MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once the new Brutale models, the 1078 RR and the 989 R, hit U.S. dealer showrooms, will they be listed as 2009 models? I can only presume they will be available in the spring.

Also, will the 910 S and 910 R models still even be manufactured?

Tim

·
Registered
33 Posts
TimMV said:
Once the new Brutale models, the 1078 RR and the 989 R, hit U.S. dealer showrooms, will they be listed as 2009 models? I can only presume they will be available in the spring.

Also, will the 910 S and 910 R models still even be manufactured?

Tim
I doubt that you'll see them in the U.S. in the spring of 08. None of the dealers I know even have the 08's yet (and those are unchanged from 07) so most likely we'll get them as 09's around the same time next year.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure? The orange Brutales (910s) have been available for some time and are 2008 models.

Tim

·
Registered
70 Posts
TimMV said:
Are you sure? The orange Brutales (910s) have been available for some time and are 2008 models.

Tim

Uhhhhh.......I believe he was asking about the 1078 and 989 and when will they be coming out in Calendar year 2008, just as the US 08's are already out in late 07. Then he asked if they will continue the 910's once the other engine cc sizes are in production from 09 on (which one would doubt MV would).

·
Registered
33 Posts
TimMV said:

Tim
I'm in NJ and the dealers here don't seem to have the 08's yet (as or two weeks ago though).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ape2Agusta said:
Uhhhhh.......I believe he was asking about the 1078 and 989 and when will they be coming out in Calendar year 2008, just as the US 08's are already out in late 07. Then he asked if they will continue the 910's once the other engine cc sizes are in production from 09 on (which one would doubt MV would).
I know what he was asking. My prediction is that you won't see the 989 and 1078 in the U.S. showrooms until the later part of 08 though - just in time for the 09 versions.

·
Administrator
20,064 Posts
I bought my '08 in August. Unchanged from '07 Euro models. They were available here in Georgia mid summer. I expect '09 will be same scenario.

And considering limited numbers of bike produced, I suspect 910 will go the way of the 750.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I may be a dumb Brit, but if a model is available in 2007 it is a 2007 model. In the shops in 2008, it's a 2008 model. Just buy it and ride it....

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Xraptor said:
I may be a dumb Brit, but if a model is available in 2007 it is a 2007 model. In the shops in 2008, it's a 2008 model. Just buy it and ride it....
The model year, at least in the states, is legally determined by the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) which corresponds to the number on the manufacturer's tag affixed to the motorcycle. Model year can - and often does - affect insurance rates, resale values, standard features, technical specifications, maintenance schedule and requirements, warranty coverage AND the LEGAL RIGHTS of the owner. The model year does NOT necessarily correspond to the year the unit was sold OR the calendar year in which the unit was first offered for sale.

·
Registered
33 Posts
emmvee said:
The model year, at least in the states, is legally determined by the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) which corresponds to the number on the manufacturer's tag affixed to the motorcycle. Model year can - and often does - affect insurance rates, resale values, standard features, technical specifications, maintenance schedule and requirements, warranty coverage AND the LEGAL RIGHTS of the owner. The model year does NOT necessarily correspond to the year the unit was sold OR the calendar year in which the unit was first offered for sale.
I can see the dumb brit's ( ;) ) point though. The whole "08 models available in 07" is nothing but a marketting ploy.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The 1078 is the OFFICIAL 2008 model as presented by MV Agusta themselves on the Milan show.
The current Euro3 910 Brute is the OFFICIAL 2007 model.

You guys in the US get your bikes about 9 months later when compared to Europe. So to make US customers feel better (as in not making them feel like they're served after Europeans), the vintage year for US MVs is shifted +1.

·
Administrator
20,064 Posts
Yes...true...but the VIN has numeral 8 in the year designator. So even if it WAS a 2007 model in other markets it IS a 2008 in the US.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
khameron said:
The 1078 is the OFFICIAL 2008 model as presented by MV Agusta themselves on the Milan show.
The current Euro3 910 Brute is the OFFICIAL 2007 model.

You guys in the US get your bikes about 9 months later when compared to Europe. So to make US customers feel better (as in not making them feel like they're served after Europeans), the vintage year for US MVs is shifted +1.

Depending on the manufacturer, the time difference is much shorter - typically just a couple of months. There are at least THREE major assembly-line changeovers to deal with, SPEC, MODEL and MODEL YEAR. Ducati, for example, runs the Euro-spec versions of one model first then they do the SPEC changeover and run the US-spec version of that same model. After that they do the MODEL changeover to manufacture the Euro-spec version of the next model in the build order then changeover to make the US version of THAT one and so on.

Add a bit of time for transit across the ocean and that's where the delay comes from.

MV makes all the F-4's then they change over to Brutales for a while. That's why your dealer will tell you they might not be getting any Brutales for several months - they've changed over to assembly of the F-4's.

Most Euro manufacturers do the MODEL YEAR changeover to their assembly lines while most of the workers are on break. "Next years" bikes start rolling out right after the long summer vacation. This allows much of the changeover to be done while the bulk of the workers are on break and the plants are idle.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I was obviously talking about Mv Agusta here. They have a smaller production capacity than Ducati, thus making the delay longer.
I agree with your explanation though.

And like XRaptor is saying "having a 8 in your VIN" doesn't make your bike a '08 model :) I know it sucks to realize that MV bikes are delivered nearly "one year late" in the US but it's a fact. MV is a European brand and also manufactured only in Europe after all so WTF are we arguing about in the end...?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
khameron said:
And like XRaptor is saying "having a 8 in your VIN" doesn't make your bike a '08 model :)
Sorry, but he's wrong, too. That's *exactly* what it means, at least in the states. Ask your dealer, your DMV, your local police department, your insurance agent, your lawyer...

Model year is determined by the VIN number, not the year of manufacturer, the year of sale, or the year in which the bike made it to the dealer. When you go to the parts counter they ask for the MODEL YEAR. It matters.

emmvee said:
The model year, at least in the states, is legally determined by the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) which corresponds to the number on the manufacturer's tag affixed to the motorcycle.

Model year can - and often does - affect insurance rates, resale values, standard features, technical specifications, maintenance schedule and requirements, warranty coverage AND the LEGAL RIGHTS of the owner.

The model year does NOT necessarily correspond to the year the unit was manufactured, the year the unit was sold OR the calendar year in which the unit was first offered for sale.

·
Registered
515 Posts
emmvee said:
Sorry, but he's wrong, too. That's *exactly* what it means, at least in the states. Ask your dealer, your DMV, your local police department, your insurance agent, your lawyer...

Model year is determined by the VIN number, not the year of manufacturer, the year of sale, or the year in which the bike made it to the dealer. When you go to the parts counter they ask for the MODEL YEAR. It matters.
I agree!

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
emmvee said:
Ask your dealer, your DMV, your local police department, your insurance agent, your lawyer...
Don't ask you lawyer, unless you are ready to pay big money for a useless bit of information. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts