MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all F3 800's have a sprag clutch problem, what is a sprag clutch?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
well supposedly the 2014 models all come with an updated Sprag Clutch. However, mine is a new 2014 model and it makes some horrible noises. Its only a matter of time before it fails. The Sprag clutch comprises of several parts which, as far as i can make out, sit between the starter motor and the crank - correct me if im wrong guys.....

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the function of a sprag clutch?

·
Registered
408 Posts
my f3 800 has started to make a mechanical clunk at times , i mentioned this to my dealer who said mv had recognised this problem and the parts would be supplied to persons who complain , but will not issue a directive to dealers to replace the sprag clutch unless owners conplain

·
Administrator
19,538 Posts
Lots of bikes use a sprag clutch (one way bearing) to connect the starter to the crankshaft without meshing gears. Old Hondas had lots of problems with sprag clutches. It still pops up now and then on various Japanese machines.
It is a common technology and MV should have no problem determining the root cause of failure and correcting it. Probably a supplier quality issue, or possibly a design specification miscalculation.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, nice links Stephen!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts