MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So my 2015 TV is on 2800 km(around 1,6k miles), and I'm already having issues with infamous signals almost dead status under bubbles(I'm sure they'll die soon enough), quickshifter malfunction, a small oil leak in engine casing, no more cruise control (very, very rarely functioning).

I've already read almost all of these in these forums before I bought so I'm still not intimidated with these troubles, but just so you know, I understand any pre-2017 TV is experiencing at least some of these issues.

You'd need to choose the right TV visely, since it's true, unless it's the latest earlier TV's suck at some stuff.

I'm hoping to get all these sorted in a month or so from warranty.

·
Registered
769 Posts
hi,

Cruise control only works on the 6th gear. I actually thought mine was malfunctioning until I clearly understood that I have to be in 6th gear for it to work. And in reality, I don't use it much.

For the quickshifter, it maybe the quickshifter itself or the clutch sensor: is your small oil leak on the left side, near the clutch slave cylinder?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Second this.

My malfunctioning clutch sensor disabled quick shifter and caused hydraulic leak on the left side of the engine next to the clutch slave cylinder. Hydraulic leak in that area can be mistaken for an oil leak.

Replacing failed clutch sensor solves A LOT of issues with Turismo Veloce.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi,

Cruise control only works on the 6th gear. I actually thought mine was malfunctioning until I clearly understood that I have to be in 6th gear for it to work. And in reality, I don't use it much.

For the quickshifter, it maybe the quickshifter itself or the clutch sensor: is your small oil leak on the left side, near the clutch slave cylinder?
If it may sound surprising, in the 1st day I bought, cruise control did actually work on all gears above 3rd. And I already remember from other posts that I need to be in 6th, cruise control no longer works in any gears at all(if by any chance by luck, for once it does work. no more).

I know from the Germany Motorrad Endurance test, the first thing they replaced on 2015 TV was the gearshift rod(including the sensor), that's how I kinda forced the dealer to replace it.

And yes, the leak is on the left side the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Second this.

My malfunctioning clutch sensor disabled quick shifter and caused hydraulic leak on the left side of the engine next to the clutch slave cylinder. Hydraulic leak in that area can be mistaken for an oil leak.

Oh that's interesting. So that's why! :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Onuro, if your clutch sensor is leaking hydraulic fluid... be careful! Mine eventually dumped the entire contents of the hydraulic line rendering the clutch inoperable. This can easily leave you stranded on the side of the road.

If your clutch sensor is leaking get it replaced right away.

Dealers are aware of this problem and know what to do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Onuro, if your clutch sensor is leaking hydraulic fluid... be careful! Mine eventually dumped the entire contents of the hydraulic line rendering the clutch inoperable. This can easily leave you stranded on the side of the road.

If your clutch sensor is leaking get it replaced right away.

Dealers are aware of this problem and know what to do.
Wow that's serious. Thanks man. I in fact just fwded this exact message to my dealer. TY!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
If it may sound surprising, in the 1st day I bought, cruise control did actually work on all gears above 3rd. And I already remember from other posts that I need to be in 6th, cruise control no longer works in any gears at all(if by any chance by luck, for once it does work. no more).

I know from the Germany Motorrad Endurance test, the first thing they replaced on 2015 TV was the gearshift rod(including the sensor), that's how I kinda forced the dealer to replace it.

And yes, the leak is on the left side the slave cylinder.
I would root to clutch sensor, and get it replaced, as other said...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
All my indicators failed, the rears filled with water and stopped working entirely. The fronts lost half their compliment of LEDs. Replaced under warranty but the rears filled with water again within a couple of weeks. Drilled 1mm holes in the bottom of the black plastic bodies on each side and they drained. No problems since and after 8000+ miles.

QS sensor failed and, as a result, the cruise control stopped working. Selling dealer procrastinated for ages and then went bust. New dealer replaced the sensor quickly and no issues since.

·
Registered
405 Posts
On the fence whether to buy one; don't like seeing problems on such a new bike. But at least the failures are consistent. (saw similar pattern failures whilst working for Honda.)
Maybe it's part of the Italian ownership experience, and as long as the problems are sorted, it's all good.

·
Registered
769 Posts
On the fence whether to buy one; don't like seeing problems on such a new bike. But at least the failures are consistent. (saw similar pattern failures whilst working for Honda.)
Maybe it's part of the Italian ownership experience, and as long as the problems are sorted, it's all good.
Seems there was quite an improvement with the quality over time. Euro 4 models should be fine, and 2018 MY comes with 3 years warranty. If you buy a used one, try to prefer 2016 models to previous ones. Some of my friend who was an Cagiva Elefant rider told me even to avoid Edition Ones at any price. As matter of fact, the bikes I saw in french forum with the most important number of problems were Edition One. The same guy also hinted to try to find a bike with at least 4500 to 5000 km on the clock (small issues such as the one experienced by Onuro appears generally before that cap ... After, remain some issues of clutch sensor, some with quick shifter, and the indicators (specially the rear ones), but beside this not much issues, and it is encouraging...

Last recommendation : if you buy an used bike, and as it would be with any European brand, pay attention to the way the current owner is doing the heating, and as well how he made the break in of the engine...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Second this.

True this!:popcorn:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Seems there was quite an improvement with the quality over time. Euro 4 models should be fine, and 2018 MY comes with 3 years warranty. If you buy a used one, try to prefer 2016 models to previous ones. Some of my friend who was an Cagiva Elefant rider told me even to avoid Edition Ones at any price. As matter of fact, the bikes I saw in french forum with the most important number of problems were Edition One. The same guy also hinted to try to find a bike with at least 4500 to 5000 km on the clock (small issues such as the one experienced by Onuro appears generally before that cap ... After, remain some issues of clutch sensor, some with quick shifter, and the indicators (specially the rear ones), but beside this not much issues, and it is encouraging...

Last recommendation : if you buy an used bike, and as it would be with any European brand, pay attention to the way the current owner is doing the heating, and as well how he made the break in of the engine...
Thanks for your insights.
Please explain what is "heating"; does the MV engine like to be warmed up few minutes before riding off with a cold engine?

The bike I'm looking at is a new 2016 hold over, so I am prepared to suffer the problems mentioned on mvagusta.net.
I just hope the dealer provides a loaner bike so I can get home...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thanks for your insights.
Please explain what is "heating"; does the MV engine like to be warmed up few minutes before riding off with a cold engine?
Well, I've never figured out any issue with any of the bike as long as I pay attention to oil temperature before put the engine to charge, and it is supposed to be important for any European brand engine: oil temperature is key, as well as the internal abrasion of mobile equipment during the break-in. As matter of fact, I bought at some point a MY 2000 Triumph Speed Triple of which the engine was rebuilt at 5000 kms: the break in was not done, and the top part of the engine suffered, requiring a full rebuilt with some part changes...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well, I've never figured out any issue with any of the bike as long as I pay attention to oil temperature before put the engine to charge, and it is supposed to be important for any European brand engine: oil temperature is key, as well as the internal abrasion of mobile equipment during the break-in. As matter of fact, I bought at some point a MY 2000 Triumph Speed Triple of which the engine was rebuilt at 5000 kms: the break in was not done, and the top part of the engine suffered, requiring a full rebuilt with some part changes...
Understand.
The Buell I currently ride is the same; when from a cold start, it likes to be run for a few minutes before riding.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Searched and hope someone can help.

Does anyone know the part number to the Updated clutch sensor?

thanks,
A few months back I was dealing with clutch sensor problem.
I spent hours trying to track one down other than buying from a dealer, without success.
In the end all that was wrong with the clutch sensor system on my bike was air.
There's a longer story I won't go into here.

If your bike's sensor is leaking; here's what I would do if mine:
remove the sensor
clean the sensor with brake cleaner
apply JB-Weld to seal it the plastic to the brass part
Then reinstall and see if it holds.

Note, the sensor wires are soldered to the two terminals and insulated with heat shrink tube.
The wires do not have polarity.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The clutch sensor on my bike has not leaked yet but I do get the problem of not being able to start the bike in gear and clutch actuation will not disengage the cruise.

Thanks for the prompt responses and the link to the updated part numbers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The clutch sensor on my bike has not leaked yet but I do get the problem of not being able to start the bike in gear and clutch actuation will not disengage the cruise.
Does the clutch switch work when the bike is at ambient temperature; then stops working when the engine is warm?
Yes: try bleeding the clutch slave cylinder.
No: the switch could have an internal fault.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts