, or the fact that it's probably the closest thing to an object of fine art as you can get with a motor vehicle, I need it to have the goods too.

Hope this doesn't sound too lame a post. I'm not asking to be talked into it. I've managed to oragainse a test ride, but I'm not thinking they'll take me too far so it's going to be hard to get a reaaly good feel for it, so you're thoughts would be much appreciated, especially from anyone that owns or has ridden an 06/7 Tuono. Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not exactly the same comparison, but I have an '03 Tuono Factory and an '04 750S Brutale. The Tuono has a dual Akra exhaust and chip, a Sargent seat and a “touring” windshield. The Brutale has a mini fairing from eMoto, a midpipe and a set of BST Carbon wheels (best mod I ever did to a motorcycle). The Tuono is simply the BEST motorcycle I have ever owned! The thing I like best about it is it not only handles great, runs great, feels great, etc., it is amazingly versital. Want to go for a three or four day 2000 mile ride? Toss the tail sack on and go. Is the seat perfect, no, but when you get back, you will be thinking about what a great time you had, not how beat up you are.

The Brutale is also a blast to ride, but VERY different. The ergos are much poorer, and to really enjoy it, you have to wring the sh!t out of it! After a hard ride, I am really tired and beat (even though it was a blast). The Tuono is easy to go fast on, the Brutale requires every bit of concentration I have. I go about as fast on both on the street and haven’t had either on the track.

The build quality is a bit better on the Tuono, but not by much. That said, neither is as good as they could be, and, while I’ll get a lot of crap for saying it, the fit and finish on the Jap bikes these days is as good or better than either the Aprilia or the MV.

I don’t really care for the looks of the Tuono. The Brutale is beautiful to look at. The exhaust note of the Tuono “booms” – I really like it. The MV shrieks – it sounds like an F1 car – and I love it - for about an hour. After that it hurts.

If I had to only have one, it would be the Tuono, but the MV has been a lot of fun and gets way more attention when it is standing still. Not sure what a newer Tuono or a 910 would do to the comparo, but my thoughts seem to be in line with most of the mag reviews.

Hope that helps.

Chuck S.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Apebrute,
One other thought. When I got my Tuono, there wasn't a lot of performance upgrades available for it other than exhausts and chips. Now there are quite a few aftermarket bits available. From what I can see, there are very few aftermarket upgrades for the Brutale. You can add carbon fiber covers and cool mirrors all day and they may make you feel good, but you won't go any faster....

Come on guys, 60 some views and no one has a comment....

Chuck S.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Tuono is a great bike. Very similar (but different) to the Brutale.

Park both side by side and take a long look at both. No styling from the Tuono.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
wallaman said:
Come on guys, 60 some views and no one has a comment...Chuck S.
I've ridden both but much less experience than conveyed above.

Seems more of a twin vs inline choice to me :)

Just out of curiosity, I'm curious what sorts of aftermarket bits you mean that are not available for the Brutale that are for the Tuono? I ride with an RSVR factory and a Tuono so watch apriliaforum pretty regularly, I must not have noticed our deficit?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I noticed the Tuono was a bit top heavier...hence the way it was so easy to get the front off the ground. Also it's a twin, it's like they were born to be on one wheel.

I haven't gotten a TON of saddle time on the Tuono, but it's physically bigger. I'm a tall guy, and it was no problem of ergos for me, but I prefer a smaller bike as preference. I'm 6 foot even, with the lanky limbs of somebody probably around 6'9"...and I'm not cramped on the Brutale.

As for the comment about concentrating to ride the Brute....I actually think it's one of the EASIEST bikes to ride, not to mention funnest. I can only imagine the R being funner, not more work...
Give her a ride...and you'll probably never look back.

·
Registered
198 Posts
James C.,
Both have exhaust choices, but far more with the Aprilia. Other Tuono bits available include a wide variety of chips, air box kits, larger throttle bodies, cams and almost reasonably priced big bore kits. As best I can tell, for the 910 as well as the 750, there are very few chips available and little more beyond that. If you don’t plan on modifying your bike, no issue. Just something to be aware of.

Nate,
The Tuono lives with its front wheel in the air more because of its power and torque characteristics than a significant difference in weight distribution. If you park the two bikes side by side, you will see almost no difference in overall length (and wheelbase), and the seat, gas tank and handlebars are actually higher on the Brutale (handlebar and tank by a couple of inches). To get the most out of either bike requires a lot of concentration, but my 750 requires a lot more shifting and attention to RPM to go fast than the Aprilia does (this may not be true on the 910). As an ex-pro roadracer (many years ago), I enjoy making the Brutale go fast, but I am tired when I am done. My issues with the ergos have more to do with the crappy seat which pushes you forward into the tank and the high rpm buzz in the handlebars (puts my hands to sleep) more than anything else. The throttle is extremely sensitive on the Brutale and the return spring a little too strong. I also find the levers on the Brutale too short (or just positioned wrong relative to the grips) so when you pull in the clutch, it forces your hand toward the center of the handlebar. These are nit picky items, but they are there and to dismiss them because it’s an MV is disingenuous. I am “comfortable” on both bikes and 6’ tall and lanky.

For the record, I do not mean to slam the Brutale. I really enjoy mine, and, yes, it is very "pretty" and a hell of a lot of fun. But so many of the posts on this forum seem much less than objective about MV relative to any other brand.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Well, the return spring mod relieves the throttle stiffness. I dunno, maybe my MV is different, in that, I don't feel the vibration in the handlebars alot of people seem to have. If anything, my Brutale runs SMOOTHER than most bikes, even if the mirrors tell another tale.

I dunno, when I sat on a Tuono, it felt alot bigger to me. May be it's the sitting position, but it just didn't feel as nimble, or as easy for me to toss it around.

Aesthetics aside, I think the Brutale just fit me so much better, even if it is designed for a shorter person. I can touch flat footed with bent legs, lol.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
wallaman said:
James C.,
Both have exhaust choices, but far more with the Aprilia. Other Tuono bits available include a wide variety of chips, air box kits, larger throttle bodies, cams and almost reasonably priced big bore kits. As best I can tell, for the 910 as well as the 750, there are very few chips available and little more beyond that. If you don’t plan on modifying your bike, no issue. Just something to be aware of.

The organized aftermarket dealers are less plentiful but the offerings are not. It's true though you do have to look and exposure is hard to come by :) Arrow, gianelli, zard, Xop, MV Corse, Motocorse, Roadcraft Japan, Silmotor, Quat and a few other lesser known euro brands make exhausts. Chips are by the same as above plus moto-one, wct, etc. I think most prefer to go custom rapidbike/pcIII than an eprom that just increases 20% trim across the board :laughing: so the suppliers have responded by developing fewer eproms.

Two big bore suppliers but only one is 'reasonable'.

QB once sold an enlarged airbox and air tubes but it was deemed less effective than hoped as far as I know. Raising the tank off the throttle bodies with foam and a tray/filter is a little different than what's required for MV.

I'd have agreed with you if you mentioned mookiedog's ECU project or the dryclutch conversion but those are extremely personal endeavor's and not exactly mass market. As are the superchargers or shower injectors and really I don't see the larger TBs as a common mod? Are they required here? Look at the rail on a 200BHP veltro and compare with the 750s then you tell me :)

It's funny you assume people are less objective when I believe most here have more than one marque in the garage.

·
Registered
756 Posts
wallaman said:
The build quality is a bit better on the Tuono, but not by much. That said, neither is as good as they could be, and, while I’ll get a lot of crap for saying it, the fit and finish on the Jap bikes these days is as good or better than either the Aprilia or the MV.

Your comments are fair - I think the 910 would fare better against the new Tuono. But...I have to disagree with you on the build quality as you anticipated. I don't own a Jap bike but have seen many new ones with the group I ride with. I'm sure they are great machine - but the fit and finish is poor. The value proposition is strong...but, IMO, you get what you pay for. :baddeal:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Build quality on Japanese bikes??

I take plenty apart in my line of business and when you look under the plastic, the cost cutting is very obvious. Welds, seams, nuts and bolts....why do you think they are so cheap?? Mass production equals compromise.

Aprilia is pretty good, but pales somewhat when compared to MV.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Yeah, most all the nuts are hardened steel. Ya know, that yellowed rainbow color steel. Also, stuff isn't ziptied, it's rubber strapped, so you can undo the straps, not cut anything...i.e. they didn't cheap out on us.

Owning an R6 and a Superhawk, as well as helping buddies with thier Yammies, Hondas and GSXRs...you can tell the bike was put together by a well trained monkey, and the parts were made by it's siblings....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Personally I find MV's fit, finish and attention to detail exceedes any other production motorcycle.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Based on my own experience and the experience of those on the board, there are enough problems out there that make me question the build quality. Brutale's that have their headlights fall out for no appearant reason, water pumps that have leaky seals from new, gas tank fittings that break easily, bolts overtorqued at the factory that break when you go to remove them, electrical systems that first have the blinkers blinking irregularly and then not at all, fuses that blow for no appearant reason, bolts that loosen and come through the sprocket cover, rear seats that won't stay fastened...... Not saying that MV's are beautiful machines, but they have their share of issues.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I havent had the oppurtunity to ride or work on a Tuono yet. It was a consideration of mine before buying my Brutale, I must admit. I'm not even going to touch on the "quality issue" of some bikes, but from what I have seen, you usually get what you pay for.
Most of the better mags write great things about the Tuono, so I can only assume it has to be a great bike. I would love to hear your opinion as to how they compare to one another. With all the bikes I've ridden, including the MV F41000S and Duc S4RS (these stand out in my mind,ie: special), the brutale is my favorite. At first It was so so....but once I got it dialed in and got to know it, It's been the most fulfilling two wheel experience I have access to. Just my honest opinion.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
wallaman said:
Based on my own experience and the experience of those on the board, there are enough problems out there that make me question the build quality. Brutale's that have their headlights fall out for no appearant reason, water pumps that have leaky seals from new, gas tank fittings that break easily, bolts overtorqued at the factory that break when you go to remove them, electrical systems that first have the blinkers blinking irregularly and then not at all, fuses that blow for no appearant reason, bolts that loosen and come through the sprocket cover, rear seats that won't stay fastened...... Not saying that MV's are beautiful machines, but they have their share of issues.
Atleast those are all minor. Gas tank fittings are simply from hammer fisting the tank off.

Overtorqued bolts...meh not so much, rather, it's the heat cycling of the metal...I would rather have overtorqued than under torqued.

The electronics...well, that's just Italy.

And the headlight...atleast it's glass. If it were on a jap bike, it'd be some cheap plastic.

How about the R6 2nd gear TRANSMISSION problem? Gsxr 1K frames FAILING? 1000RR lemon clutches? ZX10 lemon wheels?

The Brutale is FAR BETTER OFF than any of those. All of the Brutale issues can be fixed with nickels and dimes....and even if you got a bike with all those issues collectively, you're probably still better off. But with luck like that, you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle, lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wallaman, i also shared your concerns of buying a Brute. I came off of a 97 TL1000s (the most powerful year) and i was concerned about the power of an I-4. I had ridden many japanese 750s and 6s, i was completely disappointed in the low end.......Now mind you i had regeared my TL and had many other mods.
What i'm trying to say is my MV is an absolute blast, i frequently find myself smacking the rev limiter cause it spools up so fast in every gear....
maybe im just lucky but i dont have the buzzing problem or hand numbing......just the useless mirrors.
The only thing that i do find is that this bike does require some concentration cause it does steer so well that you have to pick the correct line.
Im still fairly new to the bike and have in no way begun to learn its potential, due to cold and somewhat wet roads.
What i can say, is that i can pretty much keep up with most of the guys in our riding group already, and i barely know the bike.....
i can only imagine what it will be like when i get the time i need on it.
Sorry if this is just incoherant yammering fellas, i just crawled out of bed for my daily MV Agusta.net fix.......and some coffee
lata
Chris

1 - 20 of 27 Posts