MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
New here to the forum been based on the Japaneese side of the coin at Gixxer.com.For seven years now I've been wanting a MV but just have'nt made the jump.And know with a new duc out there its just one more bike to consider. I currently have a K5 GSXR1000, with about $20,000.00 in mods.My bike is awsum but its still a jap bike either way you look at it. And dosn't retain its value. What drew me to MV is that it is an inline not a v twin. I never rode a v so I really dont know if I would even like it. Or how much different it would feel. I'm shure quite a bit. Thats why I looked into MV. I guess what I'm asking if anyone else made the change like I want to? And if their happy with the MV. I keep hearing about the throttle down low having a stumble?? Of course this is all from what I read in magazine. Thats why I joined this sight in hopes of getting some replys to help me with my deciding. I wish my dealer here had demos.Thanks for any help you guys can give.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome Jimmy. Like you, I have admired the F4 since the Oro was introduced in 1999. I have owned and ridden many sportbikes, mostly Kawasaki models. Most recently ZX-10Rs, ZX12s and ZX14s. I purchased an '07 MVF4 1000R about two weeks ago and I am very happy that I added the 1000R to my garage. If you decide to purchase the MV, I think your experience will be similar to mine. The MV power delivery is very similar to my '05 10R, but the MV handles better. As noted by many on this board, the only dissapointment I had after my initial evaluation was the very weak rear brake. Other than that, you will not be dissapointed by any attribute of the 1000R's power or handling. Tamburini's "timeless design" of the F4 is what is most remarkable about this motorcycle. Eight years after its introduction it is (IMHO) the most beautiful motorcycle ever designed. The F4 design still looks "cutting edge" today compared to any other model on the road, much less any 1999 model sportbike.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
What city are you in? It's very possible that the MV dealer near you may have a demo that you can test ride and decide for yourself. But be warned, it's usually what separates us from our $$$. :)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
well i have a 1000R for 3 months now and all i can say is awesome bike, but for me to get to awesome i modified bits of the bike i thought should have come standard and some other mods. The 1000R rev range is not smooth when stock the rear brake goes weak when the tempatures is over 100 degrees for a period of time. But what you need to know is anything that doesnt feel right to when you buy the bike, you can change or adjust.

If your really intrested on the 1000R and do buy one im here to help along with everyone else on this forum.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for all the info. I live in northern Illinois. As far as I know ther is only two dealers in the state. One down in Springfield. And aother near me in Villa Park. I forgot to ask one important question thought. Can I service the bike? Or would you suggest going to dealer? How long before valves need adjusting?? I was told servicing is more often and a bit expensive compared to Jap bike? Thanks agian all is really appreciated

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Servicing is usually more expensive than Jap bike but it really depends on where you live. In some places, it can be twice as much while in others, it could be only a third. For example, the first service w/ vavle inspection is $600 in Los Angeles but $450 in Tucson, AZ. Without inspection, the first service can run about $200.You could probably negotiate a free first service when you get your bike (especially if it's a 2006 F4S model). The 2006 S models are going for $20K or less since it's being replaced by the R model.

Valves are inspected/adjusted at the first service and then every 7,500 miles. There's a shop manual for the 750 MV on this site in the articles section BUT the MV does use a some special tools (as you'll seen in the shop manual).

http://www.mvagusta.net/articles.php

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Welcome to the site guys, nice to see a fresh new perspective on things. MV's for me are practical works of art which are as good as most Japanese bikes performance wise but knock them sideways in the design and aesthetic appeal stakes. As for the in line 4 versus V twins debate, I love both, so mortgage the cat and buy both if you can. :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Welcome to the forum, pleanty of members own both machines, not only Italian & Japanese but V twins & in line fours, you will get some good advice here, but the choice will be yours....

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
All good questions. Checking the valves is an easy process and it's extremely unlikely you'll need to adjust them, ever. Keep up on the regular maint like any good bike and it will serve you well. The only effort you can expect is with regard to syncing the throttle bodies and tuning the fuelling every so often. This is also needed on Japanese bikes just less often done by casual owners because the effects are somewhat less pronounced. I think of it more like a carb'd bike. Anyone with dirtbikes or a lot of exposure to carb'd bikes knows they take some fiddling every now and again to keep them running in top condition.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well went to dealer today and sat on the 07 f4 R. Bike is a little tall for my short legs would have to lower it a tad. Shouldn't be that much of a problem. But what I did notice is that the seat was like a rock. I sat on it for about five min and my ass was already starting to hurt. Do you guy use another seat or just suffer with the one that came with it? Oh by the way here were prices I got today. And no demos left to ride!!
Thanks

07 F4R $25200.00 out the door included all fees.

05 F4S $19900.00 out the door, no 06 's were left.

First service $500.00

·
Registered
142 Posts
The 05 for $19900 it's to much you can get the 06 otd for $20300 in atlanta.
The dealer in Utah can lower the price on a 05. :ahhh: :ahhh:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Jimmyz said:
Well went to dealer today and sat on the 07 f4 R. Bike is a little tall for my short legs would have to lower it a tad. Shouldn't be that much of a problem. But what I did notice is that the seat was like a rock. I sat on it for about five min and my ass was already starting to hurt. Do you guy use another seat or just suffer with the one that came with it? Oh by the way here were prices I got today. And no demos left to ride!!
Thanks

07 F4R $25200.00 out the door included all fees.

05 F4S $19900.00 out the door, no 06 's were left.

First service $500.00
They're a couple of aftermarket seats for the MV (in different colors too). I think Fast by Ferraci makes some. You may want to take a look at the parts offerred by our board sponsor emoto in the UK. http://www.emotouk.com/mvagusta/f4seats.htm

As for the height, if the adjusting the front and rear ride hieght isn't enough, you could try lower profile tires, or maybe a linkage from a 750. If you want to read more about it, here's my story: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2852

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Allan I checked the thread out. So what did you finally do to get it to your ride hieght like you wanted. I tried following thread but really didn't get a good answer. Dose the rear have adjustable links like you can get for Jap bikes? Did tire thing help? Thanks agian sorry if I'm asking to many questions. It's just that the bike is 25K. My K5 GSXR1000 was half that. And fits great and is comfortable. But I really want a MV, theres got to be ways of modifying somehow. If it were a track bike the hieght won't matter but I'm not using this for that purpose.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
What we did was lowered the ride height and used a linkage from a 750 MV which is suppose to be shorter but we left the stock tires. I also got a pair of boots with more sole (since Vetebraes are really thin). It's still a bit high but I can manage it - my inseam is 30 btw.

·
Registered
617 Posts
You can do better on the prices, especially in Atlanta. 05 leftover S models are around $17,500 with no fees, just add tax, and that should be your OTD price.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
What we did was lowered the ride height and used a linkage from a 750 MV which is suppose to be shorter but we left the stock tires. I also got a pair of boots with more sole (since Vetebraes are really thin). It's still a bit high but I can manage it - my inseam is 30 btw.

I struggle slightly with the height, I have two pairs of boots, Sidi Vertabrea and Dainese, the Sidi's are so protective around the ankle that it stops my foot bending enough and they make me feel unsafe, The Dainese are an old pair and bend quite nice, I feel much more confident in these when I stop than the Sidi's, I know it's protection bla, bla, etc, but with the Sidi's I would have probably had a tumble by now when I was stationary

·
Registered
409 Posts
the seat felt like a piece of ply wood in the show room . on the road i dont even mind it . give it a few rides see if u can adjust

·
Registered
14 Posts
MVMANIA said:
If your really intrested on the 1000R and do buy one im here to help along with everyone else on this forum.

Hello MVMANIA. I am planning to get MV1000R in a near future. However, after 15 years of all sort of Honda motorbikes (now CBR1000RR) I do have some questions:

- is the rear bike useless on every MV? Is there anyway to fix that for good?
- fan melting broblems? Has the factory fixed that already?
- fuelling matters? Is Powercommander a must with MV1000R too?
- servicing of MV. I do most of bikeservice by myself. However, valve adjustments I leave to professionals. How ofter valve clearences must be adjusted. I know that clearence checking is done after first service and after that in every 12.000kms.
- brakes. I have read from this site that MV brakes are not that great. Is that really true?

All the experiences and comments of MV1000R are greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts