MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious........

Does NE1 know if MV offer an extended factory warranty similar to Yamaha's Y.E.S (Yammy Extended Sercvice)

If not has anyone purchased an extended warranty for bikes, if the exist in the U.S?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yes I bought an extended warranty - extra 4 years over the factory. It includes labor so I thought it was worth the $1000 for 6 years. It is not a factory warranty though. I think the bike is a keeper - and I'll probably put a ton of miles on it in the next 24 months so for me it is worth the cash for the peace of mind - most people probably won't agree.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thaks for the input. Pretty much what I was looking for

Who did you get it through?

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's not so much about faith as $100phour labor rate in NY/CT/NJ/PA the costs of MC ownership and the initial investment of above 15K has to be protected - besides I have owned 2 Ducs so I have expierience!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Be advised that those extended warranties do have a lot of exclusions (no where as good as factory warranty). You need to read them carefully to see what's included. I have a 4 year extended warranty from Pinacle (which comes highly recommended) for my Duc. Haven't used it yet, but before purchasing it, I went through all the fine prints and it does exclude half the typical stuff. On the other hand, I took my Duc to my local (seattle Ducati) dealer for the 12K service, and found out my fuel pump and regulator assembly were on their last leg. The part costs $800! Although it was several months past my factory warranty, the Ducati rep told my dealer they'd cover it...(that's called service) so haven't been able to use my extended warranty yet. But I know for major things like engine work, it'll be money well spent. :drummer:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply's, I was just curious as to what was available (good and bad)

Normally I tend to look for what is "not" covered on extended warranties....Seems to be easier for me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i'm glad you asked this question.. i'm not sure if i should buy the extended warranty offered by Pro Italia or should i buy my own.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I don't want to give the impression I am against extended warranties, I'm not and have them for cars. If it was a 4 valve ducati we were talking about I'd tend to agree.

For cars it can go either way. If you have a good relationship with the dealer have a look at what they offer. Shop around. Dealer margins can be very very high.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
be advised that the extended warranties are a VERY profitable segment of business for dealers. and that these warranty programs are not ususally offerend (never?) by the manufacturer, but rather by a third party company.

read the agreement very carefully. you might be surprised by what you find.

alex

·
Registered
878 Posts
A few of other points;
1- They are cheapest when purchased at the time you buy your bike. ($450~$650)
2- After the purchase of the bike, they are still reasonable in cost when your factory warranty is still in effect. But may be at a couple hundred $ more. (Generally between $650~$950 depending when and where you buy it)
3- After the factory warranty runs out, they are either no longer available for purchase or if available the cost would be prohibitive.
4- I went to my dealer of choice to buy it. A friend shopped around and bought the a similar policy for a couple hundred dollars less from an out of state dealer. My thought is always buy from where you expect the service support. If you buy from somewhere else (cost shopping for the cheapest), don't expect the same level of service.

Note: I have always found by staying loyal to my dealer/mechanic, they have always gone beyond and above to support me, and found ways to get me on the road without charging me for it; because they know I'd be back another time for service...example of it was the "free" $800 fuel pump/regulator after my warranty ran out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So is there no factory MV extended warranty? Having had aftermarket exotic car warranties in the past I will never buy a non factory warranty again. When it comes to making a claim, good luck. Not a big fan. Has anyone here actually been re-imbursed for a large expense from an aftermarket warranty? If so, which ones.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Before purchasing mine, I did ask the same question from my dealer. They gave me a few examples of where they covered different expenses. They did say that policies vary from company to company. They also said that they've had better luck and experience with Pinnacle. I typically trust their words since they have never led me wrong. They also pointed out that it is not any where close to a factory warranty. You can't go to them for nickle and dime stuff, but for major stuff outside of normal wear and tear...and may be a few more, it may pay for itself should you require major work. For me, I have it on my Duc as a piece of mind so I can put a lot of miles on it without the fear of high cost of repairs. I don't put as many miles on my MV, i tend to ride my Duc much harder and put more miles on it as the result of this comfort.

The other factor I was considering was the fact when i try to sell my Duc with high miles on it. If there's no remaining warranty on the Duc with high miles...then good luck trying to sell it. But if you have even one year of warranty left on the bike when you try to sell a high miles bike, hopefully it should move quick, as buyers see that as a safety net/garranty/warranty and assurance that the bike is not in need of repairs...

Factories do not sell extended warranties to my knowledge.

·
Registered
878 Posts
juice it said:
Has anyone here actually been re-imbursed for a large expense from an aftermarket warranty? If so, which ones.
One note here...if you buy the policy from the service dealer you deal with, I believe you don't file a claim for reimbursements (if covered item). The dealer does, and you only pay the deductible. However, if you buy a policy that your dealer does not represent, I'd imagine you'd have to possibly pay for it out of pocket and then turn a claim in to your insurance...which I can see being a hassle!

·
Registered
59 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
Be advised that those extended warranties do have a lot of exclusions (no where as good as factory warranty). You need to read them carefully to see what's included. I have a 4 year extended warranty from Pinacle (which comes highly recommended) for my Duc. Haven't used it yet, but before purchasing it, I went through all the fine prints and it does exclude half the typical stuff. On the other hand, I took my Duc to my local (seattle Ducati) dealer for the 12K service, and found out my fuel pump and regulator assembly were on their last leg. The part costs $800! Although it was several months past my factory warranty, the Ducati rep told my dealer they'd cover it...(that's called service) so haven't been able to use my extended warranty yet. But I know for major things like engine work, it'll be money well spent. :drummer:
This statement is mostly incorrect, an aftermarket extended service contract will often times cover more than the factory "bumper to bumper coverage. read your factory coverage closely, many, if not all and more of the exclusions you are talking about are in the fine print here as well. that being said, I am a firm believer in the purchase of an extended service contract. not only because I sell them, but i buy them and have used them as well.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Bigs said:
This statement is mostly incorrect, an aftermarket extended service contract will often times cover more than the factory "bumper to bumper coverage. read your factory coverage closely, many, if not all and more of the exclusions you are talking about are in the fine print here as well. that being said, I am a firm believer in the purchase of an extended service contract. not only because I sell them, but i buy them and have used them as well.
Fair enough....
judge for yourself! Attached is a list of exclusions on my policy. In my experience the only thing my factory warranty did not cover was the service...(left of the page)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts