MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

i'm just wondering what i should take into account when i refill coolant or when?

Currently i can't see the coolant in the tank, but the temperature is good on the highways and in the city. The fluid is expanding in the bike, and that's why i shouldn't refill to much, barley to the minimum level? :ahhh:

How do you refill or what kind of tools without removing the tank?

Thanks

·
Administrator
20,388 Posts
Should be a cap you can remove to add coolant when changing or just topping it up.

Owner's manual should show you. I'm not yet knowledgeable on the 3 cylinder bikes, but the coolant reservoir must have a cap.

I would expect it is screw on type. Use a funnel. Only fill to minimum mark.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
Up by the steering head is the white-colored translucent coolant overflow reservoir. On the side is a plug you can unscrew to add coolant.

Don't fill it higher than the minimum mark- they tend to push coolant out otherwise.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's a real pain to get coolant into the tiny hole (8mm if I remember correctly) on the overflow canister. The manual shows them using a big syringe with a tube attached. I couldn't find anything local and ended up getting a marinade injector from Bed Bath and Beyond that has a huge gauge needle. They sell them at hardware and home improvement stores and make the job much easier.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
syringes?

get giant ones at feed stores ~ $ 2.......

:drummer:

·
Registered
101 Posts
get giant ones at feed stores ~ $ 2.......

:drummer:
Good point. Plenty of those near where I grew up. Not so much where I live now. Even then they would be $20 a pop to gauge the hoity toity horse people around here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is it necessary to fill it up to the minimum-level of the tank even if i can't see any coolant in the tank? How much is there circulate in the system? I know i need to keep an eye on the dash for overheating, but i don't want to be on the roads with an overheated bike :)

Do you fill it up regulary?

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can also use a chip truck style ketchup squeeze bottle. I picked mine up at the dollar store and the nozzle fits the fill hole perfectly.

·
Administrator
20,388 Posts
is it necessary to fill it up to the minimum-level of the tank even if i can't see any coolant in the tank? How much is there circulate in the system? I know i need to keep an eye on the dash for overheating, but i don't want to be on the roads with an overheated bike :)

Do you fill it up regulary?
Should not need to add coolant routinely....however, I would make sure it is up to the minimum mark when cold.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I picked up a $2 turkey baster at my local walmart. The tip is just small enough to fit inside the opening on the tank.

Make sure the bike is cold when you fill it up. Plenty of people have wrecked the threads on that screw by undoing it while the plastic was hot...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts