MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just (a week ago) got my new Brutale 800 and I am extremely happy on that bike and it puts more than a smile on my face.
Put 800km so far and haven't been to the fisrt service yet.
But, I've never ridden a bike with eas or "quickshift" before.
On my Brutale quickshifter seems to be working quite quirky and odd...
I have found it's reliable only between 3 and 4 k rpm and with a low throttle opening. Outside of that parameters, I can't predict what is going to happen at all.

For example today, I was driving in 3rd gear at 4.5-5k rpm and wanted to upshift, the shifter first got into neutral and then switched back to 3rd. The other day, I was riding at 6-7k rpm, and hit the upshift, it switched to neutral first and then did upshift but with a loud kick inside the gearbox (felt more like upshifting at 10k with no clutch).

Is that normal, should it be handled with extreme care and only be used in a low rpm range with low throttle opening ?
Somehow I doubt and feel like ready to exercise my warranty :jsm:

Best Regards, Milan

·
Registered
166 Posts
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60370

I had a similar issue.

I ended up turning mine off, and have not had a "miss-shift" since.

You can do perfect up changes with the slightest of throttle "blips". The EAS would save you f%$k all with on road shifting (unless you dragging everyone off the lights:f4: ) I think the EAS is designed for track use, both twistie and straight tacks.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hello Milan, and welcome to the forum.
The eas system is not intended to be used at low rpm, this is most likely why you are having problems. Try using it at high revs ( 10000+) with the throttle wide open and I'll bet it works perfectly. For normal street riding I would recommend using the clutch like any other bike.:)

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Welcome to the forum Milan

Greg is right (this doesn't happen very often :jsm:), eas is designed for higher rpm applications, and don't pussy foot it, make sure you move those gear into place.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
if you are new to the bike and QS, this is what I did back then, find an open road just use right hand only to turn the throttle open and up shift every single gears as you go until you get use to it

usually most QS set at 7500rpm some are set at SENSITIVITY AND KILL TIME

GOOD LUCK, AND HAVE FUN TO PLAY WITH IT

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all the answers, my sleep is a bit easier now :) I will most certainly try to nail the throttle open and not pussy foot it, a see how it goes. Need to wait for this weekend (an I'll come back with the feedback) and very early in the morning as all roads in my area will be packed with traffic any other time.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yet reading more from earlier Letme2305's post gives me more confidence that I did not break anything and that quickshifter is not faulty, but rather a driver being a gentle pussy that is used to drive low-reving ducati monster s2r.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
In 12 years of shop experience, I have learned that the vast majority of "shifting problems" can be fixed by adjusting the shift lever to the right position to ensure a solid, positive shift.
A lot of people just barely dab on the lever causing lots of miss-shifts.

I have ridden dozens of B800/675 with EAS and it worked beautifully on everyone of them - at pretty much any rpm. But generally electronic sifters work best at med-hi rpm under solid or hard acceleration. Sometimes they can be a bit finiky when trying to shift with neutral throttle.
You have to remember, electric shifting came from the drag racing world, not the commuting or touring environment.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking about going for adjustable foot pegs, or even the whole rearset as I thought I would like shorter gear lever travel...but I think I can get used to the stock setup, as we're on better (friendlier) terms day by day, each day when riding. And I actually like the way stock pegs look with small mv logos while they offer decent traction with the foot.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
In 12 years of shop experience, I have learned that the vast majority of "shifting problems" can be fixed by adjusting the shift lever to the right position to ensure a solid, positive shift.
A lot of people just barely dab on the lever causing lots of miss-shifts.
That's the first thing I changed when I got home after picking up my bike, the shift lever was set far too high, you needed to be double jointed to get a positive change, I lowered it by about an inch.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the first thing I changed when I got home after picking up my bike, the shift lever was set far too high, you needed to be double jointed to get a positive change, I lowered it by about an inch.
I am getting used to it. Also, I haven't tried (yet, will do next weekend) riding with proper racing boots. As they fix ankle in sharper angle I wonder will that make a positive difference.

·
Registered
31 Posts
EAS Issue

I had no end of problems when I started using the EAS. Did not take long to realise I was the problem.
One habit I had to change was moving my foot up close ready to change gear in anticipation, any bump you hit or just a bit to close with my boot and I had an unexpected gear change.
The other thing was my head was telling me it was simply a clutchless change, which meant I was moving the throttle without realising it, you have to keep the throttle constant.
Took a while to change these habits, but now the EAS works perfect, would not turn it off now.
Has created a sideline issue though as has stuffed me up doing clutch less
shifts on my other bikes as the MV is the only one I have with a quick shifter.
The 800 MV is the most exciting bike I have owned.:smoking:

:f4:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally agree, it just takes few rides to get used to foot position and gearing, and it's an awesome bike (much better than the rider in my case, lol). I can't even compare it against my other bike (ducati monster s2r 1000), totally different character. And the handling, feels more like an angry bicycle than a motorbike, I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
H Milan, this is my first EAS and is was scary at first but now I have worked it out and it is bliss.
Did find my linkage was loose so first thing was to tighten it up.
Next was to figure out how to use it.
On the charge, above 7000rpm with throttle nailed seemed to work best.
Not for use when cruising.
Have been checking the mirrors and definitely gain when in attack mode.
Give it the berries and you will find yourself in the zone with EAS.
:smoking:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. Was going to try that today, but it was so cold and wet outside that my B3 was dancing on the road at first. Had traction control set at 2 (was too lazy to change it) and it was wiggling underneath my ass all the time. Didn't event think about going past 6k rpm in those conditions. I'm a pussy :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All right. Got my 1000 km service done. Software being updated, and quickshifter now works much better, even with no issues at low rpm. Also the engine runs noticeably better (much more stable) at idle and low rpm and when cold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts