MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
if you prepare yourself, i agree with donsy on the track. however, be careful in routine situation, like pulling into the box, that is when i
shifted the wrong way.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
I guess the real question is does it really help on the track? I'm picking up a bike this week that's been converted to GP shift and I'm wondering if its going to be helpful or just darn confusing... :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess the real question is does it really help on the track? I'm picking up a bike this week that's been converted to GP shift and I'm wondering if its going to be helpful or just darn confusing... :)
Firedancer,Donsy, fast guys , I think this people said that is a change very important, if you want go fast.
May be in street is not important...but in circuit yes.

·
Super Moderator
22,475 Posts
I think it is desirable on the track because it gets your foo out from under the shift lever while on the gas exiting a turn. Your clearance to ground is very tight and it takes catching your boot out of the equation.

On a track day, on a normal shift Ducati Monster, I did just that, caught my boot on the curbing exiting a corner as I went to up-shift. It launched me sideways and tore part of my boot sole and bent my shift lever. I saved the bike with some judicial aerobatics and lived to tell the tale. If it had been GP shift, well I don't think it would have happened and I wouldn't have a "good story".

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think it is desirable on the track because it gets your foo out from under the shift lever while on the gas exiting a turn. Your clearance to ground is very tight and it takes catching your boot out of the equation.
+ 1

it is generaly more stable to up shift under hard
acceleration, and in addition, it allows you to shift
in positions, you would not dare to shift otherwise.

here an example, of a race track, where you have
to be very brave for shifting with normal setup:

Hockenheim parabolica (the first 17 seconds of the video
speed up to 300 km/h, and shifting at some lean angle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwKC-ozsmYs

but on the street, the reverse shifting is completely useless.

·
Registered
614 Posts
+ 1

it is generaly more stable to up shift under hard
acceleration, and in addition, it allows you to shift
in positions, you would not dare to shift otherwise.

here an example, of a race track, where you have
to be very brave for shifting with normal setup:

Hockenheim parabolica (the first 17 seconds of the video
speed up to 300 km/h, and shifting at some lean angle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwKC-ozsmYs

but on the street, the reverse shifting is completely useless.
Turns 11 and 12 at Phillip Island are not quite as fast but you go through 3-4 gears through those two turns, flat out. I got my foot stuck under the lever once (using road shift) and by the time I got through the corner had a hole in my sock...

Took me a while to get used to race pattern shifting until it was automatic. Probably two full practice days.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns 11 and 12 at Phillip Island are not quite as fast but you go through 3-4 gears through those two turns, flat out. I got my foot stuck under the lever once (using road shift) and by the time I got through the corner had a hole in my sock...

Took me a while to get used to race pattern shifting until it was automatic. Probably two full practice days.
Jajaja.
I realise that is important in race or track,not in street and you you don't need more time to get use to.

Enviado desde mi GT-N7100 usando Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
I rode my FZR400 with it's reverse pattern the other day. Only missed a couple of shifts. It was second nature in just a couple of minutes. Of course this was on the street and not on the track.

The only caution I would give when your first starting out is to be mindful of accidentally downshifting when you want to upshift. When your winding it up and want to upshift and accidentally downshift your going to be bouncing off the rev limiter almost instantly. I could imagine that could cause some pucker factor in the right situation. :)

My FZR is pretty tall and I notice virtually no wear at all on the rear sets from scraping against the track by the previous owner. I'm probably going to switch it back to standard shift unless I have clearance issues. Luckily it takes about 5 minutes to reverse the shift pattern on the FZR by swapping a single part in the shift linkage.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
I use the reverse shift an will not go back. I do not think you will be use to it in only two laps. Your biggest problem will be the laps after you stop thinking about it and focus on the corners and braking. For your first few laps you will be thinking of shifting it is after that which you must still be aware of it. Need to retrain your brain.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
I use the reverse shift an will not go back. I do not think you will be use to it in only two laps. Your biggest problem will be the laps after you stop thinking about it and focus on the corners and braking. For your first few laps you will be thinking of shifting it is after that which you must still be aware of it. Need to retrain your brain.
Exactly. That's what surprised me. I started thinking about the corners instead of the shifter and blamo I'm up against the rev limiter.

I may go back to the GP shift but not until I actually need it. :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
I found an easy way to get used to race pattern shift was to be thinking 'head down, shift down & head up, shift up'. The few times I get it wrong are always shifting to a higher gear instead of a lower thankfully, and usually on the cool down lap. It really isn't as difficult as you would think.

·
Registered
375 Posts
With a shifter is better to use GPshift also on street , otherwise when you hit the lever on bumps , the CPU don't realize that you aren't change gear , I had two times the case (horrible overrun , the F3 crank is very inertialess)
But there is a bad side , downshifting is more slow in case of emergency .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts